Cam Newton reported for theft by Packer fan

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
On a local radio station last night I listened to the host and some callers ripping on Cam for his "touchdown dance" and how it was too over the top and took too long (8 seconds). So I have to wonder if that same host and fans feel the say way about our Lambeau Leaps, since I doubt those are accomplished in under 8 seconds. Personally, I love the celebrations after a great play, its shows emotions and excites the fans. Now if they are meant to taunt the opponents or fans then there is no place for them.....but come on NFL and Fans.....let the players celebrate a job well done in a fun, non-threatening playful way, scripted or not.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there's a huge difference in a celebration that involves fans or teammates, and one that is self serving, all about , me, me,me. Cam is all about self-aggrandizing. Some people like it, i think it's rather bush league. I don't think his celebrations have anything to do with celebrating anything other than himself and his ego

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I see why some people hate self celebratory acts, but isn't that a reflection of them and not the player? As they (a fan) should be able to freely express their opinions about a player's celebration. All I am saying is that as long as the player isn't doing it in a way that taunts others, let them celebrate without penalizing them. Fans will judge each player with their own opinions and if I had to guess, there are a lot of Carolina fans that love Cam's dance. As would there be a lot of Packer fans that would love to see Raji dance (once again) in the endzone.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i guess it is a reflection on me, I don't think any player is bigger than the team and in Cam's case i think the rest of his team more responsible for where they are at this year than he is which makes it more irritating to me :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
LOL...I get it Mondio.....some of the self gratification celebrations we have all witnessed through the years have bordered on insanity. But there is a difference between Terrell Owens celebration of pulling a sharpie out of his sock and signing the TD ball and handing it to a fan and Randy Moss pretending to moon the fans. I give Owens a thumbs up for originality and Moss a zero for being classless.

I liken this somewhat to when they changed the rules on penalizing the home team for excessive crowd noise. Anyone else remember that? Not sure if it was a rule in the NFL, since crowd noise back in the 80's was probably never an issue in GB. But I used to attend every Badger game and if the crowd was too noisy and the visiting team couldn't hear to snap the ball, the refs would stop play and ask the crowd to quiet down. If they didn't quiet down, after a few warnings, the home team was penalized. Come on, not letting fans express themselves? So why shouldn't the players be allowed to do the same, as long as its not taunting or derogatory in nature.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why shouldn't players be able to? I guess they should, within reason :) and what's reasonable is different to everyone. I don't particularly care for any of the celebrations. I hate the run to the empty spot and dance around after a sack. Anything more than a ball flip and celebrating with teammates I think is dumb. Fans pay money to support their teams, they can support them through noise, cheering their team and making things difficult for the visitors. Players are paid money to play. I watch the game because I love the game. Hitting, tackling, a good block, a crazy catch, getting back up after being knocked down. All those things give me goosebumps. If i wanted to see players become cheerleaders I'd go watch a cheerleading competition. I'd much rather see Brett Favre running down to tackle his receiver after a big TD than Cam run around away from everyone so nobody will be distracted by other teammates on the field and all eyes can be on him.

I like it when players express themselves thru their level of play, when they become cheerleaders, i'm just hoping they don't put on a skirt

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Are you a hockey fan? There is a debate that has been going on in hockey forever. "Is there a place in hockey for fighting?" I was a long time season ticket holder for Badger hockey as well as attended many games as a kid. When a fight broke out, everybody got on their feet and became the loudest they had all night. After the games, the fights were usually the first topic of conversation. The old joke was "I went to a fight last night and a hockey game broke out". So for me, a good fight breaking out at a game, was always a bonus. But the purists hated fighting, said there was no place in hockey for it. I get both sides of the argument there as well. Some attend hockey for the purity of the play and nothing more, others attended for entertainment and a good old fashioned bench clearing, all equipment laying on the ice fight was really getting your moneys worth in the entertainment department. Sadly, for me, the purists won out and fighting has all but been eliminated from college hockey.

So again, I get both sides of what people do or don't want to see on the football field. But in my eyes, a celebration like Newton's, albeit viewed as self centered by some, is just his way of expressing himself in what I view as a harmless way. Now if he goes over to the opposing bench and starts his routine and a fight breaks out.......I'm in heaven!! But I would understand why THAT would upset most.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not a Hockey fan, i like going once and while, I wish I was exposed to it more when I was a kid, I'd probably have a team and really be into it. I can see myself being the type that would love it when someone got their *** kicked, in the scope of the game, rather than the fight that erupted because someone got their *** kicked in the game. But since I didn't grow up with it, if people like fighting in Hockey, I can accept that is part of the tradition and be fine with it.

hence with football, not every play needed a personal celebration for players to be good, and I liked it that way :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I will tell you the celebrations that I find to be ludicrous and embarrassingly funny, are the ones where a player on a team that is well on their way to losing, makes a marginal play (1 yard tackle for a loss kind of play) and he gets up, beats his chest, dances around and acts like he just won the SuperBowl....but again....his choice if he wants to make an a** of himself.

I probably won't be able to find it, but there was a clip floating around for a long time with such a moment. After the defensive player got done celebrating, one of the offensive players tapped him and directed his attention to the scoreboard.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see why some people hate self celebratory acts, but isn't that a reflection of them and not the player? As they (a fan) should be able to freely express their opinions about a player's celebration. All I am saying is that as long as the player isn't doing it in a way that taunts others, let them celebrate without penalizing them. Fans will judge each player with their own opinions and if I had to guess, there are a lot of Carolina fans that love Cam's dance. As would there be a lot of Packer fans that would love to see Raji dance (once again) in the endzone.

Psychologizing again are we :D

What you say is true though. I remember one of my first favorite Packers defensive players was Dave Roller. I loved his sack dance. I hated Mark Gastineu. Which Packer fan didn't like the Grave Digger? Who doesn't like Clay Matthews' whatever the hell you call it after he makes a sack. OK so that's a bad example because truth be told I really don't like the Clay Matthews whatever the hell you call it after he makes a sack but for the most part we tend to tolerate the celebrations of our team or our favorite players. As Packer fans we love the Lambeau Leap but when other teams do it we look down on it. I don't really like the "discount double check" either but I sure wish I could see a hell of a lot more of it.

Celebrations for great plays are fine but going nuts after a simple tackle is a little absurd. I don't care for the first down motion that so many receivers make and that includes when Donald Driver used to do it. I prefer the "act like you've been there before" approach but at the same time I'm not going to get too riled up over it either. Its players trying to be individuals and like you said if it isn't taunting I can overlook it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts