Curing what ails NFC teams

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Click here for full list:

Green Bay

• Diagnosis: Running game has weak pulse

• Cure: Unless general manager Ted Thompson can pull off some kind of a running back trade, the Packers might have to go all season with a finesse passing offense. It has worked so far, but the weather has been good. Favre is completing 64 percent of his passes while throwing a lot of short, safe passes. Brandon Jackson, DeShawn Wynn and Ryan Grant have combined for only 171 yards in three games and a 2.9-yard average. A trade is the only option. The Packers can't survive in November and December without a running threat.
----------------------

I guess this guy never heard of Vernand Morency, who is coming back this week it looks like.

So much for knowledgable experts.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the article in that Morency & Jackson havent really proved much in their careers but im of the opinion that running backs are a dime a dozen anyway. The talent difference isnt all that great unless you have one of the 2 or 3 elite guys in the league. Speaking of that, what has Larry Johnson, Stephen Jackson & LT done this year. Not much even though they are "elite" and "high priced". The offensive line is where the running game is made. L.T. isnt getting 5 yards per carry on the Packers team and neither is LJ or Michael Turner. What hapened to Edgerin James when he went from the Colts to the Cardinals. All of a sudden he was "old" "past his prime" "should retire".

A running game depends on so many variables that the "running back" in most cases is irrelevant. You need blocking from 5 offensive lineman, a tight end, fullback, complementary passing threat, a good defense to keep you in games so that you can keep running the ball. So maybe we might need to make a trade, but its not for a running back.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seem to recall the Packers having plenty of success with the short passing game in cold weather over the years. I think the running game will come around by then anyway. This is getting blown way out of proportion.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Click here for full list:

Green Bay

• Diagnosis: Running game has weak pulse

• Cure: Unless general manager Ted Thompson can pull off some kind of a running back trade, the Packers might have to go all season with a finesse passing offense. It has worked so far, but the weather has been good. Favre is completing 64 percent of his passes while throwing a lot of short, safe passes. Brandon Jackson, DeShawn Wynn and Ryan Grant have combined for only 171 yards in three games and a 2.9-yard average. A trade is the only option. The Packers can't survive in November and December without a running threat.
----------------------

I guess this guy never heard of Vernand Morency, who is coming back this week it looks like.

So much for knowledgable experts.

Great analysis, once again, by guys who spend way too much time pulling on themselves whilst watching replays of the Cowboys, Bears, Colts, and Pats. Thanks Clayton, for skimming through the highlight package and glossing over box scores of football teams that you report on, rather than actually do some real research. Thanks so much.

The run game is fine. o-line will be dominant by year's end, the change to Juice last game seemed to work very very well. And if TT's sold on a guy (see: Ryan Grant, Vernand Morency, Brandon Jackson) I think by now we should all be willing to trust him.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Mike McCarthy is a very smart man.

It was apparant from the start that we were going to have to grow into a decent running team.

Then Morency and Heron, the only guys that we had that had ever carried the ball in this league, BOTH go down right at the beginning of the season.

Now he not only has rookies to fall back on, but rookies that had fewer reps than they needed because......Morency and Heron were getting them until they got hurt.

These guys have NEEDED this time to get reps, learn the system, and, get comfortable in there and all this is where MM was coming from when he said "there's been a few bumps in the road" and "I'm starting to get more comfortable with what they can do."

Bumps? For some this would be sharp-spiked, foot high, speed bumps like trying to steal a vehicle out of a rental car lot.

For MM it's a "bump in the road." AND HE"S GOT THEM WINNING.

I have a feeling he will get the running game where it needs to be don't you? He just needed a little time for the new guys out there to figure it out some. A little patience boys. A little patience.

CaptainItchy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think MM's playing the "I'm going to make all opponents prepare us as a passing team...and BAM...come out and run 60% of the time"!!!

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vernand Morrency is a beast. When hes back, our running game is back

Lol, lets not get ahead of ourselves, he only has 618 rush yards in 28 career games. That said, looking forward to seeing him back.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

Lol, lets not get ahead of ourselves, he only has 618 rush yards in 28 career games. That said, looking forward to seeing him back.

Uhuh!!

But with the Pack last year taking over for Green---91 carrys and 421 yards

and over those 28 games he has averaged 4.4 yards per carry too

So he played in 28 games but only got 142 carries...Which is only 5 carrys per game..

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
packerfan1245 said:

Uhuh!!

But with the Pack last year taking over for Green---91 carrys and 421 yards

and over those 28 games he has averaged 4.4 yards per carry too

So he played in 28 games but only got 142 carries...Which is only 5 carrys per game..

I think he will do well. ZBS is designed to make an average rb look like a pro bowler and a good rb look like a HOFer( See Terell Davis, and Clinton Portis and any Broncos back in the Shanahan years. If the running game fails it probably wont be Morency's fault. Once our lineman get more experience and if we can upgrade and get more depth on O-line in the offseason, we should be a good running team. Even when Favre retires, A-Rod or whoever will inherit a good team that can contend.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
I think he will do well. ZBS is designed to make an average rb look like a pro bowler and a good rb look like a HOFer( See Terell Davis, and Clinton Portis and any Broncos back in the Shanahan years. If the running game fails it probably wont be Morency's fault. Once our lineman get more experience and if we can upgrade and get more depth on O-line in the offseason, we should be a good running team. Even when Favre retires, A-Rod or whoever will inherit a good team that can contend.

and that I think is the "plan" Ted has/had for this team..