Contracts Up In 2020...

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are we paying Linsley? Patrick can play multiple positions on the line so he is the perfect backup.

Next year if he stays costs over 10 Million....if cut only like 2 million dead money

H

HardRightEdge

#1: I didn't mess with your posts. I usually try to get posters to clean up their own messes unless it is detrimental to the board and needs an immediate response.
#2: Squeaky wheel syndrome. I didn't even register your posts as a big issue -skirting the edge yes, a problem - flip a coin, until they were reported. Then others chimed in and then something was done.
If you didn't mess with my posts then who did? The "offending" comments disappeared from them. I guess I should not have deleted them so you could see what I mean.

Specifically, I advised the poster who started this stuff in post #14 and followed up in #15 that Trump's charitable trust was busted, broken up and fined because he used it as his personal slush fund. Those posts lauding Trump's charitable generosity (LOL) still sits there. Where is his warning?

I'm going to take a wild guess that the complaining party was a Trump supported who didn't like me calling a spade a spade.

Yeah, the whole exchange was outside the lines. I have no problem with objections or moderator action. What I do have a problem with is that it is not even handed. Again, see posts #14 and #15.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

If Martinez keeps playing like he has been for the past month now, he's someone to look at bringing back. I still don't think he's a 7+ million a year guy, but 6 weeks ago I was leaning towards not back at all. he's been playing noticeably better and maintaining it from week to week. That is good to see.
After saying nice things about Martinez the last couple of weeks he went right back to his same-old, same-old last night as Detroit RBs had a lot of success gouging the middle. It hurts my eyes when he just stands there and lets an O-Lineman take him out with little resistance. The problem was especially acute in sets with 2 down linemen. You expect an opponent to have more success on middle runs against 6 in the box, but how about a little better effort?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I like your chart,Tramon will be 38, time to go,Martinez could be good in 3rd down roles,Spriggs is iffy I agree unless its 1yr maybe some incentives if not bye...

Martinez will demand way too much money to have him only play on third down. The Packers tried to release Spriggs this season but because he was injured he reverted to their IR. He's as good as gone.

Allison drops way too many passes, Grant played no role, Tonyan never got much playtime and now that Sternberger is back, he wont be a Packer next year, Campbell/Kumerow,Goodson/Redmond are all solid depth players but all of them didnt have a big impact on the team so I dont expect them back.

Tonyan, Kumerow are exclusive rights free agents after this season. The Packers will definitely bring them back.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's funny how many wanted Bulaga cut before the season started and now most want to see him resigned. What a difference a pretty healthy season makes. I imagine the same can be said about peoples impressions of Kevin King.

Bulaga will be 31 in March, I hope he still has gas in his tank and that his age and injury history will prevent other teams from high balling him away from the Packers. I guess a lot of it will be up to him, if he wants to stay in GB, I think they resign him to a reasonable 2-3 year deal and he retires a Packer. If he wants to move on and cash in, he will find a more lucrative deal from a team that feels they are "one RT away from a Super Bowl."

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny how many wanted Bulaga cut before the season started and now most want to see him resigned. What a difference a pretty healthy season makes. I imagine the same can be said about peoples impressions of Kevin King.
Told people it was too soon to give up on him.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny how many wanted Bulaga cut before the season started and now most want to see him resigned. What a difference a pretty healthy season makes.

Don't remember most saying he wasn't a good player, just that a player who can't play isn't an asset.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Don't remember most saying he wasn't a good player, just that a player who can't play isn't an asset.

Yup and that is the risk you run with every player, especially as they age and have some injury history. Cobb was the same story. Yes, he ended by being overpaid on his second contract with the Packers and that magnified by his injuries, but he would have been a great guy to have this season at $5M....had he stayed healthy.

Graham is on the other end of the spectrum. He stayed pretty healthy, but didn't live up to the expectations of what he was paid.

Bulaga will be a signing that will probably be well worth the money paid, especially if you don't have his replacement waiting. To replace his talent, the Packers will have to spend more than what Bulaga will probably cost them.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's a gamble with Bulaga, but with the drop off in talent at the Tackle position throughout the entire league, someone is going to take that gamble. He's going to still going to command some good cash to have him play for you. I know I want him here, I just don't know if I want to pay him to be here and he's not staying without it. Really tough decision coming up. he stays healthy or mostly like this year, good investment. Doesn't? well it's not and it's going to hurt.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Personally, I think the more interesting conversation is what is going to happen at LT with Bakhtiari? His contract is up at the end of next season. Do you resign him before then and try to lock him down for years to come or do you look at this season and it gives you some pause? I am sure someone will quote PFF stats or some sort, but just from my viewpoint during each game, this wasn't Bahk's finest year. Not saying it wasn't solid, I just remember seeing him get beat more often than he has in the past.

