Defense

packman31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching all the playoff games and the superbowl I think that it has been the defense that has made the difference of wining or losing not the quarterbacks. So this off season the packers need to upgrade the defense if they want to make a run at it next year.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching all the playoff games and the superbowl I think that it has been the defense that has made the difference of wining or losing not the quarterbacks. So this off season the packers need to upgrade the defense if they want to make a run at it next year.

Not much of an upgrade. Need to keep the Dline deep and hopefully healthy. The loss of Jolly and Cole hurt that rotation. Cannot keep the CB on the WR by themselves if there is no rush.

Need more work on the D scheme, than the player quality.

Also improve the run and we will be good.

TexasPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree the way the Pats were playing the Giants should have blown them out. The Giants seem to only be able to beat good teams by a few points when they are playing horrible. Their defense won this years palyoffs/superbowl NOT their sub par offense. Just my 2cents. Congrats Giants, happy to see Strahan get a ring but also disgusted to see cry baby Eli get one as well.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

One player, or one slight modification. Let's move up from the #6 D.

I was thinking Lance Briggs, but I don't ever want to deal with Rosenhaus ever again.

So maybe all we need to do is throw in an occasional blitz when the front four can't get it done, and help our CBs when they're getting beat.

I really think we're close. I sincerely think we're one change away from winning the SB, and that change most likely needs to be on D.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we can win the SB with the defensive personnel we have now. IMO, we need to at least make some schematic modifications, at least, but our defensive personnel can get it done. What I would like to see, and what i think we really need, is a top-tier guard to anchor our line. Look at what Wahle and Rivera were able to do. I think our tackles are sufficient for at least one more year (until Colledge takes over for Clifton, at least), and I like the job that Wells is doing. He's always improving. What I'd like to see is Spitz or Coston at one guard, and a top-tier Guard signed for the other side. I think that could be the one personnel move that could put us over the top.

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense wins Championships?...ugh I think we had this discussion last year, didnt we? LOL one of those endless debates.

I see it as the TEAM. Defense is just as important as the Offense. One or the other can win a game or two, but you cant have one without the other to win consistently.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packman31 said:

So maybe all we need to do is throw in an occasional blitz when the front four can't get it done, and help our CBs when they're getting beat.

It's just not that easy. If it was...don't you think we would have? Do you think that little of MM and Sanders?

Reaction score
To be fair, I think Sanders tried blitzing packages the last few games of the season when our front four wasn't doing as good as it had earlier.

That showed that Sanders was willing to do something if the front four couldn't generate a rush. Hopefully Sanders will be able to watch tape and adjust our scheme a bit to incorporate more complex blitzes.

The problem with blitzing LBs is that they have to at least get pressure on the QB, or you are screwed. On more than one instance I recall seeing our LBs blitzing but getting no where near the QB.

So maybe part of the reluctance by Sanders to blitz more was that he didn't think we had the personnel, or perhaps he felt the personnel needed to be taught more about appropriate blitzing and that teaching would have to occur this off-season in the OTAs.

Pre-season showed the Packers had the packages to send blitzes (Bigby vs Seattle in the pre-season), yet strangely we barely used that play during the regular season. So another part of the problem could be Sanders conscious non-recognition of the blitz packages within his scheme.

Basically there are a number of explanations for our lack of blitzing, and it's too easy to say Sanders doesn't have the blitz packages in his scheme (not that you were implying this Zombie).

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Recent teams that thought they were fine and almost there in the off-season. We need some stars.

Bears
Saints