Capers to the Vikings?? What if

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if the Vikings steal away Dom Capers this off-season, make him their head coach? :viksux:

They take all our players..... you don't think they'd try to steal away Capers from us?

The only issues I see against that is Jared Allen would be out of position like Kampman was when we went to a 3-4, but they could and would easily trade him. Pat Williams is on his last legs anyway, and I think Kevin Williams could play DE like Cullen Jenkins has.

If the Vikings do well with Frazier, I think they'll keep him. But if not, watch out.

The other team that might go after Dom is Houston. Their defense sucks *** and he was their first coach as an expansion team, and deserves another chance. He would have some talent to work with there now compared to before.

Hopefully people think he's too old to turn it over to at age 60.

If we do lose him, I say promote Kevin Greene to DC.

Big Dan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno... Dom's had 2 shots at head coaching jobs, and neither turned out real well other than taking Carolina to the NFC championship game one year. Granted, neither situation was ideal, but I think teams would still shy away from him as a head coach. I'm sure that just about any team in the league would love to have Dom as their defensive coordinator, but not necessarily as a head coach.

If the Vikings have a mind to go with a defensive minded head coach, they've already got Frazier, who has already been talked about for a lot of head coaching gigs over the past couple of years. As far as Houston goes, I just can't see it. That would be akin to the Pack bringing Mike Sherman back because he's had a lot of success as a college coach. Just not very likely at all IMO.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought Houston ran a 4-3 but I could be wrong..

Andy why would you bring this up now? Too many Vikings topics today...

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
nah, we'd have to cut him first. they only take players we cut

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a very good article on ESPN about the heirarchy in Minnesota. The coach shares decisions with the Vice President and GM. Very few coaches will want to share decisions with other people.

Getting to Capers specifically, the Vikings run a 4-3. Leslie Frazier is very highly regarded and sought after defensive coordinator. If any defensive coordinator coaches the Vikings next year, it will be Frazier.

Finally, the Vikings lack a viable quarterback. A team without a QB is a coach killer. I can't see Capers going to a team that doesn't run his defense or have a bona fide QB.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right. As did we before Capers got here.
Right. But they didn't have a franchise player, premier pass rusher, #1 draft pick 4-3 DE in there...

I agree that the queens might eventually trade Jarred Allen. But Mario Williams is a cornerstone of that franchise. He's not going anywhere, and he's a strict 4-3 DE.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
The Vikings have a highly touted DC in Leslie Frazier. Why in the hoo hah would they hire a defensive oriented HC?

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as Houston is concerned I cant believe that Capes would want to go back to a team that **** canned him as Head Coach once already.

With Fraiser by all accounts a decent DC I dont understand why they would opt for another DC for a head coach after him. Especially when they see the success that Mike Tomlin has had in Pittsburg......LOL

I am sure they are afraid to let another HC get away only to win a Super Bowl somewhere else.

Frasier gets the nod.

:viksux:

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Dom has found his niche with the Packers. It looks to me, and this is only an observation, that he has the support of some of the players. Not everyone is meant to wear the head coach's hat, but that does not mean you cannot be of equal value as say, a defensive coordinator. A team functions as a unit and Dom is a very important part of that unit.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit thinking of Capers as a Viking HC. I think Capers has more class than that.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Capers has only been here 2 years. I doubt he feels undying loyalty to Green Bay yet, so I could see him leaving.

But I don't see him going to Minnesota. They are in no way, shape, or form equipped to run a 3-4. Dallas, on the other hand, has DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No permission needed for a HC position. Anything else is up to your employer.

Yea, that's what I was thinking. I wasn't sure if it was just for HC, or any others. But I remember when we denied someone from interviewing for the Bears OC job and I looked it up, I just couldn't remember.

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry to much about that. I have a feeling that Minnesota could have a difficult time finding a quality coach that would want to go there and inherit the selfishness of the players and lack of stability in the franchise. Oh well.........I'm pretty sure the sun is shining in Green Bay today!
Trapped

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers has only been here 2 years. I doubt he feels undying loyalty to Green Bay yet, so I could see him leaving.

But I don't see him going to Minnesota. They are in no way, shape, or form equipped to run a 3-4. Dallas, on the other hand, has DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer.
S***. That's a good call.
Wade Phillips was the Dallas Defensive Coordinator, so they have an opening.

But Jerry Jones paid Jason Garrett a TON of money to keep on, and now he's got his chance at HC and so far has done great 2-0. I think Garrett stays.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
May I inquire as to why there is suddenly all this talk about Capers leaving us. Contract issues? Money? Simple wanderlust? I haven't heard him say anything that would indicate he was considering leaving his noble post. Or is is just a fear that we finally have something good and we are simply afraid of losing it? I'm just trying to figure out if there is more to this Capers talk than meets the eye for the sake of my own sanity.

Big Dan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kitten,
We may be a little leary because of what happened with Mike Holmgren. Imagine what could have been if Mike Holmgren hadn't gotten the big-head and wanted to be both HC & GM. His coaching and Ron Wolf's personnel management could have turned the Packers of the late 90's into a dynasty of sorts. I've often wondered if the distraction of Holmgren getting ready to leave, and the team knowing it, didn't possibly affect the outcome of the '97 Superbowl a bit. And then when Holmgren got his wish and had control of everything in Seattle, he didn't fare too well in the personnel aspect. He should have stayed here and kept a good thing going.

Favre was great under Holmgren, but started a slow downhill spiral when Holmgren left. Nobody could keep Favre and his ego in check after MH left, until MM got here. I don't think it's a coincidence that Favre's level of play improved greatly under MM as opposed to what it was under Mike Sherman. Then Favre started out okay with the Jets, but ended up bulldozing Mangini and it went downhill fast. His first year with the Vikings he was on his "good behavior" and stayed within Childress' system and had another great year. Once he figured out he could run all over Childress like he did Mike Sherman and Eric Mangini, the wheels fell off once again.

I hope Dom is wise enough to recognize the good thing he's got going here and will keep it going. Thanks to TT, he's got tons of talent to work with defensively, and will continue to have that kind of talent for years to come. This has got to be one of the more ideal situations for a DC in the entire league.

Latest posts