Cut a vet

H

HardRightEdge

I think that the "surprise" cut will be Adams. Not catching that TD pass from Callahan was atrocious.
Adams will not be cut, nor should he be.

It's disappointing he did not make that tough catch. On the other hand, he made that tough catch in the red zone and made that nifty move on the phantom Montgomery pass interference screen which was pretty impressive. He had 2 defenders running into each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am truly amazed at how quickly people are willing to give up on Adams. People are so adamant in believing Thompson to be one of the best drafting GMs out there and yet somehow forget that belief when saying that the guy Thompson thought was the 53rd best player in the 2014 draft doesn't belong on the roster. Adams had a decent rookie season and played last year hurt. Maybe he was a bad pick and the whole "Thompson picks great second round receivers" narrative needs to go away but I'm willing to bet on Thompson being a good GM and Adams succeeding.

H

HardRightEdge

If this thread were to be taken seriously, the bottom of the roster should be explored for guys on the bubble. These would be the players who have strictly ST value or are spot rotational guys:

Abbrederis, Backman, Banjo, Barclay, Bradford, Crockett, Elliott, Gunter, Janis, Masthay, McCray, Perillo, Ringo, Taylor, Walker.

While I have opinions on this group, this tread is so out of hand I'm not going to bother.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this thread were to be taken seriously, the bottom of the roster should be explored for guys on the bubble. These would be the players who have strictly ST value or are spot rotational guys:

Abbrederis, Backman, Banjo, Barclay, Bradford, Crockett, Elliott, Gunter, Janis, Masthay, McCray, Perillo, Ringo, Taylor, Walker.

While I have opinions on this group, this tread is so out of hand I'm not going to bother.

If this thread was to be taken seriously the name Janis would've been thrown out there once.

OP
OP
R

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd take the $8Mil cap savings by cutting Peppers and put it right into an extension for Bakhtiari. OLB is stacked with: CM3, Fackrell & McCray on the left and Perry & Jones on the right. GB can only keep 5, or 6 at the most and Peppers is situational only (obvious pass rush situations ~ certainly can't play the run at all from his Friday play against SF).

If Fackrell improves significantly or McCray keeps improving I can see this MAYBE happening second round of cuts much like Davant Adams being cut.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams will not be cut, nor should he be.

It's disappointing he did not make that tough catch. On the other hand, he made that tough catch in the red zone and made that nifty move on the phantom Montgomery pass interference screen was pretty impressive. He had 2 defenders running into each other.

Adams is the new whipping boy. How dare you defend him.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Adams is the new whipping boy. How dare you defend him.
Someone had to assume the mantle. Bush, Hawk, Bostick, B. Jones & Kuhn are gone. Someone has to take the blame for us this year, assuming we won't go 16-0.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Really Hyde peppers Adams Lang what the F are you guys smoking!?
Strawman alert!!!

No one advocated getting rid of all 4 of them. Read the original question at top of thread again. These are people weighing in on that 1 vet.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Curious, especially considering all the approval ratings, what is meant by "as is". Certainly can't be the current roster, as that would be illegal. Does it mean not getting rid of any players who were on the team last year (haven't run the numbers, but, if they keep the draft choices, Cook, and the good-looking additions, I doubt if that's possible, either)? Not sure how to respond without understanding the premise. Please elaborate.

The Set-up: I realize that the Packers are unable to keep 90 players. I wasn't suggesting that the Packers keep an illegal number of players on the roster. I also wasn't suggesting that the Packers release their entire 2016 draft class and any/all free agents and undrafted free agents.

The Premise: Before posting in this thread, I read a number of posts wanting to trade or release established veterans such as Julius Peppers, TJ Lang, and Micah Hyde for future draft picks or future cap room. It is my understanding that future draft picks will not help the Packers win the 2017 Super Bowl. It is also my understanding that releasing established veterans for future cap room (assuming there is no dead money involved) does not help the Packers win the 2017 Super Bowl.

