1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Davon House to join Jaguars

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by captainWIMM, Mar 10, 2015.

1. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,592
    The cornerback will sign a deal averaging $6.25 million according to Ian Rapoport.

2. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,771
    Good for him I guess. I always liked him, but couldn't seem to stay healthy. It would have been a gamble to pay him that much. He's young, but even when he was playing well, I wouldn't put him at a 6.25 per range. I'm guessing their gambling he continues to ascend AND stays healthy.

3. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Good luck to him (except when he plays the Packers). I hope the Packers can sign Tramon. The Seahawks signing a UFA CB makes that a little more likely but I'm sure there are other suitors. A contract that is, in effect, a two or three year deal would be ideal as it would provide a bridge to finding another 'outside' CB. Maybe Hayward can fill that role but he hasn't shown he can yet IMO.

4. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    If we can put together a solid front 7 it will take a lot of pressure off whomever plays cornerback. Hopefully that's the plan.

5. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +633
    Yes, solid front seven and less 8 man fronts.

6. ShockwaveRider

ShockwaveRider Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +24
    Holy cow.

I like(d) Davon House but 6.25M for HIM?

Really?

7. dbain21

dbain21 Chicagoland Packer Fan

Ratings:
    +143
    I liked House in that he was a great option when someone needed some rest or was struggling. The Atlanta game comes to mind..he was the only who could cover Julio Jones that day. I liked his speed also. All that said 6.25 mil is much more than i'd like to give him... and now it makes the decision to go after re-signing Tramon much easier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,909
    Too much money for a nickel corner who hasn't proven he can start and stay healthy.

There's a reason why Jacksonville is never any good.

9. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,890
    $25 Million 4 year.....pricey up front......but (and a big "but") if he keeps getting better....will be looked at as a cheap signing in a year or two.....I just don't think the Packers saw the room for improvement.

10. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,909
    I would trust the Packers assessment over the Jaguars assessment too considering how much better the Packers have been at player evaluation and their free agents tend not to have much success elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,174
    For the most part true. James Jones was better than I thought he would be last year and caught a career high 73 passes, but you'd have to think he was getting a lot more targets as the #1 options.

Not sure how good EDS was last year in Tampa. Scott Wells was the worst center in football last year and just got cut by the Rams.

12. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,890
    I hated seeing Jones go last year, but wanted too much for a 3rd WR in our system.....EDS was on Tampa last year, so how good could his season have been? :D And with the job that Corey Linsley did at center, turned out well.

13. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    I don’t think the Packers not matching (if they were given the choice) or not offering House $6M+ per year on a contract means the Packers don’t see room for improvement in his play. I think it means Thompson set a price on his value to the Packers. And of course consideration for his value didn’t happen in a vacuum – the Packers had other FAs that were a higher priority for them.

As to being injury prone – is he more so than Bulaga? Anyway, I think the Packers would have preferred to keep him if they could, just at their price.

14. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,771
    With FA's like Cobb and Bulaga, I don't think House was the priority. I think they did see his upside, but I think Jacksonville overpaid for that upside. If he was one of the only FA's we needed to worry about, make a bit more cash would have been designated for him, but who knows what they even offered. Maybe they were 4 million apart per year, maybe a million. Maybe they didn't even make him a legit offer and decided to focus on Cobb and Bulaga? I don't know, but I do know that I don't think he's a 6+mil per year guy. Even at his best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. melvin dangerr

melvin dangerr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +133
    Never liked House! glad the Packers kicked him out of our house, $ 6.25mil too much happy hour in Jacksonville...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,592
    Tramon had a visit with the Saints yesterday, don't know how that worked out. I really would like the Packers to re-sign Williams, otherwise CB immediately becomes a position of dire need.

House isn't a nickel corner. He either starts on the outside or stays on the bench.

17. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    damn good for him. Glad to see him get that kind of money.

18. Greenbayphil

Greenbayphil Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +157
    He definitely isn't worth as much as Bulaga, but good on him going and getting the deal :)

19. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,909
    You're right. My bad. I was going for 3rd string corner.

20. Joe2887

Joe2887 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Good for him getting such a contract but I am glad TT didn't stoop to that level and pay what he wanted. No way was he worth the money he received in my eyes. Glad we spent the money on Bulaga rather than House.