Clifton to visit Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Packers free-agent OT Chad Clifton is scheduled to visit Washington on Friday -- could be a tough day for Green Bay.

Just saw that tweet from Schefter. Reactions?

I wasn't aware there was any shot that Clifton wouldn't be a Packer in 2010.

GBFANATIC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive got mixed emotions about Clifton. He truly is an amazing left tackle but being prone to injury and with long recovery times, I do understand why we would opt to look elsewhere..... Ultimately though,we need our O-Line to be as great as possible next year and I feel that Chad Clifton is a huge part of that!

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah this is a a surprise to me. Unfortunately the Packers werent able to come to an agreement with Clifton before 12:00 this AM. I wish that GB would resign Clifton, the OLINE meshed and ended up working out very well last season (after a few hiccups). The starters were used to each other and worked well together.
Players like 2nd yr lineman Lang need to learn from these vets like Clifton and Tausch and it would be a shame to break them up right now.

A1MEANGREEN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
always liked clifton.but i am afraid that with the money the redskins like to throw around if they want him hes gone. he is getting up there in age but he does have heart and you do know what you got with him. just have to wait and see how this all plays out

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing Clifton would be really BAD for us. Bad bad bad. Please don't let this be true.
This is a good,good, good thing, Clifton if he could stay healthy would be the answer, but he can not. Remember had we won the playoff game Lang would have started the next game, Clifton would have been wearing street cloths due to an injury.

Washington is in a rebuilding year, they just want a good left tackle to protect an up and coming quarter back, if Clifton gives them 11 or 12 good games thats what they need, they are not in the playoff hunt. The Packers can not afford to give up 4 or 5 games at that position. Thats why Clifton IMO was not an option for next year.

The Packers need a good veteran free agent. Clifton is questionable if he can make it through a season (not to mention his declining skills) Colledge all of a sudden has an attitude problem and Spitz is no guarantee that his back is any better than Justin Harrell. Remember Harrell was supposed to have been a 100% healed and ready to go last year after surgery.

I think the Pack should look to a situation like Bushrod of the Saints (left tackle started in the super bowl), he was given a 2nd round tender. 4 million doubles his salary and I think we could get him for 5 to 6 million.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really bushrod? Is that who we should be looking at. He gave up like 7 sacks in 10 games and struggled against Jared Allen in the NFCCG. Bushrod took such a beating that he had to get help from Reggie Bush and Pierre Thomas to help him out. And speaking of good veteran free agents, Clifton is a good free agent.

A1MEANGREEN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really bushrod? Is that who we should be looking at. He gave up like 7 sacks in 10 games and struggled against Jared Allen in the NFCCG. Bushrod took such a beating that he had to get help from Reggie Bush and Pierre Thomas to help him out. And speaking of good veteran free agents, Clifton is a good free agent.

i couldnt agree more. we know what we got with clifton. not sold on bushrod.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also dont forget with Peppers meeting with the bears, this means the possibility of 2 great D rushers, Peppers and Allen (vikings), would be present in the division. We need Clifton, his experience and leadership more than ever now. Do you trust Lang against Allen and Peppers? 4 games against league leading defensive rushers? I wouldnt quite yet.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions just got Vanden Bosch so heres the DE lineup for 2010

Vikes- J Allen
Lions- Vanden Bosch
Bears- Peppers (most likely)

So I think we need Clifton, even if he splits time with Lang to keep is injuries down.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
could be bigger then you think
Are you saying Lang didn't play better than Clifton?

Clifton surrendered 13 sacks the last two seasons, despite not playing in a lot of games.

He's now 33.

Clifton is done, and an eventual rookie we'd get probably wouldn't start right away. So Lang would get the job anyway.

Tauscher, on the other hand, gave 2 sacks in 08, and another 2 last year. He's as good as ever...

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you saying Lang didn't play better than Clifton?

Clifton surrendered 13 sacks the last two seasons, despite not playing in a lot of games.

He's now 33.

Clifton is done, and an eventual rookie we'd get probably wouldn't start right away. So Lang would get the job anyway.

Tauscher, on the other hand, gave 2 sacks in 08, and another 2 last year. He's as good as ever...

I agree, I don't understand what the hold up is with Tauscher not signing. TT is not making sense.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think all teams unless you have an outstanding left tackle use other players to help when facing elite pass rushers. Bushrod is only 25 years old with a solid year of experience under his belt, going against some of the best.

