Dear Mike...

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw this on CHTV. REALLY liked it. Too bad they don't really read these. Lol.

Hi, Mike.

Throw out the game tape. Turn off the TV. Stop celebrating your wins over the Falcons and the Eagles. They didn’t happen.

Instead, slide in the tape of week 3. Relive the agony of outgaining the Bears by 103 yards and more than 11 minutes and still losing. Remember each and every one of those devastating penalties. Remember all the plays you should have had – remember that drop in the end zone, Quarless? That 57-yard bomb you couldn’t haul in, Jennings? And, how about that fumble, Jones? How many interceptions should you have had, Collins – three? How many sacks did you have, Clay – oh, right, none. Say all you want about how this game was “so long ago, and we’ve moved past it.” Moved past it, nothin’. Get back in it, because this is who you were last time you stepped onto Soldier Field.

Recall that you had a lead, but you let a bad team stick around (and they were a bad team). You let them stick around so long, they finally took what you’d been offering them with that winning field goal. Let that sink in for a while.

And, hey offense? You’re not done yet. Go ahead and pop in the film from week 17. You know, the one where your defense bailed you out because you couldn’t be bothered to hold onto a catch. Not a would-be 50 yard touchdown (Jennings), not a critical 3rd-and-4 (Jones). And if you did manage to catch the ball, you couldn’t always hold on to it – yes, Driver, I’m looking at you. I’m sure you’re still thinking about your four penalties, Bulaga – the only penalties the team incurred – but I’d like to remind you, just in case you forgot. Oh, and Rodgers – that faux-QB-sneak-at-the-goal-line-but-really-I’m-gonna-toss-it-to-my-RB was great in theory…probably looked fun on the chalkboard…miserable in execution, sir.

I don’t say these things to be mean. I’m not trying to tear you down or anything. In fact, I’m one of your biggest fans. But with all the positive press that you’ll be getting, with all the fawning and the hyperbolic praise, I feel like someone has to step in and remind you that this is no ordinary game you’re playing on Sunday. The Bears aren’t any other team that you can prepare for with just the normal film study and then go out and execute. This game demands so much more than that.
I’m all for watching you guys pummel the Falcons. It does wonders for anyone having a bad day, believe me. And, please, feel free to pull out that tape in March, after the season is over, when you’re sitting in the sun somewhere and starting to miss football.

But, right now?

Right now, you should put that tape on the shelf, and take a few hours to rewatch the last two Bears games. Realize that, had you won the first matchup, you would have gotten a bye and wouldn’t have needed to be road warriors in the postseason. Realize that you – every one of you – cost your team yards, points, and yes, maybe even the game, in September.

And, once you’ve watched it, strive to do better. Promise that you’ll catch the ball and hold on to it. That you’ll make the play without a false start or illegal interference. That you’ll help your team win a chance to play on the game’s biggest stage. That you’ll play like you’re capable of playing. Take that onto the practice field and into the game on Sunday.

Phew.

ThorMatthews

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago fans: REMEMBER WEEK 3 WHEN WE SMOKED YOU GUYS AT HOME 20-17, THAT GAME WHERE YOU HAD 18 PENALTIES? REMEMBER HAHA YOU GUYS SUCK.

WEEK 17, PFFT YOU GUYS WON BY 7 AT HOME AND WE DIDN'T EVEN TRY EVEN THOUGH ARE STARTERS ARE IN AND OUR GOAL WAS TO KEEP YOU OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS, THAT DOESN'T COUNT, VANILLA GAME GUYS URLACHER SAID IT.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When was this written? Great piece by the CheeseheadTV gang! God I hope someone on that coaching staff saw it..

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago fans: REMEMBER WEEK 3 WHEN WE SMOKED YOU GUYS AT HOME 20-17, THAT GAME WHERE YOU HAD 18 PENALTIES? REMEMBER HAHA YOU GUYS SUCK.

WEEK 17, PFFT YOU GUYS WON BY 7 AT HOME AND WE DIDN'T EVEN TRY EVEN THOUGH ARE STARTERS ARE IN AND OUR GOAL WAS TO KEEP YOU OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS, THAT DOESN'T COUNT, VANILLA GAME GUYS URLACHER SAID IT.
Don't forget about their secret weapon......the national anthem singer who will ignite the crowd into a fury and suck the energy out of the Packers. If that isn't enough they are also counting on their old friend "Bear Weather" to show up too.

Members online

Latest posts