CBS Sportsline Ranks Draft Classes-Ranks us dead last

D

Deleted member 6794

It is rather amusing that the "experts" are slamming GB for taking players they think aren't worth the spot they were taken. If a player you take in any round plays well for you nobody cares what round they were taken and are just glad the player is on the team. The draft is a crap shoot. For all we know Love might end up the best QB in this class or he could be another bust. Nobody knows for sure until they actually put on the pads.

There's no way of fairly evaluating a draft class until three years have past in most cases.

There's college tape out there to make a guess though and this year's Packers draft class seems destined to be an utter failure.

No..... some guys will contribute this year, others yr 2, etc.

I highly doubt any of the draft picks will have a significant impact this season.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no way of fairly evaluating a draft class until three years have past in most cases.

There's college tape out there to make a guess though and this year's Packers draft class seems destined to be an utter failure.

I highly doubt any of the draft picks will have a significant impact this season.

Love won't play unless something happens to Rodgers but you don't think Dillon and/or Deguara will contribute this year? RBs usually play right away and Deguara is known for his blocking.

D

Deleted member 6794

Love won't play unless something happens to Rodgers but you don't think Dillon and/or Deguara will contribute this year? RBs usually play right away and Deguara is known for his blocking.

Aaron Jones will continue to start with Dillon competing with Jamaal Williams for the second spot on the depth chart. I expect his contribution to be minimal during his rookie season.

Deguara might have an impact as a blocker but I'm sorry that's not good enough if that's the best you can get out of your forst three picks during their first year with the team.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most draft experts have rated the Packets draft a failure because the playets chisen will likely have a minimal impact on the team over the next two seasons. Some of those people were actual scouts or GM's. While its their job to evaluate college talent, they don't know a thing and Gute's the genius. The concensus is nearly universal among draft evaluarors. While individuals often make wildly inaccurate predictions about a draft class, its the near uninimity that speaks volumes about Gute's mistakes in this draft.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most draft experts have rated the Packets draft a failure because they speculate that the playets chisen will likely have a minimal impact on the team over the next two seasons. Some of those people were actual scouts or GM's. While its their job to evaluate college talent, they don't know a thing and Gute's the genius. The concensus is nearly universal among draft evaluarors. While individuals often make wildly inaccurate predictions about a draft class, its the near uninimity that speaks volumes about Gute's mistakes in this draft.

Corrected your statement. I would say while many take issue with where and what position the Packers selected, when you really dig into draft evaluators grading of the player PRIOR to the draft vs now post draft some light on things.

Bottom line is in all reality I would have personally done our first four picks in this year's draft differently for sure. I'd also not have went up to get Jordan Love...if he was there and depending how my staff rated him I still may have taken him...but at best case that is a 50/50 speculative statement on my part.

If you gave me the same draft picks and places my personal first 4 draft picks would have looked something like this:

#26 Michael Pittman......maybe consider a CB between these three - Noah Igbinoghene/Jeff Gladney/Jaylon Johnson
#62 Lucas Niang...maybe a Josh Jones/Lloyd Cushenberry/Michael Ojemuda/Bryan Edwards
#94 Lucas Niang was still there!!! Malik Harrison/Troy Pride Jr./Reggie Robinson/Ben Bartch
#175 Justin Strnad...at this point even Donovan Peoples-Jones is of value...Proche/Runyan/Evan Weaver

So I get it entirely...but none of that changes the opinion I held prior to the draft on Love/Dillon/Deguara and Martin (although completely admit didn't research him much)....

Love I had rated as my QB2 maybe QB1...I just think he is going to be special.
Dillon I had circled as around the 3rd-5th best back, but his rep count and bruising style is one you must have a compliment back with or have him be that. I had him pegged as a guy if there in the 3rd is a STEAL!!!
Deguara I did a write up on going into the draft. I had him pegged as a special TE/FB H-back that will come in and contribute immediately where asked...I like Dillon had him penciled in a round later than we took them.

All three are excellent football players...2 will be given chances to compete for a pecking order spot and the one is someone this franchise may hitch its future to eventually.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would say while many take issue with where and what position the Packers selected, when you really dig into draft evaluators grading of the player PRIOR to the draft vs now post draft some light on things.

