Combine Thread

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Its gonna be a Sheno for me. Claypool peaked my interest. KJ Hill is slower than I thought :confused: still reliable hands.

I would not worry about Hill's forty. Long speed isn't his game anyways.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Prior to the combine this was my WR rankings and comparisons

Those are pretty good!

Fresno State Adams isn't actually a bad comp for Jefferson at all.

Now if Jefferson can add Adams' package of releases and his stellar route running, he'd be dangerous.

But he hasn't done that yet, so much like an undeveloped Adams I think he belongs somewhere in round 2.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is he going to throw the ball to himself??

Look, I know it's just customary regarding the draft to say that someone is a hater if they don't like someone's pet prospect. All I'm out to do is share what I think based off what I see and what I can learn from others. I have no agenda. I just don't really care for Jefferson and would genuinely love if some other prospect got pushed down because he went top 29. But the great thing is that no one has to care what I think.

I know one prospect he pushed down, Jalen Raegor who showed up FAT.

He ran slow, and dropped 2 balls in the gauntlet.

Bottom of Round Three for you junior.

(This is all in good fun.)

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Fat people don't jump like he did.

His explosion is more than fine.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
  • Denzel Mims shows some serious build up speed on tape, and his 4.38 today is consistent with that.
  • Antonio Gibson is very interesting. He was a play-maker for Memphis as a runner and receiver, came in at 6'0" 228 lbs, and ran a 4.39.
  • Chase Claypool is a freakshow. 4.42 and 40+" vertical at 238 lbs? That's some Vincent Jackson stuff.
  • Justin Jefferson's 4.43 was a lot faster than what he showed in games.
  • Jalen Reagor's 4.47 was a lot slower than what he showed in games. His jumps were 97th and 99th percentile results.
  • Quintez Cephus has had some positive reviews as a middle round prospect, but a 4.73 is really going to hurt.
  • PFF has been all over Jauan Jennings as a YAC playmaker, but he had a really tough day, including a 4.72 forty.
  • Adam Trautman's 6.78 three cone is a really good mark. I don't know what that means at TE, but it's a good number.
  • Kmet's 4.70, 37" vert, and 123" broad are pretty nice at 262 lbs.
  • Dalton Keene had a nice workout. He's been asked to do RB drills, so it would seem that teams view him as an H-Back or FB prospect. At 6'4" 253, he ran a 4.71 (68th), 34" vert (~60th), 125" broad (94th), 7.07 3C (72nd), 4.19 SS (85th).
  • Josiah Deguara of Cincinnati is very similar to Keene and had a similar workout. Both players could potentially be Danny Vitale replacements.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Fat man jumping 42" and 138" respectively. You think maybe they just bounced his chubby body off the ground to get him to launch up that high?

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I just want to point out that Jalen Reagor's 11'6" broad jump is the 5th best ever at the NFL combine.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fatty's got hops, I'll let you have it. But he didn't seem to move nearly as fast as people thought. The 40 would have possibly made me a believer that he could have 1st Round stock, but now he's permanently just a Top 100 player to me.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless he vastly improves his 40 at his Pro Day he won't be running away from as many people as some claimed in the NFL. I'm calling him slightly suspect.

I'll take what the tape says over what the combine says.

Take Albert O. He ran a 4.49. But on tape, you would never, ever, think that.

And btw, some argue that the jumps show explosion more than the 40 does.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately illnesses in the family have forced me to miss a lot of the combine but, I did get a chance to watch some of the large people run the 40. They are absolutely amazing. Forget the numbers, watching these 320 pound linemen run a 40 without ending up with their hands on their knees is remarkable. I've always believed linemen are to football what pitching is to baseball. You never get enough good ones.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Unfortunately illnesses in the family have forced me to miss a lot of the combine but, I did get a chance to watch some of the large people run the 40. They are absolutely amazing. Forget the numbers, watching these 320 pound linemen run a 40 without ending up with their hands on their knees is remarkable. I've always believed linemen are to football what pitching is to baseball. You never get enough good ones.

When you look around the league, it's hard to find bad teams that feature good OL's and it's hard to find good teams that feature bad OL's.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
With the possibility hanging out there that the Packers will need to replace their right tackle, I want to highlight some combine metrics that are important for OL in offenses that run primarily zone schemes: the short shuttle and the three cone.

You want to look for guys who are under 5 seconds in the SS, and ideally under 4.75. You want to find guys who are under 8 seconds in the 3C, and ideally under 7.75.