A second round pick for a 5 to 6 million dollar contract is reasonable in our current situation.

What are our other options? I am not sure I am willing to give up a 1st and 3rd for somebody else, maybe if he is that elite left tackle for years to come.

For me the price is right with potential. Worst case he make a real good guard or right tackle and we get a veteran who can start next year with experience.

LT-Bushrod/Lang __LG-??(Iupatai our 1st pick)__ C-Wells__ RG-Sitton__ RT-Lang/Bushrod

We still have our 1st and 3rd picks to address other needs. In a perfect world somebody offers a contract for Colledge, TT DOES NOT MATCH IT, we get our second pick back and Iupatai drops to our 23 pick.

With what is currently going on in our own division, the O-line has become the biggest need for the Packers. Our rivals are targeting our weakness and if TT does not wake up, we are in for another down year.

So you think Bushrod did worse against Jerad Allen than what Clifton/Lang did against him? IMO Bushrod performed better than both, he is healthy and has potential. I do believe that we used our running backs and tight ends during those game yet Allen still got through. He earned and was given his probowl gift by the Packers in those 2 games. He had 4 sacks in one game, Bushrod zero.

I am not over looking your concern, but saying he was taking an *ss whopping is over the top. If that is an *ss whopping, Clifton/Lang have no *ss left.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Also dont forget with Peppers meeting with the bears, this means the possibility of 2 great D rushers, Peppers and Allen (vikings), would be present in the division. We need Clifton, his experience and leadership more than ever now. Do you trust Lang against Allen and Peppers? 4 games against league leading defensive rushers? I wouldnt quite yet.

Couldn't agree more. I was not impressed by Lang ONCE last season. We can't afford to lose Clifton or Tauscher.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agree very much !! we need some players on the line thats been in the trenches for awhile experience is a great thing and we need that
The experience thing is BS IMHO.

Clady had 0 experience and if I'm not mistaken is yet to surrender a single sack in his career...

Experience is only important with the Center. With and without Wells has a HUGE difference last year. He can tell where rushers are coming from, and can handle the big guys.

Before wells, there were allways guys coming free. The Bears S that got the safety and Peterson from the Lions are examples.

But after he came back to the line, none...

Tauscher plays with experience. He's still one of our best Olineman.

But Clifton... Clifton too many times last year was called for false start. Is it because he's inexperienced? NO. It's because he plain had to cheat to keep more athletic pass rushers from beating him. He tried to position himself a little farther from the LG, and in a two point stance. Sometimes was called, sometimes not.

Go back and watch the games. Watch the Vikings games, the AZ game, the Pittsburgh game. You'll see what I'm talking about, with Lang and Clifton.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score

Clady had 0 experience and if I'm not mistaken is yet to surrender a single sack in his career...

Experience is only important with the Center. With and without Wells has a HUGE difference last year. He can tell where rushers are coming from, and can handle the big guys.

Before wells, there were allways guys coming free. The Bears S that got the safety and Peterson from the Lions are examples.

But Clifton... Clifton too many times last year was called for false start. Is it because he's inexperienced? NO. It's because he plain had to cheat to keep more athletic pass rushers from beating him. He tried to position himself a little farther from the LG, and in a two point stance. Sometimes was called, sometimes not.

Go back and watch the games. Watch the Vikings games, the AZ game, the Pittsburgh game. You'll see what I'm talking about, with Lang and Clifton.

I didn't watch any of the games last year. Maybe I will go back and watch

A1MEANGREEN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

you know thats your opinion and i have mine but experience is the differance between a rookie and a vet . next time you go to the doctor see a intern instead of a doc with experience i think it meens someting in everything you do

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right on RS! I agree that talent overshadows experience any day. A lot of rookies come in every year and prove that they're better than half the players in their respective positions.

Now onto the Clifton situation. I would love to have Clifton back but not for the reasons that many presume. Clifton should come back as a mentor/leader to whichever lineman we draft. Even Mccarthy addressed at the combine that the packers may go the option of splitting some of clifton's duties in order to give other guys a chance to get into the mix. It's a very good strategy as guys like william beaty, phil loadholt, sebastian volmer and oher have transitioned into their own o-lines like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.