defending our receivers

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You´re picking some random plays to prove your point while ignoring the overall picture. Yeah, the players made several mistakes against the Lions but for the most part of this season the receivers have had trouble getting open and the coaching staff hasn´t come up with a scheme with more man beater routes to create separation. There´s no denying the offensive line has struggled but there are ways for the coaches to help them out as well with additional blockers.

While the players don´t play up to their potential it´s pretty obvious the offensive game plan isn´t close to perfect either.

Cobb, Adams and Jones are for sure more talented than any of the Panthers receivers.

Teams have to run the ball effectively to slow down the opponent´s pass rush.
Like maybe line up with a TE and RB for most passing plays? where they could be a receiver OR a blocker and try and keep the defense guessing? or better just to line up 5 wide with a line that has been struggling stopping a 4 man rush just so we can say we line up in different formations doesn't seem very smart either.

and your darn right i'm using a handful of plays because I don't need to go thru every single play of the game to illustrate what i've seen in the larger picture and that is people not doing their job. it always changes, but it's always somebody. When you're open and the QB puts it perfectly for you to catch and run with at least 20-30 yards of nothing but green space in front of you and you drop it. Am i supposed to ignore THAT?

That's the big play we're talking about needing. That's what everyone is complaining about. That's what everyone says we need and it was right there, yet he dropped it and it wasn't the only time this year. Hard to get momentum when you're missing every big play opportunity given to you. It kills the offense, and on 3rd down it's worse because now we punt. Instead of a big play we turn the ball over. of course I focus on it, why wouldn't I?

D

Deleted member 6794

Like maybe line up with a TE and RB for most passing plays? where they could be a receiver OR a blocker and try and keep the defense guessing? or better just to line up 5 wide with a line that has been struggling stopping a 4 man rush just so we can say we line up in different formations doesn't seem very smart either.

and your darn right i'm using a handful of plays because I don't need to go thru every single play of the game to illustrate what i've seen in the larger picture and that is people not doing their job. it always changes, but it's always somebody. When you're open and the QB puts it perfectly for you to catch and run with at least 20-30 yards of nothing but green space in front of you and you drop it. Am i supposed to ignore THAT?

That's the big play we're talking about needing. That's what everyone is complaining about. That's what everyone says we need and it was right there, yet he dropped it and it wasn't the only time this year. Hard to get momentum when you're missing every big play opportunity given to you. It kills the offense, and on 3rd down it's worse because now we punt. Instead of a big play we turn the ball over. of course I focus on it, why wouldn't I?

There are a ton of different formations best suited to either pass or the run the ball but the Packers are using only one three quarters of the time. There´s absolutely no reason to be that one dimensional.

The problem is the offense doesn´t have the chance to make big plays a lot because their receivers don´t get open most of the time. While there´s no denying it´s unacceptable to not hit on them once they get a chance it´s hard to understand the coaching staff not using man-beater routes more often to scheme them open.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You´re picking some random plays to prove your point while ignoring the overall picture. Yeah, the players made several mistakes against the Lions but for the most part of this season the receivers have had trouble getting open and the coaching staff hasn´t come up with a scheme with more man beater routes to create separation. There´s no denying the offensive line has struggled but there are ways for the coaches to help them out as well with additional blockers.

While the players don´t play up to their potential it´s pretty obvious the offensive game plan isn´t close to perfect either.

Cobb, Adams and Jones are for sure more talented than any of the Panthers receivers.

Teams have to run the ball effectively to slow down the opponent´s pass rush.
I watched a NE game a couple years ago where Brady passed like the first 30 plays or something. He did that because the other team did not believe he would keep passing and because their running game had been terrible the previous weeks. I disagree with you. Our line does the same job against the pass rush whether or not we throw in runs. Your statement is just a blanket response of all coaches that don't really know how to deal with what they have. Our running is just using up downs right now.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a ton of different formations best suited to either pass or the run the ball but the Packers are using only one three quarters of the time. There´s absolutely no reason to be that one dimensional.

The problem is the offense doesn´t have the chance to make big plays a lot because their receivers don´t get open most of the time. While there´s no denying it´s unacceptable to not hit on them once they get a chance it´s hard to understand the coaching staff not using man-beater routes more often to scheme them open.
you're absolutely right, it has nothing to do with available personnel. Forget that Cobb started the year injured. Forget that starks has been hurt off and on and lacy has missed quite a bit of time. of course you'll tell me he's played in almost every game, while true, doesn't tell us that he was injured in most of them and little used. Not being able to use all the formations has nothing to do with Adams missing considerable time, or Montgomery and losing our most experienced TE for half the year so far. It had nothing to do with losing Bulaga for a bit, and now BahkT. Surely our offense should have every play imaginable at it's disposal.

I've seen the Packers line up in all sorts of formations and run all sorts of plays. Most of them haven't worked

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of or used Sporting Charts? I was looking for the number of drops this season. They have a total of 13 drops for the Packers so far this season. Adams leads with 4 drops on 49 targets giving him the lead in number of drops and drop percentage. captainWIMM you have access to another site that lists drops, don't you? Of course catchable vs. uncatchable balls are subjective so I am wondering how this free site compares to others.
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2015/

D

Deleted member 6794

Has anyone ever heard of or used Sporting Charts? I was looking for the number of drops this season. They have a total of 13 drops for the Packers so far this season. Adams leads with 4 drops on 49 targets giving him the lead in number of drops and drop percentage. captainWIMM you have access to another site that lists drops, don't you? Of course catchable vs. uncatchable balls are subjective so I am wondering how this free site compares to others.

PFF doesn't offer their premium stats to customers anymore, so unfortunately I don't have access to a different source for drops.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
PFF doesn't offer their premium stats to customers anymore, so unfortunately I don't have access to a different source for drops.
Alright then, we expect you to somehow acquire recordings of all the games and go through them recording all the stats PFF formerly provided.
;)

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no reason why we can't do better with our current receivers. The Patriots have been winning for 1.5 decades without any great receivers. The Vikings have a better record than us without any receivers.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no reason why we can't do better with our current receivers. The Patriots have been winning for 1.5 decades without any great receivers. The Vikings have a better record than us without any receivers.
The Vikings don't rely on their passing game to win. If AP was in the backfield and our defense was playing like theirs, we'd probably win a championship. I don't think it's any coincidence that the most recent one that we took home, our defense actually showed up for games.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

None of us on here are qualified to make any reasonable assessment on what routes and schemes the Packers should be running.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're not qualified to comment on almost anything we in here - should we just quit posting? And, actually, I'm in the camp that believes just because you get paid to do a job doesn't mean someone else couldn't do it better. Think someone here could have played GM better than Al Davis or Matt Millen?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think PFF allows you to see the Signature stats when you renew. I still have a subscription from before they made that choice so I can still see those stats and right now Adams has the 12th worst drop rate among receivers with at least 25% of the team's targets. Adams has dropped 4 of 31 catchable passes. Amari Cooper is actually a little worse with 8 drops on 58 catchable balls. Dez Bryant is much worse with 4 drops on 21 catchable passes but coming back from injury probably has something to do with that.

In the same vein, Mike Evans is proving yet again that he has terrible hands (or poor concentration) as he has 11 drops on 51 catchable balls.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're not qualified to comment on almost anything we in here - should we just quit posting? And, actually, I'm in the camp that believes just because you get paid to do a job doesn't mean someone else couldn't do it better. Think someone here could have played GM better than Al Davis or Matt Millen?
I could pick better players than Thompson. All you would need is coaches to make them work, and make changes when they don't.

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
None of us on here are qualified to make any reasonable assessment on what routes and schemes the Packers should be running.

Many former NFL players and coaches have weighed-on on the problems the Packers offense, specifically the passing game, routes, schemes, have had. They've broken it down with photos and film, illustrating the problems.

Are they qualified to have opinions? Is it possible they are correct when assessing and analyzing the problems? Of course they are.