OT Prospects Under 8 seconds in the 3C:
  • E. Cleveland, Boise State, 7.26
  • J. Runyan, Michigan, 7.57
  • A. Thomas, Georgia, 7.58
  • T. Wirfs, Iowa, 7.65
  • A. Taylor, S. Carolina State, 7.77
  • C. McKivitz, West Virginia, 7.87
  • A. Jackson, USC, 7.95
OT Prospects under 5 seconds in the SS:
  • E. Cleveland, Boise State, 4.46
  • A. Thomas, Georgia, 4.66
  • T. Wirfs, Iowa, 4.68
  • A. Taylor, S. Carolina State, 4.79
  • J. Wills, Alabama, 4.84
  • C. Heck, North Carolina, 4.86
  • M. Peart, Connecticut, 4.92
OT Prospects Hitting Both Marks:
  • E. Cleveland, Boise State
  • A. Thomas, Georgia
  • T. Wirfs, Iowa
  • A. Taylor, OT, S. Carolina State
OT Prospects Just Missing:
  • M. Peart, Connecticut, 8.01 in the 3C
  • C. McKivitz, West Virginia, 5.00 in the SS
  • C. Heck, North Carolina, 8.02 in the 3C
Notables Missing One or Both Marks:

• M. Becton, Louisville (neither)
  • R. Hunt, La. Lafayette (neither)
  • J. Jones, Houston (neither)
  • L. Niang, TCU (neither)
  • P. Tega Wanogho, Auburn (neither)
  • J. Wills, Alabama (no 3C)
  • A. Jackson, USC (no SS)
  • B. Bartch, St. Johns (neither)
Of the current qualifiers, Wirfs is probably a pipe dream, Thomas is probably only realistic in a trade up, and Cleveland and Taylor are likely day 2 targets (Cleveland earlier than Taylor). However, I am not sure that Cleveland makes it to #62, making him more of a trade down target. He apparently suffered a turf toe injury in week 2 and had to play through it, so it's possible that he's better than his tape indicates.

Matt Peart of Connecticut is a good who just missed, but who really intrigues me. That guy has insane length. He's 6'7" and his arms are nearly 37" long. He's not a great candidate to start immediately, but if they want to develop someone, he's a great choice.

Of the guys who still lack data, Becton and Wills are not realistic options for the Packers. Austin Jackson and Josh Jones are guys on the 1st/2nd round bubble who will need to be watched closely. Hunt and Niang are probably day 2 guys to monitor.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those are pretty good!

Fresno State Adams isn't actually a bad comp for Jefferson at all.

Now if Jefferson can add Adams' package of releases and his stellar route running, he'd be dangerous.

But he hasn't done that yet, so much like an undeveloped Adams I think he belongs somewhere in round 2.

Are you talking about Justin Jeffereson? Because from everything I've heard he's the best route runner in the class

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Are you talking about Justin Jeffereson? Because from everything I've heard he's the best route runner in the class

That's not remotely close to be true.

Maybe he has the tools to become a great route runner, but he did not excel at creating separating at LSU.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Maybe he has the tools to become a great route runner, but he did not excel at creating separating at LSU.

Also hard to judge his releases bc he played in the slot and pretty much always got free releases. That ain't happening in the league.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  • Ben Bartch, OT, St. Johns lacks some length, with arms under 33".
  • We already knew this, but Mekhi Becton is a mammoth: 6'7", 364#, almost 11" hands, almost 36" arms, and an 83+" wing span.
  • Netane Muti, the high upside but oft injured guard prospect, has sub 32" arms.
  • Matt Peart, who is my favorite developmental OT prospect, has some serious length: nearly 37" arms and 86.5" wing span.
  • Andrew Thomas of Georgia also has arms over 36" long.
And didn’t Becton run a helluva forty?

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shenault is expected to go under the knife today for a core injury thats been nagging him during the season. Out 6-8 weeks...

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Are we talking about the same guy?

Crabbs

Route Tree - Love his variance working off the line of scrimmage. He'll slow play his routes to allow created space in the underneath areas but provides good burst to accelerate into separation once he puts the pedal down. Smooth at the top of route breaks. Was a killer on over routes and option routes from the slot

Solak

Route Running: Quality short/intermediate route runner. Ability to get feet outside of the frame and work shoulders/hips/head with his footwork is ideal for an intermediate separator. Uses euro-step like footwork at the top of his route to force corners into bad leverage/false steps that allow him to quickly separate into the middle of the field; good stem pacing to eat up vertical ground and surprise off-cover or flat-foot corners with vertical burst. Varies pace nicely. Far more effective in-breaking than out-breaking at this stage and must develop a better instinct for generating leverage against the sideline. Not an overly physical player as a route-runner and can get bodied in the contact window. High-quality scramble drill player who will become an ally for a play-extending QB

Marino

PROS: Smooth operator and a true route technician. Varies his route tempo to keep corners guessing and there is plenty of variance to how he releases into his stem.

Harris

He displays good instincts against zone and will adjust his route accordingly. He is a crafty route runner who knows how to set up defenders to win against man coverage.

Members online

Latest posts