I didn't see any evaluator who considered either Dillon or Deguara to be worthy of being selected on day two prior to the draft either.

OP
OP
garyhogeboomsghost

garyhogeboomsghost

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Corrected your statement. I would say while many take issue with where and what position the Packers selected, when you really dig into draft evaluators grading of the player PRIOR to the draft vs now post draft some light on things.

Bottom line is in all reality I would have personally done our first four picks in this year's draft differently for sure. I'd also not have went up to get Jordan Love...if he was there and depending how my staff rated him I still may have taken him...but at best case that is a 50/50 speculative statement on my part.

If you gave me the same draft picks and places my personal first 4 draft picks would have looked something like this:

#26 Michael Pittman......maybe consider a CB between these three - Noah Igbinoghene/Jeff Gladney/Jaylon Johnson
#62 Lucas Niang...maybe a Josh Jones/Lloyd Cushenberry/Michael Ojemuda/Bryan Edwards
#94 Lucas Niang was still there!!! Malik Harrison/Troy Pride Jr./Reggie Robinson/Ben Bartch
#175 Justin Strnad...at this point even Donovan Peoples-Jones is of value...Proche/Runyan/Evan Weaver

So I get it entirely...but none of that changes the opinion I held prior to the draft on Love/Dillon/Deguara and Martin (although completely admit didn't research him much)....

Love I had rated as my QB2 maybe QB1...I just think he is going to be special.
Dillon I had circled as around the 3rd-5th best back, but his rep count and bruising style is one you must have a compliment back with or have him be that. I had him pegged as a guy if there in the 3rd is a STEAL!!!
Deguara I did a write up on going into the draft. I had him pegged as a special TE/FB H-back that will come in and contribute immediately where asked...I like Dillon had him penciled in a round later than we took them.

All three are excellent football players...2 will be given chances to compete for a pecking order spot and the one is someone this franchise may hitch its future to eventually.

I disagree with you yet again, TinyTinkins.....

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree with you yet again, TinyTinkins.....

Disagreement is a great thing, as it triggers discussion. Shoot even @Fredrik87 and I have had complete opposite thoughts, yet I would bet he agrees we've always presented reason and thought to why we at least hold them.

You, however have done nothing of the sort. Cute nickname, should get you far with folks in a discussion.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see any evaluator who considered either Dillon or Deguara to be worthy of being selected on day two prior to the draft either.

I didn't either personally as I predicted a 3rd round take on him.

While I don't personally put my stock on everyone elses thoughts, may be influenced by their write ups, but my reference to him being a 3rd round steal at our late 3rd round pick was mine and mine alone. However let's go through a quick few that reference him as high as 3rd or so:

Article discussing how he could be argued against the likes of Swift, Taylor and others to be first RB off the board https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-notebook-aj-dillon-storms-up-the-draft-board

NFL.com gave a rating matching some of their Day 2 guys but did put a 3-4 round grade on him, aligning similar to myself https://www.nfl.com/prospects/aj-dillon?id=32194449-4c23-7740-624c-afbd67329c54

Walter football....not a big fan said high end 3rd round, low end 5th...that huge of a spread is concerning IMO for trusting it but is what it is. They had CEH 2nd-3rd round as well..and really across the board they grade RB lower, somewhat similar to me (that's concerning to me...) LOL https://walterfootball.com/draft2020RB.php

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

While I don't personally put my stock on everyone elses thoughts, may be influenced by their write ups, but my reference to him being a 3rd round steal at our late 3rd round pick was mine and mine alone. However let's go through a quick few that reference him as high as 3rd or so:

Article discussing how he could be argued against the likes of Swift, Taylor and others to be first RB off the board https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-notebook-aj-dillon-storms-up-the-draft-board

NFL.com gave a rating matching some of their Day 2 guys but did put a 3-4 round grade on him, aligning similar to myself https://www.nfl.com/prospects/aj-dillon?id=32194449-4c23-7740-624c-afbd67329c54

Walter football....not a big fan said high end 3rd round, low end 5th...that huge of a spread is concerning IMO for trusting it but is what it is. They had CEH 2nd-3rd round as well..and really across the board they grade RB lower, somewhat similar to me (that's concerning to me...) LOL https://walterfootball.com/draft2020RB.php
It's really just a principal of the matter thing. RB was not a need, he was not necessarily viewed as a round 2 RB. Honestly, nobody is going to complain when he suits up and they see what he can do on the field, because I can confidently say that he'll be good and a lot of fun to watch

