Could this affect Clay Matthews?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brian Cushing suspended four games | ProFootballTalk.com

I've been hearing reports about this for months about how the NFL would reopen the cases against players who might've used illegal substances during the combine. The list included players like Cushing, Mauluga, Harvin and Clay Matthews. I know that Matthews was proven clean but so was Cushing. After thorough analysis Cushing was found guilty of it and I'm afraid Matthews might fall into the same picture.

If Matthews gets suspended like Cushing then we are totally screwed.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand, did they do a retest? Why a season later is he getting busted?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why they say you can't have too many good pass rushers.
We have only Clay. Arizona and Minnesota doubled him, and there was nothing left.

Matthews bulked way the hell up while at USC but it took him almost 4 years. He probably used some crap that's borderline legal like everyone else does in the NFL.

But Cushing always has been on juice since high school. Everybody at USC suspected him of it. I remember on other forums seeing photos of that dude's neck and people joking about it.
I can't believe he beat the system this long.

Back to Cushing: they should strip is DROY award and give it to the next guy, which I think was Orakpo? Another guy who looks like he's on the heavy juice.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please lets not start rumors that Mathews is juicing. I would expect that from an opposing fan. It took him four years to get on the field at USC due to his size, among other things, he in my opinion is not juicing. He does not look to be juicing, and has never had any signs of juicing.

If anyone has anything to worry about its USC

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please lets not start rumors that Mathews is juicing. I would expect that from an opposing fan. It took him four years to get on the field at USC due to his size, among other things, he in my opinion is not juicing. He does not look to be juicing, and has never had any signs of juicing.

I dont think this thread was started as a negative thing just concern for the team.

When I heard Cushing got suspended Mathews was the first one I thought of as well. I would think that he would have been suspended at the same time as Cushing if it was from when they were preparing for the Combine though.(Can they even suspend them for that? They are not actually in the NFL yet?)

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Like KillrB said I meant no harm when I created this thread. I was just worried since Matthews was accused of the same thing as Cushing back at the combine. I agree, I personally don't think Matthews was taking any substances either. However Cushing was acquitted of the same charges but here we are 1 year away and the guy still got suspended. The NFL reopened those accusations against Cushing and found him guilty. I'm just worried if Matthews' case gets reopened as well and he's also found guilty. If Matthews is suspended for 4 games like Cushing, would anyone like the idea of Poppinga starting at ROLB?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think this thread was started as a negative thing just concern for the team.

When I heard Cushing got suspended Mathews was the first one I thought of as well. I would think that he would have been suspended at the same time as Cushing if it was from when they were preparing for the Combine though.(Can they even suspend them for that? They are not actually in the NFL yet?)

I just get defensive over some of the good guy packers, I didnt mean to jump on anyone.

I agree, I think we would know now if anyone else was going to be suspended.

3 of the last 8 DPOY have been suspended for performance enhancing drug tests.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like KillrB said I meant no harm when I created this thread. I was just worried since Matthews was accused of the same thing as Cushing back at the combine. I agree, I personally don't think Matthews was taking any substances either. However Cushing was acquitted of the same charges but here we are 1 year away and the guy still got suspended. The NFL reopened those accusations against Cushing and found him guilty. I'm just worried if Matthews' case gets reopened as well and he's also found guilty. If Matthews is suspended for 4 games like Cushing, would anyone like the idea of Poppinga starting at ROLB?

I didnt mean to jump on you, I just got defensive of one of my favorite players. I meant no harm.

Maybe we will get lucky and AJ will test positive.

I can not find much as far as details go on this case, was the case from the combine reopened or was this from this season?

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didnt mean to jump on you, I just got defensive of one of my favorite players. I meant no harm.

Maybe we will get lucky and AJ will test positive.

I can not find much as far as details go on this case, was the case from the combine reopened or was this from this season?

I don't know all the details but I heard that the NFL has been investigating this over the course of the season. The suspension was supposed to be given back in February but Cushing appealed it. That's why it took so long.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why they say you can't have too many good pass rushers.
We have only Clay. Arizona and Minnesota doubled him, and there was nothing left.

Matthews bulked way the hell up while at USC but it took him almost 4 years. He probably used some crap that's borderline legal like everyone else does in the NFL.

But Cushing always has been on juice since high school. Everybody at USC suspected him of it. I remember on other forums seeing photos of that dude's neck and people joking about it.
I can't believe he beat the system this long.

Back to Cushing: they should strip is DROY award and give it to the next guy, which I think was Orakpo? Another guy who looks like he's on the heavy juice.

According to what I have read Jaryius Byrd from the Buffalo Bills was the next in line for Defensive Rookie of the Year. This is why Donte Whitner was the first to suggest stripping Cushing of the award.

Honestly I don't believe Matthews was on any sort of PED's. I just don't think that kind of thing flies within the Packers organization. I can understand how the Houston Texans (a franchise with literally no history) would possibly look the other way, or not pay as much attention to PED's, especially with basically their new centerpiece of the franchise. I'm not saying the Texans knew, just that it would be more likely that they might let it fly within the organization.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they didnt strip Peppers or Merriman of the award I am not sure they would strip Cushing of the award.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm worried. Not only about CM3 possibly missing time, but moreso, that his production may be a result of using steroids, and that we may not have that great pass rusher that we all thought.

Of course, IF HE USED STEROIDS...

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Theres no telling what will happen. Hopefully CM3 built it the legal way. If not, then he deserves the same fate. Sorry, but this game is not meant for cheaters.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts