David Bakhtiari signs 4 yr contract ext

D

Deleted member 6794

Instead of "trusting you", I did a little research.

You read my post about it on the previous page of this thread??? :tup:

Again, maybe Bakhtiari was too good to let hit the open market Deals are complicated. I'm not sure the contract was given to him outof fear.

It's possible the Packers felt that way about Bakhtiari all along but if that's the case spending two picks to move up some slots to draft Spriggs has to be considered a questionable move at best.

He's got the talent, but scouts questioned his commitment to football. He may never put in the work to live up to his potential.

I haven't heard about any scouts questioning Spriggs' commitment to football. Might want to share a link???

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any idea how much AR's elusiveness contributed to Bak's streak?
Why wouldn't the other 4 OL's have longer streaks, as well? AR definitely keeps plays alive with his movement in and out of the pocket, but Bak's streak is still pretty impressive.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why wouldn't the other 4 OL's have longer streaks, as well? AR definitely keeps plays alive with his movement in and out of the pocket, but Bak's streak is still pretty impressive.

Sitton and Lang had pretty long streaks without allowing a sack in the past as well. Rodgers elusiveness for sure factors into it.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to tell but Week 17 when Sitton moved to LT when Bahk was hurt Sitton gave up two sacks. Rodgers saves guys from giving up sacks but also leads to sacks because he will wait for things to develop

D

Deleted member 6794

Hard to tell but Week 17 when Sitton moved to LT when Bahk was hurt Sitton gave up two sacks. Rodgers saves guys from giving up sacks but also leads to sacks because he will wait for things to develop

Barclay would be a better comparison as Sitton shoukd have never lined up at left tackle in the first place.

There's no doubt Bakhtiari deserves most of the credit for the streak.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible the Packers felt that way about Bakhtiari all along but if that's the case spending two picks to move up some slots to draft Spriggs has to be considered a questionable move at best.

That's an incredible opinion to take on a guy who's been on the team for 4 months. David Bakhtiari is 24 years and Jason Spriggs is 22 years old. Brian Bulaga is 27 years old and two years removed from a torn ACL. Maybe the Packers wanted to lock up both ends of the line with young players? Maybe the Packers wanted a year's worth of insurance at RT in case Bulaga has knee problems?

Is there anything, any article or quote or anything, to back up your idea that Spriggs is a bust?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Probably a hard # to come up with but I am sure it helps, unless AR scrambles into a guy that the LT had contained. I do know that in 2015 Barclay allowed 10.5 sacks and Bahk allowed 5 and guessing Bahk played a ton more snaps then Barclay at LT. Maybe AR doesn't scramble well when Barclay is playing? ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Is there anything, any article or quote or anything, to back up your idea that Spriggs is a bust?

While I won't speak for Cap., I haven't implied that Spriggs is a bust. But you do have to wonder if he is less then what the Packers had hoped for. Trading 2 picks to get what many scouts perceived as a solid LT in the pros made sense at the time. Bahks contract was up at the end of 2016, find his replacement, smart drafting. Spriggs seemed to struggle during the preseason and the Packers quickly locked Bahk up into a long term contract. Maybe Plan B is for Spriggs to take Bulaga's spot, but getting out of Bulaga's contract isn't cheap, nor do I personally feel like he needs to be replaced. Not saying a solid back up Tackle isn't a bad thing, but it seems like with what the Packers gave up to get Spriggs, they envisioned other plans for him. I also don't buy into the "they traded up because he was the best player on the board" argument, especially if......they thought resigning Bahk was a high priority, which it sure seemed to be after the preseason ended.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's an incredible opinion to take on a guy who's been on the team for 4 months. David Bakhtiari is 24 years and Jason Spriggs is 22 years old. Brian Bulaga is 27 years old and two years removed from a torn ACL. Maybe the Packers wanted to lock up both ends of the line with young players? Maybe the Packers wanted a year's worth of insurance at RT in case Bulaga has knee problems?

Captain isn't calling him a bust. All he's saying is you don't trade up to draft a Tackle that high without the intention of seeing him start within a year or two.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's an incredible opinion to take on a guy who's been on the team for 4 months.

Wow, you're doing a mastererful job of putting words into my mouth.

I don't consider Spriggs a bust or disappointment by any means at this juncture.

But, with the Packers draft and develop philosophy spending four picks over the last two drafts on Hundley and Spriggs, two players that hopefully won't play any meaningful snaps this season and maybe years down the road, is questionable at best.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hundley was a head scratcher for me at the time as well, since Tolzien was adequate and still under contract for another year. But at least he was a 5th and only cost us an additional 7th rounder. While he hopefully will never have to play for the Packers, I think he has been a surprise 5th round talent and if nothing else serves as an adequate backup to AR and potential trade bait at some point before his rookie contract expires.

