Comparing 2008 Packers Roster vs 2023 Packers Roster

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
True. In looking back at Weapons, Rodgers got a little spoiled out of the gate. Then went completely opposite spectrum by 2015.(2nd lowest passer rating). Even then in 2015 Rodgers still had a 5th year WR (Cobb)coming off a 1,287 yards 14.1 per 12 TD performance. Rodgers also had a 9th year veteran WR in James Jones and an upcoming Sophomore in Davante Adams
I would say 2018 was the first season that Rodgers receiving room began its downward trend. At WR the Roster was Davante, a declining Cobb, 3 rookies (Moore, MVS and EQ). As well as a bunch of JAGS.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes. Much like now.. but also take away Davante :laugh:
Yup and Lazard ;)

We may or may not find out if Rodgers could turn water to wine. I would LOVE to see Jordan pop some corks and have at least 5-6 newly seasoned kegs flowing well.

Reaction score
It’s such an unusual season for a 1st year QB. No formal long-Tenured veteran at WR or TE. Solid RB group, but everything else is completely up for grabs. To the point we could have a Rookie at both WR or TE steal the show. That really a rarity.

We’re the 2020 Dolphins Offense but lose Gesicki

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yup and Lazard ;)

We may or may not find out if Rodgers could turn water to wine. I would LOVE to see Jordan pop some corks and have at least 5-6 newly seasoned kegs flowing well.
Most people Serve the best wine first and after the guests have been drinking, they slide the cheap Wine into the mix. Hopefully we’ll be serving the Best Wine last!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I don't consider losing Cobb, that big of a loss. Would much rather see the younger WR's get snaps with Love. Lazard would have been a decent enough WR to still have around, but not at the price the Jets paid.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It’s such an unusual season for a 1st year QB. No formal long-Tenured veteran at WR or TE. Solid RB group, but everything else is completely up for grabs. To the point we could have a Rookie at both WR or TE steal the show. That really a rarity.

We’re the 2020 Dolphins Offense but lose Gesicki
The good news is that Love has been around for 3 full years and 4 camps, thus he isn't a raw rookie. He also has probably worked enough with the RB's, Watson, Doubs, Deguara and the OL, to be pretty comfortable out there. Obviously, the lights are shining a lot brighter on him and with that comes more pressure to perform at a higher level. Will be interesting to see how he responds.

Reaction score
The good news is that Love has been around for 3 full years and 4 camps, thus he isn't a raw rookie. He also has probably worked enough with the RB's, Watson, Doubs, Deguara and the OL, to be pretty comfortable out there. Obviously, the lights are shining a lot brighter on him and with that comes more pressure to perform at a higher level. Will be interesting to see how he responds.
It will. I think Jordan will be fine. There will be a few hiccups sprinkled in (there were for Rodgers also) but for the most part he’ll be Clicking along just fine.

I love how Doubs (and Aaron Jones) backed up his new QB. Reporters act like everyone’s just going to crumble and fold up now. We have to remember Romeo knows Jordan about as good or better than he knows Aaron. He’s a good dude there’s something I like about Doubs. He’s a humble and loyal kid (really speaking to Jordan and Romeo) God rewards humble and loyal, just look at Aaron Jones, great character guys we need more of this.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buddy of mine asked if I felt the young Rodgers had a better roster or Love does going into their first year as "the man"....to be honest I didn't remember the 2008 roster for sure so had to pull it up...for point of sharing here pasted below are the two rosters compared by position groups, I've put the year I feel gets the nod as better each time so that is why you see the order of 2008 or 2023 change at times for each position group:

QB
2008 - Aaron Rodgers / Matt Flynn
2023 - Jordan Love / Sean Clifford
*I give 08' a nod here probably out of sheer hindsight creates biasness when dealing with one of the best EVER...but retrospectively it is quite a close thing 2008 Rodgers to 2023 Love from a known commodity.

RB
2023 - Aaron Jones / AJ Dillon and company
2008 - Ryan Grant / Brandon Jackson
*IMO 2023 by A LOT

TE
2008 - Donald Lee / Jermichael Finley / Tory Humphrey
2023 - Deguara / Musgrave / Kraft
*This is honestly a tie IMO...Finley was no more known than Musgrave or Kraft are and Deguara and Lee had similar experience, but Lee JUST SLIGHTLY due to that one year he had nearly 600 yards prior.