So are we as fans not allowed to agree with various opinions from these former coaches and players?
If we are, then we certainly are qualified to have our own opinions and assessments based on what we see with our own eyes, as well as the commentary and education from the former coaches and players.

Carl, shame on your high horse approach. (It's true, there are uneducated fans who really have no clue, but many others have played the game themselves, and have studied it for years, decades, listened to and learned from many experts within the game.)

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's look at tomorrow's lineup vs the Vikings.

Here's what percentage of snaps I expect each WR to get, barring them also getting injured.

Cobb- 99%
Adams- 99%
Jones- 60%
Janis- 20%

So I think it's finally time we will see Janis get some significant action out there with no Montgomery or now Abbrederis.
That Viking defense is good, and Coach Zimmer has always done a great job against Rodgers and this offense.

It's going to take a deep ball or two for us to open up the offense, and loosen their defense up. We need to hit a deep ball, or two. Can anyone here remember ONE bomb touchdown pass to Davante Adams? We've seen a couple in 4 1/2 years to little Cobb. Jones can't fly by any cornerback/safeties anymore. It's going to have to come from Janis most likely.

What amazes me is he's seemingly been able to get behind people, surprising them with his speed, but the preseason backup QBs seem to click more with him than Rodgers can/does. I don't understand how Tolzien can hit him regularily but Rodgers doesn't. That "relationship" is puzzling.

Our running game and short passes are going to keep being clogged up until we successfully hit on some deep balls over the top of the defenses. They will not respect the deep pass until we do so. So NOW is the time to hit those deep passes and put up some quick points.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The long ball was a big part of the offence. Not only hasn't it been hit on much this year, the attempts at it are way down.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As mentioned above, this is nonsense and if taken to it's logical conclusion would mean boards like this one would be reduced to posting variations of, 'Aren't the Packers great??!!'
What amazes me is he's seemingly been able to get behind people, surprising them with his speed, but the preseason backup QBs seem to click more with him than Rodgers can/does. I don't understand how Tolzien can hit him regularily but Rodgers doesn't. That "relationship" is puzzling.
IMO part of the problem - as we've discussed a lot here - is Rodgers and not just the last game. Specifically regarding your comment, even if Rodgers were playing his usual game, the difference between Tolzien and Rodgers throwing Janis the ball is the difference between pre season and regular season games. I think what Janis struggles with most is making post snap adjustments and because pre season defenses generally play vanilla schemes it's a lot easier for him to anticipate what the defense is doing. Obviously the reverse is true when defenses spend a week specifically game planning against the Packers.

I wouldn't be adverse to the idea of having Janis run specific routes no matter what the D does. For example, have him run a stop and go route along the sideline - that wouldn't interfere with other routes being run. But until the Packers actually complete some deep throws (as opposed to just having Janis run deep routes) it's not going to make Ds respect their deep passing game, which would have a domino affect on the rest of the offense. And of course the OL has to block well enough to give Rodgers time, and Rodgers has to throw an accurate ball, and Janis or others have to catch the ball. None of that has been occurring frequently enough over the past few games, let alone all happening on the same play.

D

Deleted member 6794

That Viking defense is good, and Coach Zimmer has always done a great job against Rodgers and this offense.

Once again, this is a misconception. Rodgers and the Packers have averaged 30 points in four games against defenses coached by Zimmer.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might be the most ridiculous post ever made here.
Right, because you can see we have so much talent out there. Linemen who can't block, receivers too slow and short to do anything, TE who runs like he has a boat anchor tied to him, and CBs who can't cover anything and only 1 LB who has to play every position because the others stink.

D

Deleted member 6794

Right, because you can see we have so much talent out there. Linemen who can't block, receivers too slow and short to do anything, TE who runs like he has a boat anchor tied to him, and CBs who can't cover anything and only 1 LB who has to play every position because the others stink.

While a lot of players haven't played up to their potential reading most of your posts some might believe the Packers are a sure thing to finish 0-16.

Members online

Latest posts