Can we discuss the CURRENT running backs?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is not another "Let's get another running back" thread.

Just wondering what ya all think of our current running backs and how they are doing.
And how they compare to Ryan Grant?

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I like Kuhn's power, and I love how the crowd yells his name when he runs. I think he makes a good back up back. As for Jackson, he is steadily improving, and i think he may turn out pretty good, just don't want to jump on the bandwagon yet.

And the greatest part is that the two of them are like Ryan Grant and don't fumble a lot.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Our RB's are actually fine. I think it's a problem with the O-line's run blocking. Whenever a defense knows we're gonna run the ball, the line just crumbles under the pressure. If a good hole opens, BJax has been hitting it well.

I don't really know what Nance has done. I've only seen him in for like 3 plays.

jakeslaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jackson has found some holes, but usually only when they are big enough to drive a truck through.. The zone blocking we have been seeing in the running game creates a lot of cut back lanes on the back side of the play unfortunately BJACK does not do a very good job of finding those. He and kuhn are both on the slow side. Love kuhns power but hes not a go to guy as far as short yardage goes either. Bottom line. OL needs to make some better holes and Brandon jackson could use a little patience in his running and find a little more burst when he finds the holes

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You would think we are last in the league in rushing the way the "fans" pound on Jackson (for some reason kuhn gets a pass). A poster yesterday called Jackson a "piece of ****". real classy.

Can we get a lynch tracker going for all the fans who thought he was going to be a savior?

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For me the Kuhn thing is wearing off. If anything give BJ more carries or give it to Nance and see, he can't do worse..

I really feel like people who say BJ is doing good are just being nice, but hey that's just me.

And there's no evidence that Lynch could have or could not have helped this team.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me the Kuhn thing is wearing off. If anything give BJ more carries or give it to Nance and see, he can't do worse..

I really feel like people who say BJ is doing good are just being nice, but hey that's just me.

And there's no evidence that Lynch could have or could not have helped this team.

Agree with all three sentences.

Very good posting Stylez!

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score

BJax hasn't been bad. He hasn't been great. He's no superstar, but he's doing what we need of him.

Rodgers hasn't been stellar, nor great really. Let's get a new QB.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't get how anyone can like Jackson....I don't like watching him run, and I expect nothing good to ever come of it. Kuhn is a force and rarely ever loses yards which is good, but Jackson is just straight up bad. Not a good RB, he's not about to scare any defenses.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
BJax hasn't been bad. He hasn't been great. He's no superstar, but he's doing what we need of him.

and what is that exactly? Consistently put us between 2nd/3rd and 8 and 2nd/3rd and 12? I think it's more of we don't have a choice we need to try to run, but when your in long situations all the time you can't continue it. I think we had 1 first down via rush last game. You don't need to be an analyst to see he's slow to a hole, and doesn't have any ability to break tackles. With his body type it should seem like he would be more difficult to bring down, but that's just not the case.

And don't exaggerate my opinions and compare Jackson to Rodgers. The OP asked what our opinions were on the RB's. Not everyone has to see things the same way.

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think Jackson is closer to horrible than useful. Kuhn isn't much better. You can't blame the Oline for our problems, they're not that bad. If Ryan Grant can get 1200 yards with it, BJ should get 800. If you look at a lot of teams in the NFL they have a solid "running back by committee" roster. Take Dallas for example, Barber, CHoice and JOnes. Any of those three would be a serious upgrade to what we have now. Take the Ravens, Rice, McGahee and McClain. Again, all an upgrade. We don't have that luxury.
Ever since Brandon Jackson was drafted, I didn't like the pick. He's a DECENT third down back. He is good at catching the ball out of the backfield, and when you can get him in the open field, he's pretty decent. He's horrible for an every down back. Too small and lacks vision.
Look at what happened to the Pack when Ahman Green went down. A nobody, Samkon Gado came off the practice squad and busted 580 yards and 6 td's in 8 games! Since then, he's done literally nothing. The Packers Oline made Gado good, but can't do that with Jackson.
Brandon Jackson will get some decent bursts now and then, but he's going to do nothing but hurt the team as long as he's the star back. Look at our redzone and third down numbers since he's taken over. HORRIBLE!!!! We get in the redzone, and especially within 5, and we may as well kick the field goal unless we can pass cause we're not running it in, and the defense knows that. Look at the Jets game. We got in the redzone or close to, and had to settle for 4 FG attempts. They simply and wisely played the pass because they knew we couldn't run, and we couldn't get in for six. That being said, you can't establish a running game only running the ball 20 times per game max. But I feel even McCarthy knows BJ can't get the job done and has little faith in him. Until we get BJ back to a third down back, we're going to struggle, plain and simple.

