Davante Adams

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I concur. I would go so far as to consider trading Cobb. New contract...youth on his side. He took the money and didn't raise his game, especially after Jordi Nelson went down.
I put that on TT. You shouldn't pay a guy like a #1 WR unless he proves that he can be one.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand Cobb. He could be just as good as Antonio Brown. After you get paid...it boils down to one thing...desire. Does he have it? Does he want it?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My first point was to go ahead and try Adams and go to him right away. If he sucks; go to Abredaris. You could do the same thing in the second half. You can't wait around all game for him to come around.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest problem with Adams is he seems to have all the tools and physical attributes you'd want in a reciever, but he seems to be mentally blocked this year. It's not something I saw last year in his game (like vs. Patriots) but it might be something that takes an offseason mixture of time off & hard work to fully fix.

It's not just the drops, though no matter what the stats say he IS dropping too many passes, but just the lack of confidence I have that when Rodgers passes to him it will be a completion. These guys look like they're on different pages way too much of the time. Whether it's poor disciplined route running (my guess), lack of chemistry with Rodgers, or lack of a strong understanding of the playbook and his routes in the offense he isn't exactly inspiring confidence that he'll turn it around this year. But I also see no reason that he couldn't other than past play.

Anybody have the comp. % for Adams this year compared to other recievers? Would love to see if it's backed up the eye test.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand Cobb. He could be just as good as Antonio Brown. After you get paid...it boils down to one thing...desire. Does he have it? Does he want it?
Antonio Brown has been the undisputed best WR in the league with Roethlisberger healthy the past two years. It's one thing to say that..of course. But could Cobb actually be that good? Brown is a typical #1 outside WR deep threat, whereas Cobb sees most of his time in the slot and backfield. Not sure if they are truly comparable?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest problem with Adams is he seems to have all the tools and physical attributes you'd want in a reciever, but he seems to be mentally blocked this year. It's not something I saw last year in his game (like vs. Patriots) but it might be something that takes an offseason mixture of time off & hard work to fully fix.

It's not just the drops, though no matter what the stats say he IS dropping too many passes, but just the lack of confidence I have that when Rodgers passes to him it will be a completion. These guys look like they're on different pages way too much of the time. Whether it's poor disciplined route running (my guess), lack of chemistry with Rodgers, or lack of a strong understanding of the playbook and his routes in the offense he isn't exactly inspiring confidence that he'll turn it around this year. But I also see no reason that he couldn't other than past play.

Anybody have the comp. % for Adams this year compared to other recievers? Would love to see if it's backed up the eye test.
It's probably not stellar for any receiver, but his completion percentage to him last year wasn't good, either. He had the lowest yards per attempt of all receivers/rbs.

Unless he becomes more physical and uses his length and leaping ability to make the plays he supposedly has potential for, he's going to be a tough target for Rodgers. He looks slow, unable to separate with no 2nd gear. Maybe it's his injury, but I don't see him ever being close to Nelson.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Antonio Brown has been the undisputed best WR in the league with Roethlisberger healthy the past two years. It's one thing to say that..of course. But could Cobb actually be that good? Brown is a typical #1 outside WR deep threat, whereas Cobb sees most of his time in the slot and backfield. Not sure if they are truly comparable?
I think he means their measurables are very similar. I haven't seen enough of either this year, since Cobb has been non-existent. But Pitt has a far superior offensive line, running game, and other receivers that can be deadly weapons downfield and keep the defense on their toes. It's tough to argue Brown isn't better, but those factors would help any receiver.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, it's like 52% I believe, the same as Allen Robinson and some others... Not all those are on him though, some are bad passes, some are bad separation, some are bad blocking leading to bad passes.

No doubt he needs to do better... What I don't think is that Janis is better.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it's like 52% I believe, the same as Allen Robinson and some others... Not all those are on him though, some are bad passes, some are bad separation, some are bad blocking leading to bad passes.

No doubt he needs to do better... What I don't think is that Janis is better.
Bortles is a gun slinger..He likes taking chances and going downfield often, even in double coverage, quite different than Rodgers' approach towards Adams. That is why Robinson has almost twice the YPC and why their catch percentage is close.

It's not all on Adams, but he doesn't make it easy for Rodgers. He has shown that he can high point the ball, which would open opportunities if he could actually pull the ball down. As it stands, Rodgers has a small window in which to place the ball to these receivers.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What I'm implying is the passion to be great. Both Cobb and Brown are similar in size and quickness. Both are not high draft picks. One (Brown) has refines and perfected his craft...performing with great and not-so good qbs. The other (Cobb) has a MVP at qb...yet doesn't work on his routes...no separation...doesn't talk to his qb like Brown has been seen doing. My opinion...GB receivers are in awe of Rodgers and seem to think he can just throw them open 100% every game. Impossible. A number 1 WR gets open, moves the chains, makes plays, and opens the field up for others. Cobb has regressed.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or put his hands together close enough to touch the ball
What I'm implying is the passion to be great. Both Cobb and Brown are similar in size and quickness. Both are not high draft picks. One (Brown) has refines and perfected his craft...performing with great and not-so good qbs. The other (Cobb) has a MVP at qb...yet doesn't work on his routes...no separation...doesn't talk to his qb like Brown has been seen doing. My opinion...GB receivers are in awe of Rodgers and seem to think he can just throw them open 100% every game. Impossible. A number 1 WR gets open, moves the chains, makes plays, and opens the field up for others. Cobb has regressed.
Just looking at the highlights, Brown is lightning quick with rare start/stop ability, and his motor is always high. I don't think Cobb possesses those traits to that degree, but I do think he could be more productive.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My oh my, this is interesting to read through this entire thread. Very revealing too.
Thus guy seemed to know what he was talking about. :whistling:
Adams reaction to his performance:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp.../davante-adams-angry-drops-vs-bears/76485210/

By no means am I trying to exonerate Adams from his poor play this year, but keep in mind it is only his second year in a rather complicated offense and having to deal with a nagging sprained ankle. Jordy's career didn't really take off until his 4th season (2011). I think too much was expected out of Adams this year, especially after Jordy went down and so far Adams hasn't lived up to those expectations or the pressure put on him to take up the slack. I doubt the Packers are ready to declare Adams a bust, nor am I. If there was a ton of talent waiting behind him, I would say bench him for a few games, but without that luxury, I think think the Packers are stuck letting him try to play through it and play Janis a bit more until Montgomery or Abby are back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lol, cherry picker! I saw some of your other posts!
Some cherries are just worth picking over others. :whistling:

Also, one has to be careful of what they say around an angry torch carrying mob. ;)

I do remember quite a few unhappy Packer fans, but as you alluded to, that thread really captures the roller coaster of emotions well.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Steadfastly sticking with Adams has been an incredible show of blind faith on the part of the coaches and their QB. But this is also the same group of coaches that has been consistently rolling-out a whole team of underachievers this season, including the reigning MVP QB. Personally, I would have been reluctant to discredit this staff in the past because their regular season W-L record truly has been exceptional up until recently. Post season has been only so-so. But that SB victory is special despite the other numerous pratfalls in the playoffs since then. Unfortunately, that successful post-season has not been a precursor of things to come.

I'm mystified that coaches are being so pig-headed in their aversion to giving Janis a greater role in an offense that desperately needs an infusion of explosive play. It seems like every other touch that Janis makes something good happens. Good grief! How many game-day explosive plays does a player have to make before they finally acknowledge that this kid's development needs to be accelerated ASAP for the good of the team. Playing time is an essential part of that development and that will also include growing pains.

The guy they're sticking with is not getting it done. Adams performances have been nothing short of abysmal, not worthy of being rated even as mediocre. His play has DIRECTLY hurt this team. The blind-faith acceptance that he must be a better practice player than Janis is counter-intuitive to what is being delivered during actual games. It should show on the field of play and it does not. That's nearly impossible to argue against. Where are the routine catches let alone the explosive plays? Two decent games as a receiver in his career and Adams gets Mulligan after Mulligan from this staff. Meanwhile, the guy who actually produces disproportionately positive results (when compared to his limited opportunities) is under-utilized at a position of great need, even though his play has DIRECTLY helped this team.

Go figure.
But is it all on the GM? Consider what Janis has done the few times he's had a chance or been thrown at. Targeted what 4 times and he's resulted in big gainers in three of them. Yet Aaron doesn't trust him because the timing is off. Well then find ways to scheme him into the game and make it work because the guys Aaron trusts are flat out failing right now.

Would Aaron even throw the ball to a midseason acquisition?
Lol, this was 7 years ago. And people still to this day expect that Rodgers will throw to whoever lines up at WR.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
To be clear, I'm actually ok with people playing armchair gm's. What bothers me is the denigrating language used towards both prospects and management/scouts when the armchair's favored picks aren't chosen. Words have meaning, and they very much matter.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Some cherries are just worth picking over others. :whistling:

Also, one has to be careful of what they say around an angry torch carrying mob. ;)

I do remember quite a few unhappy Packer fans, but as you alluded to, that thread really captures the roller coaster of emotions well.
Yeah, some of the fans here were in complete meltdown mode during November and December of 2015. I even saw Aaron Rodgers, David Bakhtiari, Randall Cobb and Corey Linsely getting flamed in this thread. Of course, there were also the obligatory arrows launched in Ted Thompson's direction as well for not drafting Allen Robinson and others instead of Adams. This stuff absolutely cracks me up! :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah, some of the fans here were in complete meltdown mode during November and December of 2015. I even saw Aaron Rodgers, David Bakhtiari, Randall Cobb and Corey Linsely getting flamed in this thread. Of course, there were also the obligatory arrows launched in Ted Thompson's direction as well for not drafting Allen Robinson and others instead of Adams. This stuff absolutely cracks me up! :)
I've had my share of being wrong about things involving the Packers and other things in life, but that is how we learn. Nothing wrong....with being wrong, as long as you can admit it. Also, not sure why people would join a forum like this and not expect to be called out on wrongful predictions, over reactions and anything else involving opinion, even if it is years after the fact. Of course, there is an art to pointing out to someone that they were wrong and that is probably even more important than the art of accepting the fact that you were wrong. Although, who knows, I could be wrong about that. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Speaking of not aging well. Wow, the last time I saw Ditka, he looked and sounded pretty good. Wonder what happened.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Let us never forget those who wanted Adams cut and replaced by Jeff Janis.

If a GM listens to the fans, he'll end up sitting with them, etc.