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To be fair, after three years the Packers' first round pick still won't have started for the Packers...going to take a bit longer to evaluate this class.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's really just a principal of the matter thing. RB was not a need, he was not necessarily viewed as a round 2 RB. Honestly, nobody is going to complain when he suits up and they see what he can do on the field, because I can confidently say that he'll be good and a lot of fun to watch

Or...it was insurance because if Jones prices himself out of our pay grade we are sitting with no one except resigning Jamaal for probably way more than he is worth as both are in contract years.

RB was more of a need than many think, but we are on the same page that we both would have looked elsewhere personally.

That said Dillon is a baaaaaad man and I sense good things will come from him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

While I don't personally put my stock on everyone elses thoughts, may be influenced by their write ups, but my reference to him being a 3rd round steal at our late 3rd round pick was mine and mine alone.

In my opinion none of the posters around here have enough knowledge or even access to tape to make an educated guess about most prospects, although some of you consider your evaluations for a fact.

I have no issue admitting that I don't have the ability nor the time to fairly analyze an entire draft class and therefore have to rely on information available to make a guess.

I'm confident in believing that Love, Dillon and Deguara will be backups next season though and therefore won't significantly improve the team's chances of making it to the Super Bowl.

That's why I don't like this year's draft class.

To be fair, after three years the Packers' first round pick still won't have started for the Packers...going to take a bit longer to evaluate this class.

Unfortunately that means the Packers won't be able to benefit from having a quarterback starting still on his rookie deal.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion none of the posters around here have enough knowledge or even access to tape to make an educated guess about most prospects, although some of you consider your evaluations for a fact.

I have no issue admitting that I don't have the ability nor the time to fairly analyze an entire draft class and therefore have to rely on information available to make a guess.

I'm confident in believing that Love, Dillon and Deguara will be backups next season though and therefore won't significantly improve the team's chances of making it to the Super Bowl.

That's why I don't like this year's draft class.

Unfortunately that means the Packers won't be able to benefit from having a quarterback starting still on his rookie deal.

I think your expectations for a college athlete transitioning to the NFL and just being a #1 at their position is a little too high. After our pick at #26 (which many of us are not a fan of) I'd argue there was not a single guy to be drafted that would be the #1 snap count leader at their position if we drafted them. Even if we'd went WR at 26 (something I was hoping for) that person wouldn't even for sure be our instant 2nd leading snap count WR. Honestly, outside of some OTs beating Wagner out - I don't think there were any non-backups for us to draft...some WR2s possibly.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think your expectations for a college athlete transitioning to the NFL and just being a #1 at their position is a little too high. After our pick at #26 (which many of us are not a fan of) I'd argue there was not a single guy to be drafted that would be the #1 snap count leader at their position if we drafted them. Even if we'd went WR at 26 (something I was hoping for) that person wouldn't even for sure be our instant 2nd leading snap count WR. Honestly, outside of some OTs beating Wagner out - I don't think there were any non-backups for us to draft...some WR2s possibly.

I didn't expect any of the Packers selections to step in and be the #1 on the depth chart at any position.

That's not necessary to receive a significant amount of playing time at wide receiver, cornerback, the defensive line or even inside linebacker though.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For all we know Love might end up the best QB in this class or he could be another bust.
Here's my question:
If the Packers had the #1 pick, would they have taken Love?
I'm guessing probably not, but I'm wondering just how high they were on this guy.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mel Kiper gave us an F, the lowest grade of any team. I found some of the picks to be questionable, but to be fair, the whole process is almost a crapshoot. We won't know how good or bad this draft was for at least three years. I'd be curious to see how grades immediately after the draft compare to those done three years later, to see how often these experts are right.

I've noticed that "experts" are almost always wrong. I'm usually wrong too, so I think that makes me an expert.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's my question:
If the Packers had the #1 pick, would they have taken Love?
I'm guessing probably not, but I'm wondering just how high they were on this guy.

I don't think the Packers would have taken Love at #1. That would have been an even worse mistake than trading up for him at #26.

Members online

Latest posts