WR
2008 - Jordy Nelson / Greg Jennings / Donald Driver / James Jones / Ruvell Martin
2023 - Watson / Doubs / Reed / Wicks / Toure
*On the surface quickly would go 2008...but remember Nelson was a rookie in 2008, Jones was in 2007...Driver and Jennings however STILL provide a clear 2008 win by proven results with Jones promising rookie campaign a bonus.

OL
2023 - Bakh / Jenkins / Myers / Tom / Nijman / Runyan / Rhyan / Newman
2008 - Barbre / Colledge / Sitton / Giacomini / Wells / Spitz / Tauscher
*Top shelf guys Bakh and Jenkins get massive nod IMO, middle of the lists might lean 08' but we have vastly more experience and depth of "starts" in 2023 IMO which means 23' takes it.

Front Seven (tough to compare as we ran different style...so doing main front 7 types)
2023 - Clark / Wyatt / Wooden / Brooks / Slayton / Campbell / Q. Walker / Gary / P Smith / LVN / Enagbare
2008 - Harrell / Pickett / Jenkins / Pettway / Kampman / Montgomery / Barnett / Poppinga / Bishop / Chillar
*I feel very strongly that this may be the group that 2023 beats 2008 the most (more than RB IMO). Clark and Campbell and Gary are All Pro caliber recently guys, Wyatt and Walker showcased belonging...Slayton improvement for sure and we haven't touched on the rest....2008 had a few VERY SOLID guys but the presence across board just doesn't compare.

CB
2008 - *Woodson / Harris / Tramon / Bush / Blackmon / Peprah / P Lee
2023 - Jaire / Rasul / Stokes / Nixon / Ballentine / Valentine
*Initially when I see Woodson or Harris I quickly went 08'....but I think this is closer than I originally thought but 08' still for sure.

S
2008 - Collins (MY MAN) / Rouse / Bigby / *Woodson
2023 - Savage / Ford / Moore / Owens / Johnson / Gaines / Leavitt
*Collins alone makes 08' get nod...however I'll say we are much deeper with experience and potential in 23'

K/P/LS
2008 - Crosby / Kapinos / Goode
2023 - Carlson / O'Donnell / Orzech?
*Crosby for sure over...O'Donnell for sure over and LS Goode...08' gets nod, Crosby alone at this point in his career I say gets it alone.

In summary:

2008 - Clearly got WR / CB / S / K/P/LS
Close Calls - QB 2008 gets it
Ties - TE group
2023 - Clearly got IMO OL / Front 7 Defense / RB
Great analogy! Did you leave out Chad Clifton from the 2008 group? True that Finley was not regarded in 08 as the dangerous TE that he became the next season. But Ted Thompson believed he was. Donald Lee was highly regarded by Favre and he did not hesitate to go to him. And he also went to Jones in 2007 as well. That is one difference between Favre and Rodgers that I saw. Favre was more of an equal employment opportunist. Yes, we were a 4-3 in 2008. Kampman was our pass rusher. Pickett was the run stopper. Harrell was the bust. Was hurt all the time. Barnett went sideline to sideline and made tackles left and right. Bishop was the sleeper. Woodson's play was essential but his leadership role is what is missing today. And I do not think any safety in the last ten years on our roster was as strong as Collins. The other place to look is the HC. MM had Favre for 2 seasons. MLF had Rodgers for 4. In 2007 we were 14-4 counting playoffs and were not expected to even make the playoffs. But fell to 6-10 in 2008. In 2022 we were thought by many to be in the SB. We finished 8-9 which was very disappointing. Bear in mind that many on the Packer roster wanted Favre back in 2008 and so did he. Do many on today's roster want Rodgers back? We know he did not.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True. In looking back at Weapons, Rodgers got a little spoiled out of the gate. Then fizzled for his 2nd lowest passer rating by 2015. Even then though in 2015? Rodgers still had

