Crow Hunting

Reaction score
So I've been saying for weeks that I thought we would be sunk this year by a defense that under-performed its mediocre to decent (but far from good, let alone great) talent and development level. I'd said that I doubted the ability of Capers to modify his personnel into an effective package group at this late stage in his career, and I'd said that I didn't think we did enough to address weaknesses which had been weaknesses for a while.

Further, I doubted the actual effectiveness of our seemingly talented yet untested RB group, and I also expressed doubt in how much a new 30 year old ball catcher could effect our offense. I'd said these things in part due to the players and in part due to how our coaches would use them. Nitro packages on defense on paper seemed great, but would Capers actually follow through effectively? A new big TE on offense seemed like a great middle threat, but would MM actually follow through and call the plays that took advantage of the opposing defenses at the right time? Hoo boy, was I thrilled to see that they did.

Well, I've been busy all week, not afraid to come here and start hunting my crow to eat. It's been one game, and it is far too early to make any sort of wide sweeping declarations, but MAN did we look good. Is it time to list Daniels as actually elite? Have I forgotten that greatness comes not from mitigating weakness but from doubling down on strengths? Dear god, I'm hoping so.

This team is not yet who they will be come mid-season, let alone seasons end and - dare we say it - post season. Let us not forget that through three games last year our Run D was historically good (lol). Yet, if things develop even marginally well, this team could defy all predictions and odds and be one of the better ones of recent years.

I always wanted to be optimistic about this team, and for that reason I will continue to refuse to be so. I'm still thinking that 3-4 start is more realistic than a 6-1, but I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Just gotta wonder what's making the light.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I've been busy all week, not afraid to come here and start hunting my crow to eat. It's been one game, and it is far too early to make any sort of wide sweeping declarations, but MAN did we look good.

It is far too early to eat Crow.

You could at least wait till our Goose is cooked properly. :D

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It's nice that you've humbled yourself to the possibility of eating crow at some point. I do think that the crow eating at this juncture would be premature, given that the Packers, while impressive in Week 1, went up against a team whose offensive front put up little resistance, allowing the Packers pass rushers to run wild in the backfield wreaking havoc. How will the backend hold up if the pressure slows down? That's my biggest question as of the present.

But, while the offense didn't look its best in Week 1, they also showed some promising signs especially in the 2nd half. TD, TD, FG, kneel down to finish the game on the final 4 drives. Highly impressive against that defense. Credit to Mike Daniels for causing the fumble to ignite the offense on the 1 play drive from the 6. Also, the drive before those 4 drives was derailed by a holding call, and the fumbled snap by Linsley.

Even the drives in the 1st half left me optimistic. Total number of plays for each drive in the 1st half? 7, 11, 6, 3, 9. Only one 3 and out.

Some in the media say "Well the Seahawks just got tired in the 2nd half" Well yeah, that's part of what can happen, and that's part of what the Packers are trying to do. I like the prospect of controlling more game clock and wearing down opposing defenses the way that, at times, are defense was worn out last year due to being on the field too much.

The team has a long way to go to reach its ultimate potential, but there were some encouraging signs in Week 1. I still don't understand your thought that a 3-4 start is even somewhat likely, but I will say that 5-2 could be in the cards depending on how things shake out. Atlanta will be tough, no doubt. And now that it appears Zeke will be available in Week 5, that game could be in question, even though I expect Rodgers to tear that secondary to pieces.

Color me a very encouraged and optimistic Packers fan at the moment. I think there's a lot to be excited about and a lot to look forward to.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
Mike Daniels first pro-bowl selection for his performance in the 2017-18 season. I hope he serves you up some crow.

OP
OP
Candidate for Deletion
Reaction score
went up against a team whose offensive front put up little resistance, allowing the Packers pass rushers to run wild in the backfield wreaking havoc. How will the backend hold up if the pressure slows down? That's my biggest question as of the present.
I too question this, but even given that Seattle's line is legitimately one of the worst in the league, our guys got more pressure than I expected, and more importantly got home and made plays far more than I expected. It's a given that the pressure will slow down as the season goes on, but it started off at much more effective level than I had anticipated.

But, while the offense didn't look its best in Week 1, they also showed some promising signs especially in the 2nd half. TD, TD, FG, kneel down to finish the game on the final 4 drives. Highly impressive against that defense. Credit to Mike Daniels for causing the fumble to ignite the offense on the 1 play drive from the 6. Also, the drive before those 4 drives was derailed by a holding call, and the fumbled snap by Linsley.
Our offense has a habit starting off a bit rusty these last few years. Even when we have put up nice numbers, the actual eye-test has been less than satisfying. I'm okay with how they did in this game, partly because it was against a defense that has given us fits, and party because the play calling seemed to be much more effective than I'd usually expect to see from MM. Sure, the timeout fiasco was unpleasant, but the pass to Bennett was fantastic, and not being afraid to put the ball between the tackles inside the 10 after the fumble was great too.

I still don't understand your thought that a 3-4 start is even somewhat likely, but I will say that 5-2 could be in the cards depending on how things shake out. Atlanta will be tough, no doubt. And now that it appears Zeke will be available in Week 5, that game could be in question, even though I expect Rodgers to tear that secondary to pieces.
I should be clear, I no longer think the 3-4 start is especially likely in and of itself, I just think it is more likely than 6-1. I've always figured 4-3 was our most likely record going into the bye. 5-2 would be near best case scenario, if we are being honest with ourselves. The Falcons didn't look great against Chicago, but they are still a hyper powered offense. The Cowboys have near zero chance of being as good as they were last year, but they could still give us issues. The Vikings looked fantastic and will be a hard team to beat in Minny. Aside from those three, there are still a few trap games in our pre-bye schedule as well (Bears, Lions). I'm feeling good, but I still go into next weeks game expecting to lose and if we are above 500 at the bye I'm figuring things went well.

