Crosby game winner

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anyone notice how somber Al.Michaels sounded as the kick passed through the goal posts? It was as if he was tired and glad the night ended. Or he wanted the 9ers to win. I know he is from California.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the NFL incessantly wanting us to goto California pretty much every year now, I almost feel like the game was rigged, especially with the officiating. I don't want to go too far down that rabbit hole because I know certain people won't appreciate it, but it just seems like TOO MANY things went against us last night. But I definitely noticed they were all too willing to narrate a story about how great Jimmy G was and how he toppled Rodgers....

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When SF called the time out I thought, "well that is just going to give him more time to settle down." Who knows but it sure did not ice him.

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When SF called the time out I thought, "well that is just going to give him more time to settle down." Who knows but it sure did not ice him.
I thought the same thing. Is the whole “icing the kicker” strategy really that effective? Like you said, sometimes it just gives veteran guys like Crosby more time.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

With the NFL incessantly wanting us to goto California pretty much every year now, I almost feel like the game was rigged, especially with the officiating. I don't want to go too far down that rabbit hole because I know certain people won't appreciate it, but it just seems like TOO MANY things went against us last night. But I definitely noticed they were all too willing to narrate a story about how great Jimmy G was and how he toppled Rodgers....

Seriously ?? smh

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like fans are only happy if penalties are evenly handed out to each team - "parity." Sometimes one team does actually commit more fouls that necessitate more penalties. I agree that we seemed to get more penalties that were iffy at best. However, I don't buy into at all that the league or officials are trying to influence games. Refs have bad games. Sometimes life just rolls a giant shitball your way. It doesn't mean that someone intentionally set that shitball in motion.

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you are deciding based on kicker and situation; then whether or not you have a time-out has nothing to do with it.
It does actually. If I have a timeout even if it’s against the best kicker in the league I’m gonna use it. What advantage do you gain by not using it? At that point you might as well use everything you got.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like fans are only happy if penalties are evenly handed out to each team - "parity." Sometimes one team does actually commit more fouls that necessitate more penalties. I agree that we seemed to get more penalties that were iffy at best. However, I don't buy into at all that the league or officials are trying to influence games. Refs have bad games. Sometimes life just rolls a giant shitball your way. It doesn't mean that someone intentionally set that shitball in motion.
Actually, many of them seem perfectly happy if the other team gets more as well. Its only when their team gets more does the complaining start.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually since the norm is to call the time out coaches should stand next to the ref telling him no matter what I say or do I do not want a time out, he could then pretend to be asking for a time out, yelling and making the t.o. sign with his hands. Now this is how you mess with a kicker in this day and age.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It does actually. If I have a timeout even if it’s against the best kicker in the league I’m gonna use it. What advantage do you gain by not using it? At that point you might as well use everything you got.
Then you are not deciding by kicker and situation. I think you are just assuming that more time will make it more difficult on the kicker. Or maybe you just don't like to see a time out left in your pocket. I don't know. But your not actually making a choice based on a situation.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually since the norm is to call the time out coaches should stand next to the ref telling him no matter what I say or do I do not want a time out, he could then pretend to be asking for a time out, yelling and making the t.o. sign with his hands. Now this is how you mess with a kicker in this day and age.
I've often thought that in the Super Bowl, line up for two and make the other team call a time out. Or just take the 5 yards. I say Super Bowl because it's a bigger game. No point using it during the regular season.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt the kicker is paying attention to what the opposing coach is doing on the sidelines. As far as signaling for a time out, IMO if it is called for or signaled for it should be called no matter what the coach tells the ref ahead of time. It would be akin to signalling for a fair catch then trying to return a punt.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Ill wine one last time about the Refs,players affect the games outcome with their actions on the field, a bad decision on the offense or defense can decide the outcome of a game and bad calls were told to basically just deal with it, the refs blew it, criticizing the Zebras is a hefty fine, ok! It is far time officials should be held to the same standards because There has been many a times, and their are too many examples to post, that the Refs(replacements Seattle) have cost teams critical games and were supposed to just grumble and except it, its high time the refs need to experience the same grief as a player would, too many times their mistakes have cost teams their seasons unjustly, they need to feel the sting of fines or suspensions for their mistakes also, it has been a matter of money and Titles at the hands of this protected class, either get another Ref or better yet have booth review refs, its 2021 and stakes are higher than years ago, whew! off my soapbox now!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Refs have bad games. Sometimes life just rolls a giant shitball your way. It doesn't mean that someone intentionally set that shitball in motion.
One thing to keep in mind though, most refs have certain tendencies and this occurs in all Sports. While there should be consistency from ref to ref, there isn't. I see it in basketball, behind the plate umpires, gymnastic judges, etc. The key is, know your refs and what you can and can't get away with based on that knowledge. I am pretty sure that there is a scouting report on each ref and its the job of the coaches to remind players each game as to what they should expect.

D

Deleted member 6794

If you are deciding based on kicker and situation; then whether or not you have a time-out has nothing to do with it.

Well, if you don't have a timeout you can't take one to ice the kicker :D

There have been several occasions I remember on which the kicker actually missed the field goal but the other team had called a timeout just before the snap to ice him just for him to make it on the second attempt.

Ill wine one last time about the Refs,players affect the games outcome with their actions on the field, a bad decision on the offense or defense can decide the outcome of a game and bad calls were told to basically just deal with it, the refs blew it, criticizing the Zebras is a hefty fine, ok! It is far time officials should be held to the same standards because There has been many a times, and their are too many examples to post, that the Refs(replacements Seattle) have cost teams critical games and were supposed to just grumble and except it, its high time the refs need to experience the same grief as a player would, too many times their mistakes have cost teams their seasons unjustly, they need to feel the sting of fines or suspensions for their mistakes also, it has been a matter of money and Titles at the hands of this protected class, either get another Ref or better yet have booth review refs, its 2021 and stakes are higher than years ago, whew! off my soapbox now!

The NFL has a total of 17 different officiating crews. I'm absolutely convinced their performance is thoroughly evaluated and assignments are made based on it.

With that being said one crew doesn't get to call a game each week, even more in weeks with teams on a bye.

Therefore not performing up to the league's standards will result in not receiving an assignment for a week resulting in a lost paycheck.

In addition those refs most likely won't be considered for the postseason either.

OP
OP
milani

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I watch those last couple minutes I am convinced they were cheering for Garapollo and the Niners. Even remarking that if the Pack only tackled Yush before he scored. And if the Niners ever needed a sack it was now. Like they expected Rodgers to drive down but were hoping some way that the gods were against him.