By all odds, Green Bay the underdog

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By BOB McGINN
[email protected]
Posted: Sept. 29, 2006

Green Bay - It might not qualify as the reincarnation of "Mission Impossible" but the Green Bay Packers recognize that they have little margin for error Monday night in Philadelphia.
Advertisement

Oddsmakers have made the Packers an 11-point underdog, the largest spread they have encountered in a regular-season game since Nov. 27, 1988. That's when the Chicago Bears, a 13-point favorite, held the Packers to 22 yards rushing in a 16-0 victory at Soldier Field.

"The way Philadelphia has played offensively and the way the Packers' pass defense has been is pretty much what got that number going," said Jason Been, a Milwaukee native and oddsmaker for Las Vegas Sports Consultants. "Plus, the Packers' history in Philadelphia. It has not been pretty."

Green Bay, which hasn't won in Philly since 1962, is the only double-digit underdog this week. The seven teams that were favored by 10 or more points in the first three weeks all won, and four beat the spread.

The Packers are 0-8 in the City of Brotherly Love since Vince Lombardi's powerhouse hammered the Eagles, 49-0, as a 17-point pick on a 53-degree afternoon at Franklin Field. Their most crushing defeat occurred in January 2004 in the divisional playoffs, a 20-17 overtime heartbreaker best remembered for the Eagles' stunning conversion late in regulation.

"A lot of these young guys don't even know about fourth and 26," Aaron Kampman said. "We haven't even brought that up. But those of us that played in that game, obviously it sticks in our memory."

Kampman's wife, Linde, happened to be in the stands that day at Lincoln Financial Field.

"And she wasn't treated very nice," said Kampman. "The key is, if you're going to go there, you might not want to wear any Packers' gear because they're going to rough you up a little bit."

Philly and Oakland top Kampman's list of the league's most hostile locales.

"That's a hard place to win," tight end Bubba Franks said. "You can put us an underdog because of that and their offense is pretty good. We do have a young team but, I mean, don't count us out. The game still has to be played. I'm looking forward to our defense having a big game."

Not only did the Packers lose their last eight appearances in Philly but the only time they beat the spread was the '03 playoff game.

"We've been very good around here over the years," long snapper Rob Davis said. "Oddsmakers got a job to do just like we've got a job to do. If they say it's 11 points, it's our duty to go out there and make sure it's 11 points maybe the other way."

Injury list:

The status of defensive tackle Ryan Pickett was upgraded from doubtful to questionable. He returned to practice Friday but didn't move well on a tender ankle.

Running back Ahman Green (rib, hamstring) was given the day off but remained probable.

Kampman (head) and tight end David Martin (illness) both returned.

No official announcement was made but indications were that free agent Brandon Miree will play more at fullback than William Henderson.

Although Jason Spitz continued to work at both left and right guard, it remained unclear whether he would even start.

In Philadelphia, wide receiver Donte' Stallworth (hamstring) returned to practice and is expected to play. Safety Brian Dawkins (concussion) and running back Brian Westbrook (knee) continued sitting out but will play.

Cornerback Lito Sheppard (ankle) was to practice today and could play. Cornerback Rod Hood (heel) probably is out.

Roster move: The Packers on Wednesday filled the vacancy on their practice squad by signing middle linebacker Tim Goodwell, a rookie free agent whom they cut Sept. 2.

In for tryouts this week were linebacker James Davis, a starter for Detroit in 2004 and '05; linebacker Spencer Havner and wide receiver Burl Toler.

Staying put: Wide receiver Koren Robinson said he wouldn't have to miss any practice time next week tending to legal affairs.

"I think my attorney is just going to represent me on that," Robinson said. "But I'd rather not talk about it."

Last month, a supervisor for Kirkland (Wash.) Municipal Court said Robinson would have to appear Wednesday to meet with a judge to determine whether he violated his parole from a drunk driving charge in June 2005.

Players will return from Philadelphia in the wee hours Tuesday, take the day off and probably practice Wednesday.

Sounds like our backfield is going to be. Morency and Miree and Spitz won't be playing at all.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
pyledriver80 said:
It's beginning to look alot like a CFL team

:rotflmao:

Nice one.

Eek, not the CFL. We know thats where all the lousy wannabe lawyers flock to!! (argh sorry personal attack, but ill make up for it when we cyber, i promise)

Well, since our NFL team can't beat anyone but the lowly Lions so far maybe the CFL version will have more luck?