The Suggestion: Keep the best roster for the 2016 season (2017 Super Bowl). Don't worry about trading contributors for future draft picks. Don't worry about releasing contributors for future cap room (assuming no dead money involved). Keep the best players that give the Packers the best chance to win the Super Bowl this year.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Understood. Thanks. I guess I assumed everyone is on board with The Suggestion, and didn't pay enough attention to the 'future' talk.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not at his current salary, however. League minimum for vet - maybe.

Kruger was released by the Browns. With him not having to clear waivers a team can sign him to a new contract immediately. He might offer some pass rush but with the Packers being deep at outside linebacker there's no reason to bring him in.

If Fackrell improves significantly or McCray keeps improving I can see this MAYBE happening second round of cuts much like Davant Adams being cut.

It's surprising you don't want to get rid of Peppers during the first round of cuts to get to 75. After all he lost contain on a run during a preseason game. :rolleyes:

No one advocated getting rid of all 4 of them. Read the original question at top of thread again. These are people weighing in on that 1 vet.

It's ridiculous to even think about releasing one of the four players mentioned.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Kruger was released by the Browns. With him not having to clear waivers a team can sign him to a new contract immediately. He might offer some pass rush but with the Packers being deep at outside linebacker there's no reason to bring him in.

It's surprising you don't want to get rid of Peppers during the first round of cuts to get to 75. After all he lost contain on a run during a preseason game. :rolleyes:

It's ridiculous to even think about releasing one of the four players mentioned.
Agree. I wouldn't release any of them either. If I was overstacked at a position I'd consider a trade though. Only if I had a replacement ready to become a starter.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agree. I wouldn't release any of them either. If I was overstacked at a position I'd consider a trade though. Only if I had a replacement ready to become a starter.

The Packers don't have an adequate replacement for the players named though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers don't have an adequate replacement for the players named though.
Perhaps not, at the moment. I rather like these speculative types of threads though. I guess I don't view all vet starters as sacrosant.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you'll ride Janis into the sunset because he just doesn't learn the nuances of his routes yet you'll give Peppers, after 14 seasons in the league, a pass on a basic element of playing on the outside? It's the 3rd preseason game, the final preseason game for most vets, and Peppers STILL isn't getting the basics!

I was all over Walden's *** after he lost contain numerous times and let Kaepernick run for 181 yds. AND cost the Packers a Super Bowl berth... and I'll ride Peppers until he shows he's more than JUST a pass rusher. Blowing contain is a freshman in high school mistake, NOT a 15 year vet in the NFL mistake. Either he's trying to compensate for diminishing skills or just plain dumb... neither one an asset to the team.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers blew containt, Woodson got burned, Neon Deion gave up TD on double moves, Aaron Rodgers has thrown interceptions. They aren't perfect. Peppers had a bad play in a preseason game. Peppers also has a career of being pretty great overall. I think i'll gut it out with him for another year.

OP
OP
R

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

WOW man way to take it over the top! I was looking at Peppers salary and maybe cutting him IF two rookies are better than him. A COUPLE things that he has nothing to do with have to happen before he gets cut. But don't worry I'll get you your conclusion mat for my next post so you can jump to it.

D

Deleted member 6794

So you'll ride Janis into the sunset because he just doesn't learn the nuances of his routes yet you'll give Peppers, after 14 seasons in the league, a pass on a basic element of playing on the outside?

Geez, are you seriously trying to make your point by comparing a future Hall of Famer to the most overhyped receiver in Packers history??? :rolleyes:

I was all over Walden'... and I'll ride Peppers until he shows he's more than JUST a pass rusher.

Sorry to disappoint you but at this point in Peppers' career the Packers will solely use him as a pass rusher.

WOW man way to take it over the top! I was looking at Peppers salary and maybe cutting him IF two rookies are better than him.

Let me know once you've identified the two rookie edge rushers currently on the Packers roster presenting an upgrade over a guy that has 136 career sacks and leads the team over the last two seasons with 17.5.

OP
OP
R

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I wrote this post, I was looking at Fackler, and McCray as a physical upgrade over a dude that's 35 years old.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts