Defense under Barry

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How are the Packers going to replace Gary? His injury was so devastating, they wouldn't replay it. With Ramsy and Z out, are there any bodies left at OLB with Gary probably lost for the season and maybe lost deep into next season. Mercilus is out too with a new injury. Seahawks got shut out but the Packers sure got beat up.

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gary's injury could be a big blow though. not sure if he will be back this season based on the fact that they wouldn't even show the replay.
Agreed. That one could be devastating for the D. Let's hope for the best

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not 96 no way...there is only one 92 - and IMHO is the best defensive player to ever play.
White is a legend but is only 1 player. This team has no "current" legends on defense but is playing like an all-time great squad. It says a lot about coaching

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did not like the two man rush. We did get an int on the play but just lucky Wilson did not notice it right away. We somehow got to him.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did not like the two man rush. We did get an int on the play but just lucky Wilson did not notice it right away. We somehow got to him.
That....was the purpose of the two man rush; to keep Wilson off-balance mentally and it worked

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So many overly emotional dudebros got way up in their feelings and blew a gasket on here when they hired Barry. Weird that we're not hearing from them.

Reaction score
White is a legend but is only 1 player. This team has no "current" legends on defense but is playing like an all-time great squad. It says a lot about coaching
I was going to mention that. It’s more like a bunch of guys as a unit with nearly everyone playing solid ball. The sum of its parts are greater than the individual aspects kinda defense.

Reaction score
If this defense keeps pace, my opinion isn't wrong. That was my point but I should have said that in my post
What’s intriguing is we’ve averaged 18.0 points allowed without our best Pass Rusher and a shutdown Corner. I honestly think the potential is there to stay into a top 3-5 scoring Defense by seasons end. We just sunk into elite category today.
I’m seeing nearly everyone discounting the Packers D. It’s actually our Defense keeping us in games.

I noticed one source ranked our Defense #16 overall before this game. That’s just ridiculous and they have zero idea what they are talking about.

Out of 11 teams who have played 10 opponents? GB ranks #2 in scoring a sliver ahead of Denver and a sliver behind Néw England.
Buffalo is the only other Defense that leads the GB Defense in scoring. GB is way under the radar (which is perfect!) and today opened some eyes to it.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll eat crow absolutely - but his scheme has changed drastically, as has his personnel.
Yeah but 1 of those things has been a negative, yet they are playing well. I really like the way Barry has played this. He decided to have the defense play as bad as possible week 1 so that there was no place to go but up the rest of the season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's done a great job. But why do Def Coord all seem to want to use a two or three man rush at times? LaFleur called a time out because on the obvious hail mary Barry was going with two and nobody else near the line of scrimmage. Yeah, it works sometimes but it is also the kiss of death.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this defense keeps pace, my opinion isn't wrong. That was my point but I should have said that in my post
Well 1996 and 2010 they were good for the entire season. Sports are filled with statistical anomalies where teams do amazing, but not for the whole length of the enchilada.

Coming into this season, I was a firm "let's give Barry a chance" guy on these forums. I know that it typically takes 1/2 to a full season for a DC or OC to implement changes. Still knowing that, I'll show the same reserve in saying that I'll wait until the end of the season to judge Barry's defense against the likes of the 1996 and 2010 squads.

They look darn good right now.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just found this quote:

Adrian Amos: (on whether he feels the Packers defense is now the best in the league): “We can’t say we’re the best if we’re in the middle of the season. We need to be able to say it at the end of the year.”

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just found this quote:

Adrian Amos: (on whether he feels the Packers defense is now the best in the league): “We can’t say we’re the best if we’re in the middle of the season. We need to be able to say it at the end of the year.”

The perfect way to answer it.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you're still hearing from most them. i was one of them. almost every one of us have said we were wrong.
Agreed. I wasn't a fan of the Barry hire but also researched him prior to this season and saw that he could reinvigorate this defense with his schemes. I assumed (and even mentioned here) that it would take AT LEAST 3 weeks before we would see any results. I'm very glad he has proven his worth up to this point. Now my only concern is that he becomes Capers-like and stops evolving his schemes after a couple seasons

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I know is after week 1, if you would have said 'Guess the number of points the Packers will give up to AZ, KC, Seattle and oh.. Alexander is out, Smith still out, Gary will miss part of a game, Clark/Stokes will miss a game and you'll be rolling with a guy named Rasul Douglas', my answer would have been 100.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm also not necessarily going to hop onto the Barry train with everyone. This defense really came alive against the Cardinals when Jerry Gray was the DC. The players could not stop gushing about Gray after the game. Granted, Barry was involved in planning for that game and has been back for the last two. It could all be coincidence, but the Packers might have also made a slight coaching shift or they've just responded better since then.

I don't know exactly how or why the defense is playing the way that it is...but I hope that the Packers do!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm also not necessarily going to hop onto the Barry train with everyone. This defense really came alive against the Cardinals when Jerry Gray was the DC. The players could not stop gushing about Gray after the game. Granted, Barry was involved in planning for that game and has been back for the last two. It could all be coincidence, but the Packers might have also made a slight coaching shift or they've just responded better since then.

I don't know exactly how or why the defense is playing the way that it is...but I hope that the Packers do!
It would be safe to assume that Barry and Gray work well together. That would mean continuity.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the Rams are probably our biggest test, of the remaining games on the schedule. The good news, we have Joe Barry, who as their assistant head coach and linebackers coach for 4 years, should have a decent understanding of both the Rams Defense and offense.

Barry's knowledge was probably pretty handy when getting ready to play both the Cardinals and Seahawks, since Barry faced those teams at least 8 times each.

Latest posts