*5th year WR (Cobb)coming off a 1,287 yards 14.1 per 12 TD

*9th year veteran WR in James Jones and

*an upcoming Sophomore in Davante Adams

Jordan Love has far less proven Wide receivers. I’d even adjust an earlier guess. If he’s anywhere in that vicinity of
3300-3,400 yards
24 TD
12 INT
Then he’s matched (or possibly exceeded) Rodgers first year due to working with far less experience
Yes, it was hard to go to Nelson enough when you had the other 5 on the roster. And Jordy was not utilized much initially.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The huge difference being that Jones and Nelson were the #3 and #4 wide receiver on the depth chart entering the 2008 season though.
This is true. Driver and Jennings were the bigger targets from the Favre days especially Donald. But Jones got his name in lights when Favre hit both him and Jennings with long bombs in 2007 on MNF in Denver. After that we knew he could stretch the field.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion our offense entering this season features less talent than the team had in 2008 but the defense should be able to perform at a significant better level than the one it had 15 years ago. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of faith in Barry being able to have them perform up to their potential.

With that being said I expect growing pains on the offensive side of the ball, resulting in the team not getting anywhere close to making the playoffs.
Yeah, I feel like we're going to see a lot of games where the defense gets worn down as the offense finds its footing. For that not to happen, the running game really needs to step up, and Love needs to be able to take advantage of that.

D

Deleted member 6794

True. In looking back at Weapons, Rodgers got a little spoiled out of the gate. Then fizzled for his 2nd lowest passer rating by 2015. Even then though in 2015? Rodgers still had

*5th year WR (Cobb)coming off a 1,287 yards 14.1 per 12 TD

*9th year veteran WR in James Jones and

*an upcoming Sophomore in Davante Adams

Losing Nelson during the preseason hurt the Packers' receiving corps a lot in 2015. It didn't help that Adams struggled mightily that year.

I love how Doubs (and Aaron Jones) backed up his new QB.

Doubs took his support of Love to far when he mentioned there's not much difference between Love and Rodgers. Nobody actually believed him there's any truth to it.

Yeah, I feel like we're going to see a lot of games where the defense gets worn down as the offense finds its footing. For that not to happen, the running game really needs to step up, and Love needs to be able to take advantage of that.

I'm concerned the running game will have overwhelmed if expected to carry the offense this year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Losing Nelson during the preseason hurt the Packers' receiving corps a lot in 2015. It didn't help that Adams struggled mightily that year.
Totally agree. Rodgers and McCarthy did a very poor job imo of adapting to that catastrophic injury. That was the time frame when many of the knee jerk fans on this forum were proclaiming Adams a bust and were calling for his release, Lol.
This also became the time where I started to believe that Rodgers was extremely slow in adapting his thought processes to changing circumstances.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This also became the time where I started to believe that Rodgers was extremely slow in adapting his thought processes to changing circumstances.
This aspect of Rodgers is going to be very interesting to watch this season. Sure he has Lazard, Cobb, Turner, Boyle and Nathaniel Hacket, but otherwise, a new team surrounding him. Will he have instant connection with the offense or is it going to take some time? The script on Rodgers, is that you have to earn his trust. That might get flipped and Rodgers is going to have to earn the trust of his teammates, especially on offense.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
This aspect of Rodgers is going to be very interesting to watch this season. Sure he has Lazard, Cobb, Turner, Boyle and Nathaniel Hacket, but otherwise, a new team surrounding him. Will he have instant connection with the offense or is it going to take some time? The script on Rodgers, is that you have to earn his trust. That might get flipped and Rodgers is going to have to earn the trust of his teammates, especially on offense.
I doubt that Rodgers sees it that way. I believe he's all in on his status as a future HOFer and one of the GOATS.

I very much agree that it is going to be very interesting to watch the team dynamics for the Jets early in the season.
Also to see how the New York media responds to it all. Great drama to uphold forthcoming no matter what happens.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree. I don't think the fans or the NY media will have much patience for Rodgers, if he starts to unpack the circus tents.
Yeah the Packers are going to be operating in national obscurity this season which is good for both LaFleur and Love imo.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt that Rodgers sees it that way. I believe he's all in on his status as a future HOFer and one of the GOATS.
well, he is :)

But I still don't get why everyone thinks this is such a negative? Seriously. I believe it to be supremely overblown by many. For pretty much his entire time here it's been, do your work, work hard and get looks. Don't do your work, don't work hard, do the wrong things, you don't get looks.

you run your offense your way I guess, I'll take the prior way. Drops have never mattered, in fact if you were one of those working hard and doing what you're supposed to, he has a long history of going right back to that person in a game.

