Cam Newton reported for theft by Packer fan

coffee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have clarified what I meant by inappropriate. Opposing team banners are not allowed to be hung there according to stadium rules. No problem supporting your team, wearing cheesehead hats etc. but according to those rules, it's inappropriate.

You may not have known about the TD balls, but you'd be in the minority, and it would be a fairly hollow argument to claim that a guy that was drafted by, and played for the Panthers for many years didn't know it.

Either way, I'm not insulting Peppers. I like him. I like that he was frustrated at the TD. I think it shows a competitive spirit. I also understand that he meant no disrespect to the kids.... Just like I understand that Cam didn't mean any harm.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I don't see that the Packers fan did anything wrong, if anything he should be applauded for having the balls to proclaim his loyalty on enemy territory. Security have no place to removing the sign, it wasn't offensive.

Nothing wrong with promoting a little homage to your own team on opposition turf :)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

That picture sums up about the ONLY thing I like about the Cowboys....

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummm, because otherwise posting in a thread dealing with Cam Newton's actions isn't appropriate.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Sorry, I should have clarified what I meant by inappropriate. Opposing team banners are not allowed to be hung there according to stadium rules

Is this a general no no, or is this purely a Panthers thing ?? Not trying to be antagonistic, just asking a question.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone posting on this but IMO it a clear example of its wrong for Cam Newton to do this but if any Packer player did it to an opposing teams fan at Lambeau it would be fine for some people. I'm not also not saying every Packer fan would feel this way. I'm sure some might be put off by any player doing this.

Personally I don't have a problem with what he did but I do think the fan should be reimbursed for the sign. As for paying $500.00 I could see it if he went to a local sign shop. I paid $400.00 for a banner once because the owner of the shop was a customer of mine (one time) and I figured I'd return the favor. Not only did he never come in again but after I bought the sign I found I could have gotten it for about 100-125 online.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is from the Jets' site. At first glance, it looked like everything is NFL-wide. However, might also read that it just applies to bags, and the "carry-in policy" prohibiting banners is just for their stadium. Stayed tuned for further research.

Stadium FAQ

What can I bring into MetLife Stadium on gameday?
A new carry-in bag policy has been instituted by the NFL for all teams in order to ensure that game attendees experience a safe and secure environment. Effective immediately, fans may bring only the following style and size bag, package, or container into the stadium:

• Bags that are CLEAR plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12” x 6” x 12” in size
  • One-gallon clear plastic food storage bag
  • Small clutch bag approximately the size of a hand (4.5” x 6.5”), with or without a handle or strap – this can be carried separately or within a clear bag
  • Items that are medically necessary, after proper inspection at a specified gate designated for this purpose

Prohibited bags include, but are not limited to: all purses, bags or containers larger than a small clutch bag, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, fanny packs, cinch bags, luggage of any kind, computer bags, and camera bags; seat cushions are also prohibited
If you choose to bring these items to the stadium and do not have a place to store them during the game, you can check them at the Bag Check located on the exterior of the stadium between Verizon and SAP Gates or at other designated locations

To facilitate stadium entry, the Jets encourage all game attendees to bring only what they need to the game. Please note this is a League-wide initiative, so if you are traveling to Jets away games, all stadiums will follow these guidelines.

Carry-In Policy

Guests are welcome to carry-in to the stadium the following items:

• Food contained in a clear plastic bag
  • Factory-sealed, plastic bottles of water or soft drinks that are 20 oz. or less in size.
  • Still-photography cameras with a lens that is 6” or less in length
  • Jackets or blankets after being patted down or searched

Guests may not carry-in the following items:

• Bottles, cans, hard-sided coolers, thermoses or ice chests
  • Alcohol of any kind
  • Weapons or anything that can be used as a projectile or is deemed dangerous by Stadium management
  • Banners, signs or flags of any size
  • Umbrellas, strollers, balls of any kind including full sized footballs, laser pointers, or Frisbees
  • Single purpose video cameras or still-photography cameras with a lens longer than 6” (detachable or non-detachable)
  • Tripods, monopods or "selfie sticks"
  • Any animal with the exception of a service animal
  • Any other item deemed inappropriate by Stadium management
  • For additional MetLife Stadium policies, please click here

I

This is from the Jets' site. At first glance, it looked like everything is NFL-wide. However, might also read that it just applies to bags, and the "carry-in policy" prohibiting banners is just for their stadium. Stayed tuned for further research.

