defending our receivers

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Detroit really brought out how Ds are playing our receivers. And it is really simple. They jam at the line and play really tight. They don't believe we can get deep. Even though I think Adams had a lot of legitimate complaints; he has got to quit the whining and deal with it. And Rodgers is going to have to throw into single coverage deep. Back shoulder and also just put it up. Abreddaris seemed to be getting open. I hope he is allright. That two point attempt with Detroit blitzing up the middle completely free was ridiculous. Maybe the O line is just thinking too damn much. Pass in order to run. We can't do it the other way. So our receivers need to see this tight coverage as an advantage...which it could be. They need to get physical with DBs. Not just try and run their routes.

D

Deleted member 6794

That two point attempt with Detroit blitzing up the middle completely free was ridiculous. Maybe the O line is just thinking too damn much.

The Lions blitzed with seven guys on that play. With the Packers having only six blockers it was by design that one rusher would get unblocked. Rodgers had enough time to get rid of the ball but should have placed it better. Adams could have hold on to that ball though as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions blitzed with seven guys on that play. With the Packers having only six blockers it was by design that one rusher would get unblocked. Rodgers had enough time to get rid of the ball but should have placed it better. Adams could have hold on to that ball though as well.
I don't know how many they blitzed, but you let the free guy come from the outside, not right up the middle. If they come from the outside, you can step up, or theoretcially should be able to step up into a pocket and deliver the ball. and you're right, Adams still needs to hang on to that ball. It was a bit short, but I see WR's all over this league make tougher catches on a consistent basis.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know how many they blitzed, but you let the free guy come from the outside, not right up the middle. If they come from the outside, you can step up, or theoretcially should be able to step up into a pocket and deliver the ball.

Yeah, Starks should have picked up Byrnes instead of Glover.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers sure looked to be the guy he should have thrown too. He seems to want Adams to be a go to guy but I have not seen that ability. Anyway, I certainly have not given up but we seem to be being outcoached right now.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The game plan, play calling, OL, RBs, and Rodgers all share the blame IMO. Even so, your defense of the Packers receivers failed: They share a good measure of blame too.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some thoughts...
As noted by myself and others when Nelson went down, his loss was going to have a deep and across the board effect. It seems now that not only is that true, but it's having an even deeper effect than originally believed.
With no true deep threat- no one to 'take the top off' of defenses, teams are playing our WR's tighter than usual. Jones has vanished; opponents will not allow him to be a deep threat. Cobb dropped what probably would have been a TD, and unless put in certain situations/formations designed to get him space, has a hard time beating tight coverage.
I don't consider Adams to be the next big star, and yesterday's performance bolstered that belief for me. His inability to control his temper and emotions resulted in a drive killing personal foul penalty. Something else for opponents to add to their book on him. I've also noticed- in particular the deep sideline pass and the 2 point attempt, that he generally doesn't do a very good job of winning body position battles and making plays on the ball. This was most evident on the 2 pt play in which he didn't adjust his body position/route enough to shield the ball from the defender, allowing him to get his arm and shoulder in front of him. Also bothersome on the same play,was that he jumped-which was completely unneeded and tried to body catch the ball, which he does often. Think of Nelson; he catches everything with his hands, away from his body. Chris Carter was another; it's a hallmark of great receivers.
Yes, he had 10 catches- but on 21 targets. Not so hot, gang.
Good to see Abbrederis have a good game; let's see if he can continue now that teams have some film to start a book on him,too.
In short, and probably beating a dead horse, we don't have anyone who can be a true #1 receiver, or that can take on enough of Nelson's role to make a difference, leaving them facing the kinds of defenses and coverages that they're having such a hard time handling. and with no threat from the TE position to help out, it's likely at this point that things won't get much, if any better.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As noted by myself and others when Nelson went down, his loss was going to have a deep and across the board effect. It seems now that not only is that true, but it's having an even deeper effect than originally believed.
That's not the half of it! This was just posted: Jordy Nelson announces hold out! Jordy Nelson has announced he will be holding out at the beginning of next year for a new deal. “I know I’m under contract but who knew how critical I was to this offense and Aaron Rodgers? I thought I was somewhat underpaid but the offense has completely fallen apart without me and Aaron now looks like an average QB.” Nelson signed a five-year deal before last season and is scheduled to make $5.5 million next season. “Look, I want to be reasonable but apparently I am to Aaron Rodgers what long hair was to Samson. So I’ll accept a deal paying me $1 less per season than Aaron makes. It's only fair.”

www.dontbelieveeverythingyouread.com

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't tell if you're being facetious or not, TJV, but I hope you're not dismissing the loss of Nelson himself, and the ripple effect the loss of his skill set and role have had on the passing game as a whole.
But I wouldn't blame him if he did want more money.

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's many things but one of them is not the loss of Jordy. One receiver does not cripple an offense when the QB is AR. Our receiving corps as a whole is an issue, our extremely poor OL play is an issue (what pocket does he have to step into BTW), our terrible, horrendous play calling is an issue, our constant 3 and outs with no offensive rhythm is an issue, AR's fear are being leveled on every play is probably the biggest issue.

Sorry man, but Jordy wouldn't fix this nor did his injury cause this.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's many things but one of them is not the loss of Jordy. One receiver does not cripple an offense when the QB is AR. Our receiving corps as a whole is an issue, our extremely poor OL play is an issue (what pocket does he have to step into BTW), our terrible, horrendous play calling is an issue, our constant 3 and outs with no offensive rhythm is an issue, AR's fear are being leveled on every play is probably the biggest issue.

