Clayton article on Favre

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a good article on Favre by Josh Clayton, although a lot of it is stuff you've heard before. One part that was new for me is where Favre says that his feet aren't what they used to be. Also, it's hard for me to believe that Favre weighed 238 to 240 when he went to those Super Bowls. He was always listed at 225, and that sounded about right.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingc ... 9705204233

badboy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre looks like hes in the 220 range for 2005.
Lets hope his legs hold out for a few more years.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets hope his legs hold out for a few more years.

I don't know how accurate these #s are since the source of this info hasn't been updated since last yr, but something to keep in mind when thinking about the longevity of Brett's career....

2002: $750k base + $234,000 LTBE ($3,766,000 applied towards 2001 cap adjustment for 2002)
2003: $4.3m base + $1.6 million roster bonus
2004: $5.5m base + $3 million roster bonus
2005: $6.5m base + $3 million roster bonus
2006: $7m base + $3 million roster bonus
2007: $11m base
2008: $12m base
2009: $13m base
2010: $14m base

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'm pretty confident if Brett was due an amount that hindered the team he would be willing to take a pay cut ..

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
I'm pretty confident if Brett was due an amount that hindered the team he would be willing to take a pay cut ..

I seriously doubt that GB would ask Brett to take a pay cut. Considering how much other QBs are getting paid and the rise in the salary cap, Favre is right in line.

Then there comes the question of whether or not Brett would be willing to take a pay cut. Everytime they've reworked his contract, it was just a matter of book-keeping. Favre always got paid just as much or more than he would have, but for cap reasons it was considered to be distributed over the life of the contract. So although he's helped the team, it never hurts Brett's pocket-book.

I'm doubtful that any player would be willing to take a pay cut unless they seriously underperformed. If that was the case with Brett, then he'd just leave the game.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
SlickVision said:

I seriously doubt that GB would ask Brett to take a pay cut. Considering how much other QBs are getting paid and the rise in the salary cap, Favre is right in line.

Then there comes the question of whether or not Brett would be willing to take a pay cut. Everytime they've reworked his contract, it was just a matter of book-keeping. Favre always got paid just as much or more than he would have, but for cap reasons it was considered to be distributed over the life of the contract. So although he's helped the team, it never hurts Brett's pocket-book.

I'm doubtful that any player would be willing to take a pay cut unless they seriously underperformed. If that was the case with Brett, then he'd just leave the game.

That's why Brett is so great, they dont have to ask him, he offers like he has in the past.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett adjusted his salary a few times to help his team. In 2002 Brandt said they have to start paying out some money or the Packers would be in a bad cap position if anything ever happened to Brett.

Brett has counted over 9 million against the cap in 03 and 04. It is over 10 million this year. The good thing is that the worst of it is over and Brett can leave when he wants to without adverse cap effects.

The Packers will have a lot of cap room next year.

Members online

Latest posts