Can Rodgers scramble?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I noticed that Rodgers seems to be scrambling for yards a lot less than he usually does thus far this year. Three games into the year he has less than 30 yards rushing. I'm not saying that he should be actively looking to run, but there have been numerous times this year when he's had space but instead decided to chuck the ball way down the field, usually for nothing. Is he just getting greedy? Has he lost a step? Is he afraid of getting hit? He has always picked up lots of key first downs through his running, so it's a big loss if he is really avoiding it.

Thoughts?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm wondering if he can throw on 1st and second downs instead.
Why not do the opposite?
Pass to open up the run.
Here they got the million dollar quarterback with the golden arm.
Use him, dammit, use him!

Cheddar2014

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense is definitely lacking...no slot motion, no receiver separation, no TE seam threat, no holes in the middle of the line and Lacy isn't fast enough to make the edge. Only one RB looked good and wasn't played as the hot hand. If our receivers can't beat a banged up Det secondary, perhaps we are overrated.

Props to the D for holding Meg and Company to 10 pts tho.

Cheddar2014

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, and no screen passes bubble or to RB to slow down the rush. Def a bland play calling staff we have.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know what AR's problem was today, but going forward, he has to get his head out of his ***.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
o-line is the prob, Arod cant scramble every play then he cuts half the field off. since there is no receiver separation aaron has to stay in the pocket longer. Its like the offense is predictable.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
that throw to jordy in the end zone of fourth down was just off. Don't get me wrong, a tough throw, but off. Say what you want about rodgers being under pressure all day, he's made great throws while being hit and sacked all day.

And to answer the question, I do think rodgers has been looking for throws down the field over running with the ball. Maybe it has to do with his injury last year. Rodgers is usually good about sliding so I'm not sure what his thinking is behind not running as much.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like what I'm seeing from his this year. I wasn't worried since he recovered to play well against the Jets in the second half last week, but other than that, Rodgers has looked pretty bad.

H

HardRightEdge

I noticed that Rodgers seems to be scrambling for yards a lot less than he usually does thus far this year. Three games into the year he has less than 30 yards rushing. I'm not saying that he should be actively looking to run, but there have been numerous times this year when he's had space but instead decided to chuck the ball way down the field, usually for nothing. Is he just getting greedy? Has he lost a step? Is he afraid of getting hit? He has always picked up lots of key first downs through his running, so it's a big loss if he is really avoiding it.

Thoughts?
It started in preseason. It would appear he's being coached to stay in the pocket. The organization knows what the team looks like without him and it ain't pretty. Unfortunately, "this protecting the franchise" approach is not helping matters.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It started in preseason. It would appear he's being coached to stay in the pocket. The organization knows what the team looks like without him and it ain't pretty. Unfortunately, "this protecting the franchise" approach is not helping matters.

Unfortunately I wouldn't say the team looks any prettier now than it did last year.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
o-line is the prob

100% agreed. At one point today out of 18 dropbacks Rogers was sacked twice, hit 4 times, and hurried 6 times. Add to this the fact that the line can't run block, and you've got a real problem on offense.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had time on alot of those plays though. The freaking wr's can not get open which I put on the architect of the offense and not them. I also put some on him for not using the checkdowns. RR was open a few times for 4 or so yds but he was ignored by Rodgers.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something is clearly off with the offense. We can all agree on that. Personally, I'm not able to pick what it could be. Could be any of the things already discussed or combinations of them, but this offense is too good to not get it figured out.

This offense has plenty of talent and has always been good under Rodgers and MM.

A problem could arise though if the offense takes too long to figure it out and we fall into a hole too big to climb out of. When we get it figured out is very important.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
And of course there's no guarantee that strategy protects him. If he's smart outside the pocket and gets out of bounds or slides, IMO he's just as safe - or safer - than staying in the pocket.

Latest posts