Sorry man, but Jordy wouldn't fix this nor did his injury cause this.

I expected the offense to deal way better with losing Nelson but thinking not having him available isn't a reason for the unit's struggle is plain and simple wrong.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Nelson's loss apparently has had no effect on the passing game, hasn't caused any difficulty to the remaining receivers , and has had nothing to do with the changes made in how they defend us by opponents defenses or the effectiveness they've had with those changes.
Okay.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I used to think that Nelson was 1a Cobb 1b and that Adams would become a solid 2. So far it looks like Cobb and Adams are 3a and 3 3b.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
That's not the half of it! This was just posted: Jordy Nelson announces hold out! Jordy Nelson has announced he will be holding out at the beginning of next year for a new deal. “I know I’m under contract but who knew how critical I was to this offense and Aaron Rodgers? I thought I was somewhat underpaid but the offense has completely fallen apart without me and Aaron now looks like an average QB.” Nelson signed a five-year deal before last season and is scheduled to make $5.5 million next season. “Look, I want to be reasonable but apparently I am to Aaron Rodgers what long hair was to Samson. So I’ll accept a deal paying my $1 less per season than Aaron makes. It's only fair.”

www.dontbelieveeverythingyouread.com
TJV, that posting was actually on Brandon Bostick's twitter account. Since he was let go, this team hasn't had a very dynamic office.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
TJV, that posting was actually on Brandon Bostick's twitter account. Since he was let go, this team hasn't had a very dynamic office.
No kidding? Well I don't have a twitter account so all I can say is mediocre minds think alike. :(

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If these guys can not get open deep then teach 83 1 single play where he runs a clean deep route. This is getting ridiculous. There is absolutely no excuse for not getting open. If you are going to get jammed at the line then throw the db on his *** and run by him. The effort by the starters to get open is abysmal. The 2 guys chomping at the bit to break into the rotation BOTH GOT OPEN yesterday. Perillo and Abby both had nice separation. Abby even did the back shoulder pass that I haven't seen since last freaking season.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I used to think that Nelson was 1a Cobb 1b and that Adams would become a solid 2. So far it looks like Cobb and Adams are 3a and 3 3b.

Yeah, because Rodgers is doing all he can to make sure they can catch the ball.

Someone mentioned the 21 targets for Adams. How many of them were flat out misses by Rodgers. Even on the 2 pointer (I think it was the 2 pointer) had the ball be placed a bit better the defender wouldn't have had a chance to get his hand on the ball. Granted he was under pressure but those are throws he used to make.

I'm not saying it all on Rodgers but its not all on the receivers either.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, because Rodgers is doing all he can to make sure they can catch the ball.

Someone mentioned the 21 targets for Adams. How many of them were flat out misses by Rodgers. Even on the 2 pointer (I think it was the 2 pointer) had the ball be placed a bit better the defender wouldn't have had a chance to get his hand on the ball. Granted he was under pressure but those are throws he used to make.

I'm not saying it all on Rodgers but its not all on the receivers either.

Cobb had atleast one that would have been a big gainer if Cobb only held onto it.

I'm not laying all of the blame on the receivers, but lets not forget that Jordy was still effective even with matt Flynn throwing him the ball and without Randall Cobb on the field.

Reaction score
Not that this is some new information, but the more I watch our Offensive struggles the more I see multiple areas of concern, not just one area but a trifecta of circumstances that are ailing us
Like many catastrophic accidents, it is a culmination of multiple events or mishaps coming together to form one big failure.
So basically everyone is right to a degree about their hypothesis of our reasons for our latest Offensive struggles because the reasons are many and include lack of consistent current receiver production. But also other examples including:
1. Offensive Coordinator baton handoff
2. Loss of #1 deep threat producer
3. Failure of consistent pass ptotection
4. Failure of consistent QB accuracy or play
5. Regression in our Run blocking and run production

When you look at each of these examples you will notice that they each have a systemic relationship with each other, meaning when one fails, the others become stressed or overcompensate to a varying degrees. The Domino effect.
Also, some of the factors are uncontrollable (Jordy) while others are highly controllable or fixable (blocking). Some require longer durations to fix than others etc..

Bottom line: Pointing blame only aggravates the issues. As fans we have
a right to be frustrated and complain, ok, sure. But eventually we have a duty to support this great organization through thick n thin. This Packer organization has given us some of the most exciting football I've watched Since my induction as a fan in the 70's. I remember 1st hand suffering for over 20+ years in the 70's n 80's.. listening to games on the radio while hunting off County OO and amazed that a QB like Lynn ****ey could be playing after so many operations!! We nicknamed him "Zipper". Lol.
Don't sweat the small stuff. Every great player goes through a slump, if there was ever a player Id bank my $ on recovering with swagger? It'd be Aaron Rodgers
The receivers are only as good as their QB, it all starts there.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb is a good slot receiver, but Adams, Jones, and Rodgers have to be the worst WR1/2, TE combination in the league. Not a single mismatch or go-to guy among them. It would take a great scheme to succeed with them.

D

Deleted member 6794

Cobb is a good slot receiver, but Adams, Jones, and Rodgers have to be the worst WR1/2, TE combination in the league. Not a single mismatch or go-to guy among them. It would take a great scheme to succeed with them.

Just as an example, the Panthers receiving corps is for sure worse than the Packers one but they make it work somehow.