Can we discuss James Starks?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to see Starks 2nd year of this contract voided after the season. We've past the point of diminishing returns with him.
Uhhhhh....... We've only played 3 games. There are 3 months left in the season.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starks will fly under the radar for weeks and then all of the sudden blow up 1 game for a bunch of critical yds.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that PikeBadger is referring more to the notion of people questioning whether "he's done" or not based off of only three games. I agree with that. In general, of course all players can be discussed.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heck, people think players are done because of a few plays, much less a few games. The question still pretty much stands - if not three games, how long do people have to wait before thinking Starks is done?

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow its crazy seeing you guys turn on starks so fast because lacey has been doing good. Starks has barely have had any chance to play. He also needs enough touches to get in a grove. Starks is a solid back he is tough as nails. He barely gets injured hes always finishing his runs moving forward. He has not had many holes to choose from, hes always in on obvious run situations. Starks gives more punishment to defenders then he takes Ive seen him put linemen,linebackers and safties out the game. Im a starks supporter.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm not turning on Starks, I like him too, but I think Eddie is better. He needs to be the featured back.

Reaction score
IDK. I'm not anti-Starks or anything but He will be 31 in February. He's got maybe..maybe another 1-2 years if he can prove that this year. Then add that to us getting jumpy on our #3 guy and it spells a changing of the guard. This is where our loss of Jonathan Franklin is gonna sting.
I'd like to see a 2017-2018 1st or 2nd day draft pick or a trade for A known quantity with some youth

D

Deleted member 6794

Wow its crazy seeing you guys turn on starks so fast because lacey has been doing good. Starks has barely have had any chance to play. He also needs enough touches to get in a grove. Starks is a solid back he is tough as nails. He barely gets injured hes always finishing his runs moving forward. He has not had many holes to choose from, hes always in on obvious run situations. Starks gives more punishment to defenders then he takes Ive seen him put linemen,linebackers and safties out the game. Im a starks supporter.

I´m not turning on Starks by any means but there´s absolutely no doubt Lacy should be the featured running back and Starks will most likely only receive spot duty as long as #27 stays healthy. He has to perform on a higher level when given the chance to justify earning $3 million a year.

BTW Starks has been injured a couple times during his career.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Fair point, but how long do you need?
I think you wait to see how the entire season plays out before you make a statement that his second year should be cut short. He's a valuable backup/role player.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think you wait to see how the entire season plays out before you make a statement that his second year should be cut short. He's a valuable backup/role player.

True, especially with his base salary being already fully guaranteed for this season.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With so few plays it to tell much. The blocking could account the lack of production on when he been in.

Speedy14

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should be privileged to have two great backs this year, when one was eating get donuts. One injury away, and we wish we had more depth at RB. Rip was out, and we saw the fall off of not having a GBSAA to lead block.

D

Deleted member 6794

One injury away, and we wish we had more depth at RB.

There's no doubt the Packers would have to bring in another running back in case that either Lacy or Starks would miss time because of an injury.

H

HardRightEdge

I think he was retained to be the "new" Kuhn. Reliable, play-book savvy veteran backup. Ain't happening at the moment.
He was re-signed to do what he did last season: provide insurance against Lacy being out of shape or injured and to put up something like last season's 993 yards from scrimmage if necessity required another 191 touches.

Comparing him to Kuhn is odd given that Kuhn is a fullback with his snaps being taken by Ripkowski (who's looked pretty good by the way).

I'd say Starks has not had enough snaps to develop a rhythm. It's too early to write him off.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

At what point is it permissible to discuss a player on a sports forum?
After 2 games half this forum were writing off Rodgers. I would say there is no specific time frame, but some circumspection should be applied.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
My first thought was Green Bay Southwest Athletic Association and I was wondering what a local high school had to do with it.

Members online

Latest posts