Stadium FAQ

What can I bring into MetLife Stadium on gameday?
A new carry-in bag policy has been instituted by the NFL for all teams in order to ensure that game attendees experience a safe and secure environment. Effective immediately, fans may bring only the following style and size bag, package, or container into the stadium:

• Bags that are CLEAR plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12” x 6” x 12” in size
  • One-gallon clear plastic food storage bag
  • Small clutch bag approximately the size of a hand (4.5” x 6.5”), with or without a handle or strap – this can be carried separately or within a clear bag
  • Items that are medically necessary, after proper inspection at a specified gate designated for this purpose

Prohibited bags include, but are not limited to: all purses, bags or containers larger than a small clutch bag, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, fanny packs, cinch bags, luggage of any kind, computer bags, and camera bags; seat cushions are also prohibited
If you choose to bring these items to the stadium and do not have a place to store them during the game, you can check them at the Bag Check located on the exterior of the stadium between Verizon and SAP Gates or at other designated locations

To facilitate stadium entry, the Jets encourage all game attendees to bring only what they need to the game. Please note this is a League-wide initiative, so if you are traveling to Jets away games, all stadiums will follow these guidelines.

Carry-In Policy

Guests are welcome to carry-in to the stadium the following items:

• Food contained in a clear plastic bag
  • Factory-sealed, plastic bottles of water or soft drinks that are 20 oz. or less in size.
  • Still-photography cameras with a lens that is 6” or less in length
  • Jackets or blankets after being patted down or searched

Guests may not carry-in the following items:

• Bottles, cans, hard-sided coolers, thermoses or ice chests
  • Alcohol of any kind
  • Weapons or anything that can be used as a projectile or is deemed dangerous by Stadium management
  • Banners, signs or flags of any size
  • Umbrellas, strollers, balls of any kind including full sized footballs, laser pointers, or Frisbees
  • Single purpose video cameras or still-photography cameras with a lens longer than 6” (detachable or non-detachable)
  • Tripods, monopods or "selfie sticks"
  • Any animal with the exception of a service animal
  • Any other item deemed inappropriate by Stadium management
  • For additional MetLife Stadium policies, please click here

Thank you, that`s cleared that up.

coffee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this a general no no, or is this purely a Panthers thing ?? Not trying to be antagonistic, just asking a question.

Honestly, I don't know. It's clearly posted in our stadium, but I'm not sure about other stadiums. Looks like Half-Empty has your best answer.

I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone posting on this but IMO it a clear example of its wrong for Cam Newton to do this but if any Packer player did it to an opposing teams fan at Lambeau it would be fine for some people. I'm not also not saying every Packer fan would feel this way. I'm sure some might be put off by any player doing this.

Personally I don't have a problem with what he did but I do think the fan should be reimbursed for the sign. As for paying $500.00 I could see it if he went to a local sign shop. I paid $400.00 for a banner once because the owner of the shop was a customer of mine (one time) and I figured I'd return the favor. Not only did he never come in again but after I bought the sign I found I could have gotten it for about 100-125 online.

That's what I mean as well. I certainly don't want to be allowed to visit your board and show any disrespect, but I do appreciate your balanced view of this. And just to let you know, my understanding is that the Panthers are reimbursing him.

I

Honestly, I don't know. It's clearly posted in our stadium, but I'm not sure about other stadiums. Looks like Half-Empty has your best answer.

That's what I mean as well. I certainly don't want to be allowed to visit your board and show any disrespect, but I do appreciate your balanced view of this. And just to let you know, my understanding is that the Panthers are reimbursing him.

Just to clarify my personal view of it, I`m not saying anything like it`s okay for us to do it in our house, but not okay for the Panthers to do the same thing.
I am saying it is wrong full stop. It was not Newtons job to do it, and it was an act of posturing bravado, "Look at me, I`m a tough guy !"
If it was against your stadiums rules, then your security didn`t do its job properly.
As far as visiting our forum and being disrespectful ?, You are not being disrespectful, you are expressing an opinion, so don`t worry on that score. :)

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This whole "my house" thing is tiresome. Let your play do the talking. And that should be the league rule.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for banners at met life stadium. I've not paid much attention before but it would really surprise me if there were none. That goes for any stadium.