Color me a very encouraged and optimistic Packers fan at the moment. I think there's a lot to be excited about and a lot to look forward to.
I'm definitely going to be happier watching next weeks game than I was just before this last one started, that's for sure.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Well.....we did shoot down a SeaBird on Sunday, time to go after a real Dirty bird before we start thinking about serving up a plate of Crow. The Ravens come into Green Bay on 11/19, I think by then we will all have a much clearer picture of whether it is Crow or Steak we all will be feasting on this season!

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Our offense has a habit starting off a bit rusty these last few years. Even when we have put up nice numbers, the actual eye-test has been less than satisfying. I'm okay with how they did in this game, partly because it was against a defense that has given us fits, and party because the play calling seemed to be much more effective than I'd usually expect to see from MM. Sure, the timeout fiasco was unpleasant, but the pass to Bennett was fantastic, and not being afraid to put the ball between the tackles inside the 10 after the fumble was great too.
Agreed for the most part, but I felt as if McCarthy got away from what was working a little bit early on. Kind of gave up on the short passing game after the first couple of drives. For two or three drives there, it looked remarkably similar to what we saw to begin the season last year. Receivers not being able to gain separation down the field, and because of that Rodgers got to dancing around and moving outside the pocket and consequently took a few unnecessary licks. I feel like he did a good job though of adjusting his play calling in the 2nd half after realizing that it wasn't working so he does deserve credit for that.
I should be clear, I no longer think the 3-4 start is especially likely in and of itself, I just think it is more likely than 6-1. I've always figured 4-3 was our most likely record going into the bye. 5-2 would be near best case scenario, if we are being honest with ourselves. The Falcons didn't look great against Chicago, but they are still a hyper powered offense. The Cowboys have near zero chance of being as good as they were last year, but they could still give us issues. The Vikings looked fantastic and will be a hard team to beat in Minny. Aside from those three, there are still a few trap games in our pre-bye schedule as well (Bears, Lions). I'm feeling good, but I still go into next weeks game expecting to lose and if we are above 500 at the bye I'm figuring things went well.
Aaron Rodgers doesn't share that belief, though. He said the focus needs to be putting ourselves in position to host the NFC championship game. And after "r-e-l-a-x", and "run the table", I'm not going to question that man when he sets his mind to something. He intends to go out there and get it done.

I have no doubt in my mind that he's targeting at least a 12-4 record, So if we are 3-4 or 4-3 I would be highly disappointed.
Well.....we did shoot down a SeaBird on Sunday, time to go after a real Dirty bird before we start thinking about serving up a plate of Crow. The Ravens come into Green Bay on 11/19, I think by then we will all have a much clearer picture of whether it is Crow or Steak we all will be feasting on this season!
I said it before the season started and some scoffed. That Baltimore game scares me.

OP
OP
Candidate for Deletion
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers doesn't share that belief, though. He said the focus needs to be putting ourselves in position to host the NFC championship game. And after "r-e-l-a-x", and "run the table", I'm not going to question that man when he sets his mind to something. He intends to go out there and get it done.

I have no doubt in my mind that he's targeting at least a 12-4 record, So if we are 3-4 or 4-3 I would be highly disappointed.
It's his job to be optimistic and confident. It's my job to keep my expectations tempered so my wife doesn't make me sleep on the couch when I get too into close games.

3-4, I'm heavily disappointed but still watching. 4-3, I'm happy enough. 5-2, I'm trilled. 6-1/7-0, I'm looking over my shoulder for the 2011 boogieman.

D

Deleted member 6794

So I've been saying for weeks that I thought we would be sunk this year by a defense that under-performed its mediocre to decent (but far from good, let alone great) talent and development level. I'd said that I doubted the ability of Capers to modify his personnel into an effective package group at this late stage in his career, and I'd said that I didn't think we did enough to address weaknesses which had been weaknesses for a while.

Further, I doubted the actual effectiveness of our seemingly talented yet untested RB group, and I also expressed doubt in how much a new 30 year old ball catcher could effect our offense. I'd said these things in part due to the players and in part due to how our coaches would use them. Nitro packages on defense on paper seemed great, but would Capers actually follow through effectively? A new big TE on offense seemed like a great middle threat, but would MM actually follow through and call the plays that took advantage of the opposing defenses at the right time? Hoo boy, was I thrilled to see that they did.

Well, I've been busy all week, not afraid to come here and start hunting my crow to eat. It's been one game, and it is far too early to make any sort of wide sweeping declarations, but MAN did we look good. Is it time to list Daniels as actually elite? Have I forgotten that greatness comes not from mitigating weakness but from doubling down on strengths? Dear god, I'm hoping so.

This team is not yet who they will be come mid-season, let alone seasons end and - dare we say it - post season. Let us not forget that through three games last year our Run D was historically good (lol). Yet, if things develop even marginally well, this team could defy all predictions and odds and be one of the better ones of recent years.

I always wanted to be optimistic about this team, and for that reason I will continue to refuse to be so. I'm still thinking that 3-4 start is more realistic than a 6-1, but I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Just gotta wonder what's making the light.

You're putting way too much stock into the Packers' performance in week 1 after being pessimistic entering this season. There's no doubt the defense looked vastly improved over last year's squad but fans have to realize the unit won't face an opponent featuring an atrocious offensive line every single week. While it may take some time to get to full strength the offense will definitely perform at an elite level once again.

Members online

Latest posts