Davante Adams/Danny Trevathan news

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Viking fan has a better take on it than you are right now.

Regardless, I'm not budging on my 24-game suspension as being the most appropriate punishment or on my take that Goodell is the worst player discipline manager in professional sports history.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The Viking fan has a better take on it than you are right now.
Really it's about being a fan of football. How do slow the list of injuries? Hit's like this go back to how they are taught. And that is something that needs to be addressed. We will always have some unfortunate timing hits, but those numbers can be brought down. I also think the pads and the helmets have a lot to do with it. Since the guys feel like they are protected, they hit harder? Maybe, maybe not. But the best games of football I ever played was tackle with out pads or helmets. Everyone was aware of the possibilities of getting hurt so you tackles with finesse rather than brut strength. Matter of fact, our tackle games saw less injuries than the ones when we played with flags. Of course in the Air Force we could only play flag, so, we played tackle the flag. :)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, you can hit a guy really hard and keep your head up. Putting your head down is dangerous for everyone

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Replay says it all, everyone in Lambeau knows it was intentional.
You're over-simplifying, but allow me to clarify. It's obvious he meant to hit him. But what is not so obvious is if the outcome is actually what he had in mind. This was his first involvement in such an incident and he's not exactly a rookie.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100% premeditated what DT did too

Compare all you want but it's not a valid comparison. What DT did was despicable but it happened in an instant. What CM did was equally despicable but the difference is that he had several seconds after McMahon threw the ball to think about what he was about to do and then made a conscious decision to do it. If you can't see the difference, you've never played football.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really it's about being a fan of football. How do slow the list of injuries? Hit's like this go back to how they are taught. And that is something that needs to be addressed. We will always have some unfortunate timing hits, but those numbers can be brought down. I also think the pads and the helmets have a lot to do with it. Since the guys feel like they are protected, they hit harder? Maybe, maybe not. But the best games of football I ever played was tackle with out pads or helmets. Everyone was aware of the possibilities of getting hurt so you tackles with finesse rather than brut strength. Matter of fact, our tackle games saw less injuries than the ones when we played with flags. Of course in the Air Force we could only play flag, so, we played tackle the flag. :)

Case in point: Rugby is just as rough as football but they have far fewer injuries than football, not because they are slower or weaker but because they know the limits.

D

Deleted member 6794

Now, was he suspended with or without pay? Because if he still gets paid, it's just a vacation.

AIUI no play no pay when suspended. Haven't heard of a fine yet either. Don't know if the Bears get cap relief or an extra roster spot either.

NFL players lose the prorated portion of their base salary as well as the roster bonus during a suspension. The league normally doesn't release information about fines until the end of the following week. Just like the Packers with Allison in week 1 Trevathan won't count against the Bears roster limit during his two game absence.

D

Deleted member 6794

As bad as the hit was. I don't think it was intentional. From what I see, he lowers his head going into the tackle and the timing off Adams going down with his movement towards Adams is the reason for the hit. NOW, THIS DOES NOT EXONERATE HIM! I want to make that crystal clear. I do think that had he had his head up rather than down he could have avoided the hit to Adams head.

Keep one thing in mind. If a 24 game suspension is in play, it will come into play for one of your players if it ever happens. And, never say it will never happen, because you just don't know.

FWIW here's what Jahri Evans, who was pretty close to the play, had to say about it:

“It was a pretty bad hit,” he said. “I had a good view of it, and from what I saw it was definitely head down, crown of the helmet, targeting straight to his facemask, straight to his face, to a guy that’s going down with people wrapped around his legs. You just hate to see that, because we all work very hard to get to where we are in this league. The countless hours and time we put in on our bodies and our craft and our work, to have it all taken away because something like that is sad.

“I’m not saying that (Trevathan) is a dirty player or anything like that. He doesn’t have a history like that, but you want to take care of guys. In that respect, he could’ve went in without his head, without his helmet. But he saw a target, and I truly believe he hit what he wanted to hit.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
FWIW here's what Jahri Evans, who was pretty close to the play, had to say about it:

“It was a pretty bad hit,” he said. “I had a good view of it, and from what I saw it was definitely head down, crown of the helmet, targeting straight to his facemask, straight to his face, to a guy that’s going down with people wrapped around his legs. You just hate to see that, because we all work very hard to get to where we are in this league. The countless hours and time we put in on our bodies and our craft and our work, to have it all taken away because something like that is sad.

“I’m not saying that (Trevathan) is a dirty player or anything like that. He doesn’t have a history like that, but you want to take care of guys. In that respect, he could’ve went in without his head, without his helmet. But he saw a target, and I truly believe he hit what he wanted to hit.
There is no way he could be aiming for his facemask if he couldn't see. Unless he can see through the the top of his helmet. Like I said, the hit was bad, but the only way you could have timed it to hit his facemask is if he was looking. Watch the hit, if it's still on the internet. His head is down for some time before the hit. He wanted to hit him, but I don't believe he thought he would hit him in the facemask.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
24 games.... ok.... either this is Candid Camera or it's the stupidest thread ever

TosaFan76

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing that bugs me is that Trevathan only has to sit 2 games, but how long will Adams be out? Here's my suggestion: First, the refs enforce the current guidance and eject any player who deliberately tries to harm another player (with video review as is done in college). The offender is then automatically suspended for the following game, with no appeals. This gives the NFL time to determine whether the hit truly was intentional, viscous, and unnecessary (note that unintentional but really stupid plays, as Trevathan argues his was, can still cause permanent injuries). If it was, then the suspended player should remain suspended until the injured player is cleared to play, plus 1 or 2 games as additional punishment.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's my suggestion: First, the refs enforce the current guidance and eject any player who deliberately tries to harm another player (with video review as is done in college). The offender is then automatically suspended for the following game, with no appeals.

There's no way the players association would agree to it.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing that bugs me is that Trevathan only has to sit 2 games, but how long will Adams be out? The offender is then automatically suspended for the following game, with no appeals.

Unions don't give up bargained rights for nothing.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's us telling D Adams we got his back.

Very simple too, it's do the crime, do the time which in this case 24 games minimum is a just punishment.

Seems to me if you really had Adams back you would just take Trevathan out back in the parking lot and put him down.....come on man....get a backbone and step up! :coffee:

Edit: The comments made in this post are strictly satirical and in no way is the author in any shape or form trying to encourage said poster to carry out the suggestion. :coffee:

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that this is a crackpot thread.