Bulaga reportedly sign with the Packers

H

HardRightEdge

With the internets all abuzz over the Cobb situation, little is being said about Bulaga. What happens if his agent comes in with a high ball number in consideration of the thin FA class?

Last edited by a moderator:

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is a real possibility. I think TT has a number in mind, and like Cobb, if it isnt in line with what he is willing to go to, he will let him walk and next man up

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if we lose both Bulaga and Cobb, things are not going to be as rosy as people might think come next year. However, I have been wrong once or twice before. I personally believe mixing up the continuity of the offensive line that was great last year would hurt us more than losing Cobb though.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb, while good, is replaceable. I would hate to see the same thing that has occurred with our OL in the past happen again. Every year we seem to find the sweet spot for continuity, we lose our best lineman and we wind up playing shuffle the deck for 2-3 more years again.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Kind of like Cobb......I am a Bulaga fan, but as with Cobb and most players, do not break the bank on him or mortgage the future. Which I am confident TT will not do.

He is replaceable. Look what we did with a Rookie Center last year.

He doesn't have a great track record with injuries either.....and when he was out, we made do.

2011: Played 12 games (second team all pro)
2012: " 9 games
2013: Didn't play
2014: Played 15 games

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers should not overpay for any of their free agents. They can always plug in a rookie or free agent if they have to. If Bulaga wants the the highest RT money in the NFL they should show him the door

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb is responsible for Cobb on the field. Bulaga keeps #12 in one piece. He is pretty important. Remember how awful the line was on the right side when he was hurt? Barclay is a good backup but not really a good starter.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not really digging any of our backups going out to RT. Fine in a pinch, get us thru a game or two, but I'm not really comfortable with them getting the starting job. Or maybe they'll get better with more time?? I guess that would be the hope, but I'd rather Bulaga stay out there and take care of that spot on his own rather than someone else with "help"

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Without Bulaga, a step down to "adequate" is taken with Barclay and that's assuming no residual affects from the ACL. It's a double whammy since there will be no OL bench strength, in particular no backup who could even sniff at LT.

In the event of a Bulaga/Cobb departure, Thompson will have a heaping pile of cap to work with. And if a vet ILB is the first move, a vet OT who can at least back up can't be far behind, and that guy's either going to be expensive or not starter material.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about solid starter, I remember him more as passable, better than Marshall Newhouse type. You could get by with him but you'll have to give him help.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Without Bulaga, the backup LT is Derek Sherrod. Maybe he rises from the ashes but I'd not bet on it.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Barkley is a restricted free agent then he may leave as well since TT usually lowballs restricted FA's. Bottom line is if the Packets are going to remain the youngest team in the league then they had better let guys walk and replace them with rookies or free agents. They have been doing that at the center position and RT is likely a similar situation. TT's teams are the youngest or close to the youngest team in the league nearly every season. That is a big priority for him. He had no problem letting veterans walk even if they are elite or above average players.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

My bad. I thought the Packers brought him back on a futures contract. It was KC.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

If Barkley is a restricted free agent then he may leave as well since TT usually lowballs restricted FA's. Bottom line is if the Packets are going to remain the youngest team in the league then they had better let guys walk and replace them with rookies or free agents. They have been doing that at the center position and RT is likely a similar situation. TT's teams are the youngest or close to the youngest team in the league nearly every season. That is a big priority for him. He had no problem letting veterans walk even if they are elite or above average players.
If the Packers did not resign any of the veterans of interest, and stays among the youngest teams in the league by not signing any free agents to replace them, Thompson will be sitting a a big heap of unused salary cap. I don't see that happening.

Thompson will never let both Bulaga and Barklay go...the O-Line cupboard will be bare.

On the bright side...the Packers play in a chronically weak division which shows little sign of improving.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Bulaga is not re-signed the Packers pretty much have to draft one in the first few rounds if not the first round. Not to do so is to risk the franchise.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
TT's teams are the youngest or close to the youngest team in the league nearly every season. That is a big priority for him. He had no problem letting veterans walk even if they are elite or above average players.
I don't think having the youngest team - or nearly the youngest team in the league is a "big priority" for Thompson. In fact, letting core and elite players walk for the purpose of having a young team (if that were the big priority) seems incredibly foolish. Thompson's big priority is being a draft and develop team which keeps as many of the core and elite players it develops as it can. Letting a soon to be 26 year old Bulaga (and a 24 year old Cobb) go to "stay young" would be idiotic IMO.

Last edited:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How many elite players has he let walk and they remain elite?
Brett Favre doesnt count

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of ironic that Sherrod will be trying out with KC, since it was the game vs KC in 2011 that he suffered that horrific injury.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is not letting them go to stay "young". If they go, it will be because somebody else over paid, and you have to learn to accept that if you want to be a fan and maintain some sanity. It's going to happen.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga would be nice but let's remember the Packers went 15-1 with Marshall Newhouse starting 13 games at left tackle. I think everyone can agree that a Newhouse-level player is probably the worst case scenario for whoever replaces Bulaga and that left tackle is way more important than right tackle. Losing Bulaga won't be the end of the world, or even close to it.