The whole "trust" thing I think is seriously overblown. it all boils down to doing what you're supposed to do in the offense. Period. What's a QB, any QB supposed to do? Throw it to guys NOT doing their jobs? Jordy had a great example in a fairly recent sit down I saw with him where he missed a read and Rodgers tossed the ball out and went sailing over everyone's head in the regular season. He said he knew he'd never make that mistake again, oh BTW, they saw the same thing in the Super Bowl and he remembered the read and it went for a TD.

It's not like it's some secret society and you have to gut a goat on the alter or something to have this mystic trust meld with the QB. It's just do your job and work.

Rodgers' strength has always been his ability to recognize things instantly and adjust accordingly with the offense. If there aren't WR's that can be ready for that the QB isn't going to look at that good. It doesn't matter who you are. It doesn't even matter the position. More often than not, if those around you aren't doing their jobs within the offense or defense, you're going to look worse as well. When you're anticipating gap A or B to be open because of how the offensive line is supposed to be blocking as a RB, but they block it completely different, most times you're not going to win as a RB regardless of how talented.

ROdgers and his new WR's have work to do, no doubt about that and people expecting just seamless transition and 4600 yards and 50 TD's are likely to be very disappointed by years end.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm concerned the running game will have overwhelmed if expected to carry the offense this year.
Yeah, if we're a run first team, and opponents key on the run, and Love doesn't make them pay for it. Honestly, I was a little disappointed in Dillon last year. He's supposed to be our short yardage guy, but it seemed like Jones was just as good or better at it, although I'm not sure if the stats support that, it was just an impression. Plus Dillon was supposed to run over people, and I didn't think we saw enough of that.

Reaction score
Sure. Rodgers still had far more proven Receiving targets in 2015 than Jordan has in 2023. If anyone should be upset about not having proven weapons it should be Jordan

Doubs took his support of Love to far when he mentioned there's not much difference between Love and Rodgers. Nobody actually believed him there's any truth to it.
Not really. I think he was speaking to the potential of Jordan and considering we just saw a pretty mediocre 2023 performance by Rodgers. He said he didn’t see a big difference, maybe he sees first hand what you and I and others think is impossible.
He said he didn’t see a big difference if I recall? Rodgers ranked 14th last season. I’d laugh if Love is anywhere in the teens ranking because we’d all be wrong and Doubs will look brilliant.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, if we're a run first team, and opponents key on the run, and Love doesn't make them pay for it. Honestly, I was a little disappointed in Dillon last year. He's supposed to be our short yardage guy, but it seemed like Jones was just as good or better at it, although I'm not sure if the stats support that, it was just an impression. Plus Dillon was supposed to run over people, and I didn't think we saw enough of that.
I believe our guard and center play did not help. In 2019 we were better.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure. Rodgers still had far more proven Receiving targets in 2015 than Jordan has in 2023. If anyone should be upset about not having proven weapons it should be Jordan

Not really. I think he was speaking to the potential of Jordan and considering we just saw a pretty mediocre 2023 performance by Rodgers. He said he didn’t see a big difference, maybe he sees first hand what you and I and others think is impossible.
He said he didn’t see a big difference if I recall? Rodgers ranked 14th last season. I’d laugh if Love is anywhere in the teens ranking because we’d all be wrong and Doubs will look brilliant.
We picked up James Jones that season. He helped but he was a step slower than his early years. And we did not use Adams the way we did later.

MadScientist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
where do you think we stack up in 2023 regular season Ranking each unit? Or Where would your betting lines Run? Merely for fun I won’t regurgitate it later. Lol
In 2008 we finished:
O #5
D #22
ST #26 (#32 KR net, #32 Penalties)
I'll play.
O #12
D #8
ST #10

I have the offense as above average, because even though Love will make some mistakes due to lack of experience, the tape breakdown shows that he can accurately read his keys, go through the progression and deliver an accurate ball to the open target on time. That's enough to make this a solid offense, with no hero ball needed. Without all the obscure hand signals from Rodgers to remember, receivers can just focus on the play.

The defense has a ridiculous amount of draft capital spent on it. If it's not top 10, the DC must be sent packing.

Special teams are ascending (when's the last time we could say that), and just having Nixon returning kicks the whole season is worth a jump of several spots. If the new kicker is decent this will be a good unit.

Latest posts