CBS Sportsline Ranks Draft Classes-Ranks us dead last

garyhogeboomsghost

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ackers-picks-raise-questions-ravens-crush-it/

^^full article above. Ranks the Ravens first, and Green Bay dead last. Here is what Pete Prisco, Gil Brandt and Bobby Beathard had to say about our draft.

32. Packers
We were happy to defend the Jordan Love pick on Thursday night. We liked the idea of Aaron Rodgers' contract structure pretty much requiring Love to sit on the bench for two seasons -- it's exactly what his game needs -- but things not only went off the rails but right over the cliff on Friday and Saturday. In the deepest wide receiver class in human civilization, the Packers selected exactly zero wide receivers, and they passed on an interior defensive lineman in each round even though there were obvious needs there too. It's hard to figure out what the plan is in Green Bay beyond angering Rodgers. Grade: D

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Perhaps the Packers should just consider not signing their rookies to contracts this year. It seems that they've already busted. Might as well save the cap space for roll over.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Folks are illustrating their ignorance through and through.

I say again unless Gute and Co. liked Bryan Edwards...there was arguably not a single walk in and be your WR2 guy left at 62. There were only a couple arguably walk in and be for sure your WR3 left at 94.

He tried sliding up in the second for two specific guys and no suitors...I think the second he didn't have one of his top flight guys there, they didn't desire to grab more WR3s and WR4s mid rounds or late rounds as our roster is STACKED with that level.

Grading drafts within their first couple years is merely grabbing clicks and views anyways.

OP
OP
garyhogeboomsghost

garyhogeboomsghost

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the scary thing is that CBS's experts actually were some of the few draftniks who DEFENDED the drafting of Love in the first round, as they point out, so that draft pick is not why they are ranking us dead last. It was the REST Of the draft that, as they say, "went off of a cliff."

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's all not forget how autrocious some folks thought our 05' draft was. Not only did we waste our first pick on a QB we had no plans of starting over Favre, we follow it up with a podunk college prospect safety probably only 5% of fans knew of and even fewer the institute he came from.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the scary thing is that CBS's experts actually were some of the few draftniks who DEFENDED the drafting of Love in the first round, as they point out, so that draft pick is not why they are ranking us dead last. It was the REST Of the draft that, as they say, "went off of a cliff."

Our Day 3 was solid IMO, our Day 2 some will argue timing of each, but both those players graded just as much that high as they did lower and was a solid Day 2 (albeit not as I'd have done it)

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mel Kiper gave us an F, the lowest grade of any team. I found some of the picks to be questionable, but to be fair, the whole process is almost a crapshoot. We won't know how good or bad this draft was for at least three years. I'd be curious to see how grades immediately after the draft compare to those done three years later, to see how often these experts are right.

OP
OP
garyhogeboomsghost

garyhogeboomsghost

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good point, red4tribe. ouch though, I didn't know Kiper gave the Pack an "F." it is rare that Mel gives out straight up F's.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

The main CBS "expert" on the draft, Chris Trapaso, was writing amateur free-lance articles for Bleacher Report when CBS called him up because Dane Brugler went to The Athletic. I mean this literally-- there is absolutely no difference in level of expertise or training between that guy and you or me. None. Zero.

Just keep that in perspective.

Reaction score
CBS also had a segment on how Rodgers is upset with the Packers for drafting
Jordan Love and feeling his days are short playing for the Packers.
Has anyone read any comments coming from Rodgers about this??

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Virtually everybody from football people, to media, to ex-players, to ex-coaches and team executives, to "Joe Schmow" on the street rate the Packers draft a poor one and perplexing given the situation on multiple fronts. If you want to internalize and comment otherwise thats fine. Any pick or trade comes with risk / reward. All analysis has randomness to it since there are so many variables that come into play regarding success and failure. Getting a RB and quasi TE at 2 & 3 can't hurt if they turn out. Drafting a slew of OL at the end cant hurt if one or more turns out. I think (as its been said over and over) it's more about timing and not addressing glaring needs when options were seemly out there. The Love selection is the most perplexing for three reasons:
  1. AR's contract virtually locking him to the team for three years
  2. Is Love even that good given his performance and the competition he faced in college
  3. The timing of selecting a potential replacement at a current position of strength vs immediate need.
Whatever the case it's done, most people think is was a bad strategy, and we'll see how it pans out...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know anyone who thinks its a great draft. I'm about the most positive poster here, and I'm hoping it is good.

I give Love a 50-50 shot at hitting. And if he clicks, we have a very special player. Someone who can do a lot of things which really opens up the playback.

I think the Dillon and the TE will both stick and be good role players.

One of the 3 OL should make the team and contribute. After that, if we have 1 player make the team and contribute, I will be happy.

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we have to suck for the next three years to figure out if they are any good?
Folks are illustrating their ignorance through and through.

I say again unless Gute and Co. liked Bryan Edwards...there was arguably not a single walk in and be your WR2 guy left at 62. There were only a couple arguably walk in and be for sure your WR3 left at 94.

He tried sliding up in the second for two specific guys and no suitors...I think the second he didn't have one of his top flight guys there, they didn't desire to grab more WR3s and WR4s mid rounds or late rounds as our roster is STACKED with that level.

Grading drafts within their first couple years is merely grabbing clicks and views anyways.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out which of the 7 2nd round receivers were guaranteed impact players year one, and by that, which ones would be Moss type and not 40 catches, 600 yards and 4 tds. Because most will need several years to blossom, some will bust, maybe one is a hidden stud. But which one?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers simply didnt like the wr draft as much as everyone else. Time will tell if they were right or wrong. Gute said the team had some guys rated really highly but those guys were no longer options. After the top they didnt feel like guys were better than what they have. Their top seems to only be the top 3 or so guys because reports are they were trying to trade with the Vikings but not to pick Jefferson but to pick love. Time will tell whose scouts were correct.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CBS also had a segment on how Rodgers is upset with the Packers for drafting Jordan Love and feeling his days are short playing for the Packers.
Has anyone read any comments coming from Rodgers about this??
Rodgers hasn't commented as far as I know, but Favre said he talked to Rodgers, and he sort of said between the lines that Rodgers wasn't happy about it. I don't think it's so much that they drafted a quarterback, I think it's more that they weren't going all in on winning now while Rodgers is still there.

And he has every right to be angry about that, IMO. But at the end of the day, he'll be professional, do his job, and be friendly to Love. When we get to about three years from now is when things are going to get interesting.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers simply didnt like the wr draft as much as everyone else. Time will tell if they were right or wrong. Gute said the team had some guys rated really highly but those guys were no longer options. After the top they didnt feel like guys were better than what they have. Their top seems to only be the top 3 or so guys because reports are they were trying to trade with the Vikings but not to pick Jefferson but to pick love. Time will tell whose scouts were correct.

How would anyone know outside of 1265 that they didn't target Jefferson? Did one of our scouts spill the beans?

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Football Outsiders has compiled a ranking based on experts grades for this year's draft and according to that list the Packers 2020 class is the worst by a landslide.

I understand that it's impossible to fairly evaluate rookies for at least several years but that's the general take on Gutekunst's job last week.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2020/2020-nfl-draft-report-card-report

It is rather amusing that the "experts" are slamming GB for taking players they think aren't worth the spot they were taken. If a player you take in any round plays well for you nobody cares what round they were taken and are just glad the player is on the team. The draft is a crap shoot. For all we know Love might end up the best QB in this class or he could be another bust. Nobody knows for sure until they actually put on the pads.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
So we have to suck for the next three years to figure out if they are any good?

No..... some guys will contribute this year, others yr 2, etc. To get a more accurate draft grade on a draft class, it takes about 3 yrs. Giving a grade on players with no games played, just because of how we feel about a draft or what it looks like on paper, isn't remotely fair or accurate.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Mel Kiper gave us an F, the lowest grade of any team. I found some of the picks to be questionable, but to be fair, the whole process is almost a crapshoot. We won't know how good or bad this draft was for at least three years. I'd be curious to see how grades immediately after the draft compare to those done three years later, to see how often these experts are right.

WHO THE HELL IS MEL KIPER ANYWAY!!!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

The main CBS "expert" on the draft, Chris Trapaso, was writing amateur free-lance articles for Bleacher Report when CBS called him up because Dane Brugler went to The Athletic. I mean this literally-- there is absolutely no difference in level of expertise or training between that guy and you or me. None. Zero.

Just keep that in perspective.

Totally agree and to be honest why the hell should we even care what the so called experts say about us ?? Screw them all.