Can we discuss James Starks?

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starks was struck by a truck that failed to stop at an intersection and he was probably hit broadside. He's lucky to be alive. However, since he's still on the roster so there must be a chance that he could still make an appearance in the playoffs. He's far better picking-up blitzing players than either Montgomery or Michael, and those guys make me nervous in protection. It would be a fitting end to a career if his Packer swan song came after playing in the SB as a contributor, even if it was in a minor role. Who knows, maybe his block would allow Rodgers just enough time to throw the winning TD. The way this season has unfolded anything is possible.

I didn't realize that's how he was hurt, I see "concussion" everywhere and just figured he got it in a game.

D

Deleted member 6794

Starks was struck by a truck that failed to stop at an intersection and he was probably hit broadside. He's lucky to be alive. However, since he's still on the roster so there must be a chance that he could still make an appearance in the playoffs.

McCarthy said last week that Starks hasn't made any progress from the concussion he suffered in the crash. Therefore I don't believe he will play in another game this season.

Sky King

Reaction score
McCarthy said last week that Starks hasn't made any progress from the concussion he suffered in the crash. Therefore I don't believe he will play in another game this season.
Probably so. It's a shame, really. He deserves more than an ignominious ending for being a long-time contributing Packer on some pretty decent teams.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Starks looked like he did last year, when Lacy went down this year... He would most likely be staying. But he seems slower. He wasn't impressing many with his running... The car accident saved McCarthy from benching him for Monty IMO...

That said there would be 3/4mil dead cap, and 3mil saved if he was released... That 3 mil should go towards Retaining Lacy, and signing a new promising rookie rb. IMO

Sheilds is in the same boat. Less drop off in play, and more concussion. but same boat... He will clear 9million in free cap space, counting 3mil dead cap.....That 9 mil will be available above and beyond the free cap space we have now...

Between Starks, and Sheilds cuts and cap savings. We should be able to keep Lacy and Perry, without dipping into the 20some mil ted has to keep this team together... Now that 20some mil can be used to keep Hyde, Cook, Datone, Lang or Tretter. Big poppy, AKA Julius Peppers, who might want to play another year...................

I don't know what these guys are going to cost to resign? But it wont be cheap, and even if we do purge some high end talent to keep up and coming players on the roster. We will still have to let some good young guys walk...

And forget about free agency...

H

HardRightEdge

He's gone after this season.
That's likely with $3 mil in cap savings on the line. He just couldn't get healthy this season. What was it before the concussion? Another knee sprain? Very disappointing with him coming off his best, most healthy season since 2010.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Starks looked like he did last year, when Lacy went down this year... He would most likely be staying. But he seems slower. He wasn't impressing many with his running... The car accident saved McCarthy from benching him for Monty IMO...

That said there would be 3/4mil dead cap, and 3mil saved if he was released... That 3 mil should go towards Retaining Lacy, and signing a new promising rookie rb. IMO

Sheilds is in the same boat. Less drop off in play, and more concussion. but same boat... He will clear 9million in free cap space, counting 3mil dead cap.....That 9 mil will be available above and beyond the free cap space we have now...

Between Starks, and Sheilds cuts and cap savings. We should be able to keep Lacy and Perry, without dipping into the 20some mil ted has to keep this team together... Now that 20some mil can be used to keep Hyde, Cook, Datone, Lang or Tretter. Big poppy, AKA Julius Peppers, who might want to play another year...................

I don't know what these guys are going to cost to resign? But it wont be cheap, and even if we do purge some high end talent to keep up and coming players on the roster. We will still have to let some good young guys walk...

And forget about free agency...

The Packers shouldn't use the cap savings gained by releasing Starks to re-sign Lacy. It would be smarter to bring in a different running back to compete with Montgomery and Michael for the starting job.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers shouldn't use the cap savings gained by releasing Starks to re-sign Lacy. It would be smarter to bring in a different running back to compete with Montgomery and Michael for the starting job.

Is there a number you would re-sign Eddie at? Or just not interested at all? Just wondering.

D

Deleted member 6794

Is there a number you would re-sign Eddie at? Or just not interested at all? Just wondering.

After Lacy wasn't able to stay in shape for two consecutive season I'm not interested in re-signing him at all.

Members online

Latest posts