1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Clayton article on Favre

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Greg C., Aug 8, 2005.

1. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a good article on Favre by Josh Clayton, although a lot of it is stuff you've heard before. One part that was new for me is where Favre says that his feet aren't what they used to be. Also, it's hard for me to believe that Favre weighed 238 to 240 when he went to those Super Bowls. He was always listed at 225, and that sounded about right.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingc ... 9705204233

2. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    I can't find his weight higher than 222 on any card I have.

3. badboy

badboy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Favre looks like hes in the 220 range for 2005.
    Lets hope his legs hold out for a few more years.

4. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know how accurate these #s are since the source of this info hasn't been updated since last yr, but something to keep in mind when thinking about the longevity of Brett's career....

2002: $750k base + $234,000 LTBE ($3,766,000 applied towards 2001 cap adjustment for 2002)
    2003: $4.3m base + $1.6 million roster bonus
    2004: $5.5m base + $3 million roster bonus
    2005: $6.5m base + $3 million roster bonus
    2006: $7m base + $3 million roster bonus
    2007: $11m base
    2008: $12m base
    2009: $13m base
    2010: $14m base

5. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    I'm pretty confident if Brett was due an amount that hindered the team he would be willing to take a pay cut ..

6. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I seriously doubt that GB would ask Brett to take a pay cut. Considering how much other QBs are getting paid and the rise in the salary cap, Favre is right in line.

Then there comes the question of whether or not Brett would be willing to take a pay cut. Everytime they've reworked his contract, it was just a matter of book-keeping. Favre always got paid just as much or more than he would have, but for cap reasons it was considered to be distributed over the life of the contract. So although he's helped the team, it never hurts Brett's pocket-book.

I'm doubtful that any player would be willing to take a pay cut unless they seriously underperformed. If that was the case with Brett, then he'd just leave the game.

7. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8

That's why Brett is so great, they dont have to ask him, he offers like he has in the past.

8. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Brett adjusted his salary a few times to help his team. In 2002 Brandt said they have to start paying out some money or the Packers would be in a bad cap position if anything ever happened to Brett.

Brett has counted over 9 million against the cap in 03 and 04. It is over 10 million this year. The good thing is that the worst of it is over and Brett can leave when he wants to without adverse cap effects.

The Packers will have a lot of cap room next year.