Clinton-Dix at Cover Corner

D

Deleted member 6794

How do you know he isn't best suited to play "outside corner?'" He hasn't even been to rookie camp yet? The guy has not even lined up in a Packer uniform. Let's actually see what he can do then make that assessment.

Once again I think this plays to some people that don't see the type of guy they would prefer out there so now it's like he can't play outside and we simply don't know.

I really don't think TT used a first round pick for a "slot corner." Just for the record that I can't wait to bring up in the future I think he gonna be "just fine outside."

Randall hasn´t played the position since junior college. He lined up on the outside for a total of two snaps last season while getting way more playing time as a slot corner (26.5% of his snaps), on the other side Rollins mostly played on the outside (86%). While I get that you think Randall is a better option outside because of his faster 40 time I would prefer to have either Hayward or Rollins at cover corner with Randall battling with Hyde for playing time in the slot.

Mayock stated he was the best safety in coverage. Not sure if the person you are replying to implied he was better at coverage than all dbs in the draft.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...ck-results-eagles-damarious-randall-20-safety

I´m well aware of the fact that some experts had him as the best cover safety in the draft. Brandon mentioned though that many scouts had him as the best cover guy among all defensive backs.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

First of all, Nick Collins was the Pro Bowl safety who suffered a career ending injury in 2011. The name of the guy we drafted in the second round last week is Quinten Rollins.
I assumed he was thinking about Jalen Collins rather than guy actually picked. ;)

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I guess that´s a more realistic possibility than the one I suggested. ;)

This is actually gonna be such a special season I am going back to Green Bay to stay with my cousin to witness the whole thing "with my own eyes."

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that we have seen that Dix has great instincts...

At least as long as we're not talking about punt-passes for two-point conversions. He seems to have brief seizures when those are coming his way.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least as long as we're not talking about punt-passes for two-point conversions. He seems to have brief seizures when those are coming his way.

Yea no matter what HHCD does in his career that play will always be remembered. I've watched that replay in agony to many times and he was literally right there...how he didn't make a play on the ball is something I'll never understand. It's not like Wilson threw a rocket , you could of signaled for a fair catch.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yea no matter what HHCD does in his career that play will always be remembered. I've watched that replay in agony to many times and he was literally right there...how he didn't make a play on the ball is something I'll never understand. It's not like Wilson threw a rocket , you could of signaled for a fair catch.

It was like someone put lead in his shoes.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, but did he play basketball or centerfield? ;)
Actually, Nitschke played basketball on the Packers traveling basketball team after the season ended. He was probably the best player on the team. Crazy Ray was a deadeye long range bomber way before the 3 point shot went into effect. A terrific all around athlete, he could throw a football farther than Bart Starr.

Last edited:

The program 61

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there's a case for trying Dix on the perimeter in camp and/or preseason.

Let's start with Rollins, a guy with upside, but more a strong safety / nickel type who needs a fair amount of perimeter technique work to steal the perimeter job. His flip-run-track-the-ball skills are not ready for prime time.

Randall has free safety stamped all over him in terms of recognition, angles and ball tracking, while being a suspect tackler and inexperienced at the perimeter.

While Dix is also inexperienced at cover corner, he's a much more physical player than Randall and thereby a better complement to Shields. He played a fair amount of nickel corner at Alabama, and he's got a year of experience in the system. At the same time, he led the team in missed tackles which suggests he might not be optimal at the free safety position for tackling-in-space ability.

While Randall has been characterized as an "ankle biter", that's pretty much the technique you need getting at receivers or backs down field in space, and would be a center field complement to Burnett who came on last season exercising his natural strong safety instincts in not having to worry about what M.D. Jennings was doing (or not doing as the case would be).

Hayward presents several issues at cover corner. He'll be a free agent after 2015. His strength to date has been as a zone nickel ball hawk. When it came time to cover Gronkowski in man, Hyde got the job. I'd think there are teams that run a lot of two-high safety zone who will be in need of a nickel back who would prize Hayward. Since nickel backs are not as highly paid as cover corners, I'd not expect Hayward to snag a House-like contract to play that role, but he should command decent coin.