I was under the impression that he was going to be reimbursed as well. Maybe he can get a new one and have Cam autograph it.

Just to clarify my personal view of it, I`m not saying anything like it`s okay for us to do it in our house, but not okay for the Panthers to do the same thing.
I am saying it is wrong full stop. It was not Newtons job to do it, and it was an act of posturing bravado, "Look at me, I`m a tough guy !"
If it was against your stadiums rules, then your security didn`t do its job properly.
As far as visiting our forum and being disrespectful ?, You are not being disrespectful, you are expressing an opinion, so don`t worry on that score. :)

Thanks for the clarification Bill. Like I said I was not pointing fingers and I didn't read anything of the sort but its exactly the kind of thing that I would expect to garner such a response.

coffee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somewhat off topic: You guys have an admirable message board here. I've tried to be respectful, but I did state an opposing position on this. I'm not only the fan of another team, but the team that just beat you. Yet you have been very cordial and enjoyable to talk with, even on a thread like this. (By way of comparison, I just posted a neutral nice thought on another team's board and immediately got attacked and insulted.) Just wanted to thank you for that.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Somewhat off topic: You guys have an admirable message board here. I've tried to be respectful, but I did state an opposing position on this. I'm not only the fan of another team, but the team that just beat you. Yet you have been very cordial and enjoyable to talk with, even on a thread like this. (By way of comparison, I just posted a neutral nice thought on another team's board and immediately got attacked and insulted.) Just wanted to thank you for that.

I think we are all so worn out from last month's deluge from a Ram's fan that our collective Mother instincts kicked in with guests. Would you like some humble with that pie and coffee? :coffee:

My guess is that our paths may meet again in January and this time, I'm going down their with full body paint and really see if Cam wants to remove "my banner" from the stadium :D :whistling:

G

GhostofCurly

Cam was clearly frustrated because his own fans won't come out and support an undefeated football team. There were easily 25-30,000 Packer fans at the stadium yesterday.
Apparently there's a rule in Bank of America stadium that opposing teams banners are not allowed. Seems a little paranoid to me.
http://news.yahoo.com/panthers-replace-packer-fans-banner-newton-took-234228035--spt.html
http://news.yahoo.com/panthers-replace-packer-fans-banner-newton-took-234228035--spt.html

Panthers executive director of stadium operations Scott Paul said Monday night on the team's website the team will review its current policy on banners and flags. Paul said the banner was in compliance with stadium regulations even though the team policy is that no banners or flags expressing support of visiting teams may be affixed to or displayed on surface.

I

Thanks for the clarification Bill. Like I said I was not pointing fingers and I didn't read anything of the sort but its exactly the kind of thing that I would expect to garner such a response.

Not trying to pick an argument bud, I was just expressing my opinion.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not trying to pick an argument bud, I was just expressing my opinion.

I think you misunderstood.

I was referring to the event being one of those things that I would expect to illicit an "ok for us bad for them" type of response. That is what I meant by "such a response" It had nothing to do with your response. You said straight up its not OK for anyone and like I said in my OP there would be some people who feel that way and those are the opinions I would respect.

Sometimes there's lots of things I could say gooder.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My wife tells me; "You're a man. So you are bound to look. But if you ever reach out to touch, you will draw back a bloody stump!" :eek:
But isn't that the exact moment in the broadcast that we all pause the TV and ........get up for a beer or something?

I

I think you misunderstood.

I was referring to the event being one of those things that I would expect to illicit an "ok for us bad for them" type of response. That is what I meant by "such a response" It had nothing to do with your response. You said straight up its not OK for anyone and like I said in my OP there would be some people who feel that way and those are the opinions I would respect.

Sometimes there's lots of things I could say gooder.

You`re American. You lot kill the Queens English all the time. I forgive you :D

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you should hear me speaking to other aberdonians/scots, and my texting to even my english friends is just as bad, this is about the closest ever speak proper england :D

All I know about Scotland I learned from groundskeeper Willie

Staff online

Latest posts