Bahk is "only" going to make $12M next year, but that is a lot less than some of the top LT's are making these days.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I think the more interesting conversation is what is going to happen at LT with Bakhtiari? His contract is up at the end of next season. Do you resign him before then and try to lock him down for years to come or do you look at this season and it gives you some pause? I am sure someone will quote PFF stats or some sort, but just from my viewpoint during each game, this wasn't Bahk's finest year. Not saying it wasn't solid, I just remember seeing him get beat more often than he has in the past.

Bahk is "only" going to make $12M next year, but that is a lot less than some of the top LT's are making these days.

I agree. This offseason it seems like the biggest issue is Bulaga and maybe Crosby. Williams and Lewis are nice to haves if they choose to return to football. Unless I am looking over someone.

But NEXT year is an interesting one. Bahk, Jamaal, AJ, Clark, King.

Bahk and the two RBs. Hopefully they can work something out with them. I have such a hard time wanting to give RBs lot of money.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
RBs. Hopefully they can work something out with them. I have such a hard time wanting to give RBs lot of money.

I like Jamaal, but he is pretty easy to replace. Now AJ, not so much, but he will be very expensive to keep. That is a decision (and a position) that I think the Packers might have another year before they have to decide.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bulaga will be a signing that will probably be well worth the money paid, especially if you don't have his replacement waiting. To replace his talent, the Packers will have to spend more than what Bulaga will probably cost them.

The Packers could replace Bulaga with a draft pick as well.

PFF graded Bakhtiari at 78.6 while being hampered by a back injury for most of the season. I expect him to perform at an elite level in 2020 once again therefore it might be smart to extent his contract at some point before the end of next season.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bulaga will be 31 in March, I hope he still has gas in his tank and that his age and injury history will prevent other teams from high balling him away from the Packers. I guess a lot of it will be up to him, if he wants to stay in GB, I think they resign him to a reasonable 2-3 year deal and he retires a Packer. If he wants to move on and cash in, he will find a more lucrative deal from a team that feels they are "one RT away from a Super Bowl."

I will admit I was not in the cut him camp, but in the I acknowledge there was an argument to do it then rather than now. I strongly feel a cut or non-resign is coming along our OL heading into 2020 season. Linsley's bump up in salary makes the most logical cut, savings BUT most importantly it is much easier to replace him and keep running than replace our RT on the fly. Linsley will not be resigned if we don't cut as he is simply going to be FAR too expensive after 2020. Cutting Linsley saves a ton, sliding Patrick in there (already shown can easily do it), makes Bulaga affordable and a targeted effort to find his replacement asap starts. Veldheer resigning IMO could make one risk cutting Linsley and allowing Bulaga to walk BUT I worry more about Veldheer's body if asked to start than be a GREAT back up.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If I'm Gute and I see us re-signing Bahk, I'm doing it right now rather than allowing him to possibly return to a more attractive season.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll go on record as stating Gute and Co. should treat Lewis as a MUST RE-SIGN IMO. Rodgers time and time again has spoken his praises than arguably anyone not named Davante or Aaron on the offense. Lewis in his interview stated he loved this season, physically shocked himself at feeling the best he ever has. I 10000% support re-signing Mercedes, especially if our TE group is going to be even younger like we all expect with the departure/cut of Graham being arguably a no brainer.

Just for observations I personally feel cutting Linsley, Graham will one make re-signing Bulaga and Veldheer possible, but also very well could be the reason we can afford to play in the FA tier two options of WRs or TEs to grab that possible weapon in the passing game we all know we DESPERATELY need.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers could replace Bulaga with a draft pick as well.

Well you can "replace" anyone with a draft pick or 3 (Spriggs) :cool:, the question will be does that draft pick come close to playing as good as Bulaga and then what position have you not addressed through the draft?

As expensive as Bulaga will be, hard to question his talent and desire to play, even when injured. It will just have to be up to Gute to decide if the money is worth it or this is the year they let him loose.

Generally speaking, your replacements should already be on the roster in some form, which TT did a good job early on with the OL. However, TT's final years seemed to leave the OL without much depth.

Members online

Latest posts