So, the issue with Hayward is how much do the Packers want to risk with him in terms of growing pains, if not failure in man coverage on the perimeter, when he may be gone next season.

If the Packers try this, it works, and the presumptively redundant free safety in Randall is then no longer redundant, I'd bump up my grade for the draft from C+ to something higher.

The program 61

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Were HA-HA really missed tackles or broken tackles and can you be ******* a guy where you never tackled anyone in your life. while running and some guy jumps while you tackle or you tackle to high and throws you off its tough HA HA did a great job except not trying to score on the INT in the seahawks game other then that he did a good job for rookie season and sure why not play dix at corner see how well he does maybe packers go down in histry for not having CB and S but just DB listed on depth chart.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Were HA-HA really missed tackles or broken tackles and can you be ******* a guy where you never tackled anyone in your life. while running and some guy jumps while you tackle or you tackle to high and throws you off its tough HA HA did a great job except not trying to score on the INT in the seahawks game other then that he did a good job for rookie season and sure why not play dix at corner see how well he does maybe packers go down in histry for not having CB and S but just DB listed on depth chart.

can someone translate this for me?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anyone ever actually ask Haha what happened on the 2 point conversion? I mean, give us something at least, whether it be 'Willson obscured my vision,' or 'I lost it in the lights,' or 'My grandmother had 50G on Seattle', where we can at least try to make sense of it.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anyone ever actually ask Haha what happened on the 2 point conversion? I mean, give us something at least, whether it be 'Willson obscured my vision,' or 'I lost it in the lights,' or 'My grandmother had 50G on Seattle', where we can at least try to make sense of it.

Or it could have been was off balance trying to track the ball and horribly miss timed an off balance jump. Bad plays happen guys. Gotta let this one go

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or it could have been was off balance trying to track the ball and horribly miss timed an off balance jump. Bad plays happen guys. Gotta let this one go

Oh, come on, I'll bet that those of you alive in a couple of decades will still be talking about it. :)

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think HaHa was watching the receiver and didn't know the ball was fluttering toward him until the receiver put his hands up. He was looking for a pass, not a punt. It has to be the worst last 5 minutes of a game in Green Bay Packers history.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think HaHa was watching the receiver and didn't know the ball was fluttering toward him until the receiver put his hands up. He was looking for a pass, not a punt. It has to be the worst last 5 minutes of a game in Green Bay Packers NFL sports history.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wilson's interception at end of Super Bowl could be the worst in football history, if only it had been anyone other than New England benefitting from it.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The worst/most heartbreaking individual plays would open up a long and interesting thread. However, I think I'm secure in picking the worst five minutes. :)

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Oh, come on, I'll bet that those of you alive in a couple of decades will still be talking about it. :)
That play will probably not be the first, second or third thing I'll remember about that game.

1. The generalized collapse of the defense, surrendering over 200 yards and 3 TDs in about 6 minutes.

2. Bostick's fumbled on-side kick.

3. Seattle's fake kick.

4. Then, the Dix play.

If fact, that's all remember about that game today. ;)

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, so true. Didn't mean that the Dix play would be the primary topic in 2035, just that it would still be one. Merely meant to pole a little fun at RRyder and others who want us to be adults and move on - we're sports fans, and it ain't gonna happen.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hated the Randall pick - don't think he can play outside at all, and he can't tackle - at all!!

I liked the Rollins pick, but he's going to take time to develop.

Which means we're stuck with Hayward starting outside. Don't think Clinton-Dix can be effective out there, and even if he is, that means we need a replacement for him at Safety.

I think TT and Capers have created some big problems for themselves in the secondary - Ted says, to paraphrase, "... we don't care where they lineup, we're just looking for good football players"... well, at some point you need "good football players" that have corner skills, and "good football players" that have safety skills.

Seems we have a bunch of, according to Ted, "good football players" who aren't really suited to playing either corner or safety.

Randall has to be a slot cover guy, Clinton-Dix has to be a Safety...

I have complete faith that Capers will make this a huge mess, and they'll look like the Keystone Cops back there - just like they have for the majority of time he has been in Green Bay.

There will be a day of celebration in Green Bay the day Capers is fired!!!

Members online

Latest posts