Last edited:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be clear my post about people calling him a bust was more in regard to patriot who said he now hopes Spriggs can be at least decent. That to me implies giving up on him being a good player which seems crazy this early

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley was a head scratcher for me at the time as well, since Tolzien was adequate and still under contract for another year. But at least he was a 5th and only cost us an additional 7th rounder. While he hopefully will never play for the Packers, I think he has been a surprise 5th round talent and if nothing else serves as an adequate backup to AR and potential trade bait at some point before his rookie contract expires.
In one of 2016's MANY blowout wins (;)) I'm hoping Hundley gets some action and shows other GM's what he can do. Would be great if TT could get a couple of mid-round picks for Hundley sometime in the next 14months. I like what I saw of Callahan and look forward to seeing his progress next preseason.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hundley was a head scratcher for me at the time as well, since Tolzien was adequate and still under contract for another year. But at least he was a 5th and only cost us an additional 7th rounder. While he hopefully will never play for the Packers, I think he has been a surprise 5th round talent and if nothing else serves as an adequate backup to AR and potential trade bait at some point before his rookie contract expires.

Hundley's performance during last year's preseason was positively surprising for a fifth round pick. Unfortunately we haven't seen a lot of him since.

Generally I don't mind using the draft to select backups at specific positions in need of depth but I'm not in favor of giving up additional picks to do so.

Would be great if TT could get a couple of mid-round picks for Hundley sometime in the next 14months.

After watching Thompson fail to get anything in return for an All-Pro guard I wouldn't hold my breath on him being able to deal a backup quarterback into a mid-round draft pick.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barclay would be a better comparison as Sitton shoukd have never lined up at left tackle in the first place.

There's no doubt Bakhtiari deserves most of the credit for the streak.

Yeah I just knew the Sitton numbers off the top of my head

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt the Packers valued Bakhtiari as an above average left tackle after he performed at a decent level for three years. Nevertheless trading up to select Spriggs indicated the Packers planned on him becoming the starting left tackle in 2017 and replace Bakhtiari to save a ton of cap space.

The team decided to re-sign Bakhtiari after the rookie struggled during the preseason. With Thompson's draft and develop strategy I don't consider it smart to spend multiple picks on backups who will only receive playing time in case of injuries (Hundley, Spriggs).

I haven't read a single post about Spriggs being already considered a bust or a disappointment. It was rightfully mentioned though that it seems the front office and coaching staff doesn't feel comfortable about him being able to turn into an above average left tackle by the beginning of next season.

Most likely extending Bakhtiari means that Spriggs will be a backup for the foreseeable furure at either left or both tackle spots.

If the Packers planned on re-signing Bakhtiari all along I woukd have preferred to draft a guard early though.

Bakhtiari is under contract for five years (including this one) and will get paid $49.676 million over the course of the deal if he plays in every single game.

He can earn another $2 million in incentives for possible Pro Bowl bonuses ($500,000 in each season from 2017-2020).

Bulaga is set to count $7.85 million against the cap in 2017 therefore I don't expect the Packers to make him a backup next season. With a dead money cap hit of $4.8 million he won't be released either.

As I've mentioned several times I prefer to have an offensive lineman best suited to play guard actually line up at the position. That has me concerned Thompson used two draft picks for the second straight draft to select a prospect who will most likely end up being a backup for years to come.
There's no doubt the Packers valued Bakhtiari as an above average left tackle after he performed at a decent level for three years. Nevertheless trading up to select Spriggs indicated the Packers planned on him becoming the starting left tackle in 2017 and replace Bakhtiari to save a ton of cap space.

The team decided to re-sign Bakhtiari after the rookie struggled during the preseason. With Thompson's draft and develop strategy I don't consider it smart to spend multiple picks on backups who will only receive playing time in case of injuries (Hundley, Spriggs).

I haven't read a single post about Spriggs being already considered a bust or a disappointment. It was rightfully mentioned though that it seems the front office and coaching staff doesn't feel comfortable about him being able to turn into an above average left tackle by the beginning of next season.

Most likely extending Bakhtiari means that Spriggs will be a backup for the foreseeable furure at either left or both tackle spots.

If the Packers planned on re-signing Bakhtiari all along I woukd have preferred to draft a guard early though.

Bakhtiari is under contract for five years (including this one) and will get paid $49.676 million over the course of the deal if he plays in every single game.

He can earn another $2 million in incentives for possible Pro Bowl bonuses ($500,000 in each season from 2017-2020).

Bulaga is set to count $7.85 million against the cap in 2017 therefore I don't expect the Packers to make him a backup next season. With a dead money cap hit of $4.8 million he won't be released either.

As I've mentioned several times I prefer to have an offensive lineman best suited to play guard actually line up at the position. That has me concerned Thompson used two draft picks for the second straight draft to select a prospect who will most likely end up being a backup for years to come.

Without inside information, there is no way to for sure say Spriggs was taken to replace Bahk or if Thompson saw Spriggs as an opportunity he couldn't pass up.

Also, just because Spriggs doesn't start now, doesn't mean he won't in a year or two or play a prominent role as a backup if someone gets hurt.

Reaction score

This is the best hypothesis so far IMO of why they overlapped Spriggs and covered his position up for the next 5 years after the sizeable commitment they made getting Jason.
Im not claiming to know the inside scoop on these moves but I do know we sacrificed two draft pics that could've been used to acquire another solid ILB or DT etc.. Day 2 draft
I like the bookends theory with the ability to swing O Tackles if needed

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While Bulaga hasn't been a pillar of good health at RT, he just turned 27 in March and under contract through the 2019 season, so I doubt he is a season or two away from leaving GB, unless there is something we don't know. So it just seems odd to me that the Packers would use a second round pick plus a 4th and a 7th to grab a guy who they viewed as "insurance". But anything is plausible, just seems like an expensive luxury pick when thought of that way. Packers have had a lot of success developing good offensive lineman picked much later in the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

Without inside information, there is no way to for sure say Spriggs was taken to replace Bahk or if Thompson saw Spriggs as an opportunity he couldn't pass up.

Also, just because Spriggs doesn't start now, doesn't mean he won't in a year or two or play a prominent role as a backup if someone gets hurt.

The Packers trading three picks to move up nine spots in the draft to select Spriggs strongly indicates the team planned on him becoming a starter next season. With both Bakhtiari and Bulaga under contract through at least the 2019 season I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Don't get me wrong I'm well aware that the Packers needed a decent backup at both tackle spots but as a draft and develop team using several picks on a player that most likely will only play in case of an injury isn't smart.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the best hypothesis so far IMO of why they overlapped Spriggs and covered his position up for the next 5 years after the sizeable commitment they made getting Jason.
Im not claiming to know the inside scoop on these moves but I do know we sacrificed two draft pics that could've been used to acquire another solid ILB or DT etc.. Day 2 draft
I like the bookends theory with the ability to swing O Tackles if needed

Here's the thing. The Packers did get a decent ilb. Maybe they like Martinez more than anyone on the board but felt they could get him later. Same with Lowry. They likely just didn't have a ilb graded nearly as high as Spriggs.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's the thing. The Packers did get a decent ilb. Maybe they like Martinez more than anyone on the board but felt they could get him later. Same with Lowry. They likely just didn't have a ilb graded nearly as high as Spriggs.

Nevertheless it's not smart that the Packers, probably only some small pieces away from being the Super Bowl favorite, have spent a total of five picks over the past two drafts on backups in Hundley and Spriggs who hopefully don't play a meaningful down this season.

Especially considering Thompson's philosophy of draft and develop with him rarely using free agency to address positions of need.

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
In today's NFL with free agent contracts getting insanely high, teams either overpay a player or don't keep him. Maybe the recent rookie pay scale is part of the reason.
I think the current pay scale is excellent. It makes the rookies earn it. I didn't like the way before when a handful of rookies were getting gigantic contracts before ever playing a snap in the NFL. This way is much better imo.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Bakhtiari is under contract through 2020, which is 5 seasons until it expires. Over those 5 years he'll make (assuming he's not cut or retires) $53.366Mil = $10.67Mil/yr.

Whether you can comprehend the "mental gymnastics" of this extension that is the reality of the contract. The Packers didn't tear-up and replace this year, they added to it with another 4 years and are able to stretch bonus (cap) money over 5 years instead of just 4 if this was done after the season.
And now we know the details of the contract which protects the Packers in the last two years in case he loses effectiveness due to injury. The only way the Packers lose in this deal is if Bakhtiari never plays as well as he has in the first three years or if he suffers a catastrophic injury between now and the end of the 2018 season. All in all it appears to me to be a fair contract for both sides.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
They need to get Lang done then too
I'll be surprised if Lang gets an extension any time soon if at all. I think they are waiting to see if he can be replaced adequately. Something to keep in mind is that Lang and Bulaga will likely be the next two linemen to be replaced. They drafted two OL in 16 and are not suddenly going to stop bringing in and developing OL in 17 and 18. If Linsley and Barclay recover from injuries, the entire OL situation is going to be looking pretty good imo. I think we'll see a Tretter extension in a month or so if he continues to play well although I think it may be more likely to be a 2 or 3 year extension.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Nevertheless it's not smart that the Packers, probably only some small pieces away from being the Super Bowl favorite, have spent a total of five picks over the past two drafts on backups in Hundley and Spriggs who hopefully don't play a meaningful down this season.

Especially considering Thompson's philosophy of draft and develop with him rarely using free agency to address positions of need.
Well, we all know that the Packers aren't immune to injuries and it's possible to still make the playoffs if you have backups capable of holding down the fort. It's how we won it all in 2011.

It's also possible that Spriggs and Hundley had slipped to a point far below where the Packers had them graded and boarded (much like Matthews). Thompson still gets at least his 7 picks regardless of moving up. I tend to prefer the trade back moves, but I'm just an amateur and am not looking at the Packers draft board (but it would be very educational to see it once).