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score

wait, what? really? Rodgers has done very well considering the teams have been solely in pass defense. Until we get a running game, Rodgers isn't going to be as explosive as last season

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta send these guys some love. They have some very big shoes to fill trying to replace Grant. Certainly they are not currently the best but T.T. must see something there and I am learning to trust in his wisdom. Packers are a pass team, the run game doesn't get used that much anyway. I've noticed the running plays more since all this RB/running game stuff started up and I will say I think we may have something there, it just needs time to develop. Besides, who doesn't love to hear the Kuuuuuuuhn chants? Especially by Pack fans representing at away games?

Give these guys a chance, it looks like we are stuck with it anyway. And oh my how I miss Grant!!!

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nance was inactive last game, no idea why. Quinn Johnson was inactive too. . .

Still have no idea why Nance was signed. It was clear when we signed him that it was to give us more depth at RB because Grant just went down the previous week. . .but since then we've seen him on the field only for a small amount of time.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jackson

11.9 carries per game/52.2 yards per game- 4.4 yards per carry

Grant for ENTIRE year in 09 ...4.4 yards per carry DAMN

He needs more touches!!

Damn I say this every week

NFL - Statistics by Category - Yahoo! Sports

See how many carries he gets to others

Give him 20 vs Dallas

YES HE is not flashy, not GREAT but is very acceptable for what we need right now

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jackson

He needs more touches!!

Give him 20 vs Dallas

YES HE is not flashy, not GREAT but is very acceptable for what we need right now

First off the 4.4 is skewed cause he breaks a 8 or 10 yarder once or twice a game. Then 2-3 then LOSES 2 throughout the rest of the game. You're the 2nd person to say he's ok for what we need right now. I still don't understand what that means.. What we need is someone who gives consistently POSITIVE yards so we're not in the damn 2nd/3rd and 8+. Instead we can get in more 2nd and 3rd and 2's. Then play action works and boom.. passing game opens up.

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jackson

He needs more touches!!

Give him 20 vs Dallas

That's like saying my nephew should be a professional baseball player because he batted 1000 his senior year in baseball. He got three at bats all season. (he was a pitcher btw).... You can't base a players ability because he broke one 75 yard touchdown that raised his per carry average through the roof.... Take away that 75 yarder and recalculate THEN you'll see what we're dealing with!

406 yards on 93 carries is 4.4 yards per carry
subtract the 75 yard run

331 yards on 92 carries is 3.6 yards per carry... which.. .is John Kuhn and ranked #40 for yards per carry in the NFL.... do we REALLY want a #40 running back (much less two of them) starting on our offense??

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I will say this about Jackson though. I'm a little lost why we still continue NOT to run more screens and maybe draws and pass to him in the flat. We're still great at that when we did it against Minnesota then went back to not using it against the Jets.. I wish we could get an explanation.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's like saying my nephew should be a professional baseball player because he batted 1000 his senior year in baseball. He got three at bats all season. (he was a pitcher btw).... You can't base a players ability because he broke one 75 yard touchdown that raised his per carry average through the roof.... Take away that 75 yarder and recalculate THEN you'll see what we're dealing with!

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Members online

Latest posts