Bulaga reportedly sign with the Packers

D

Deleted member 6794

Barclay was a solid starter to me when Buluga was out two years ago.

Barclay was decent in pass protection but terrible in run blocking in 2013. I´m fine with him being the primary backup but don´t want him to be the starter.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga would be nice but let's remember the Packers went 15-1 with Marshall Newhouse starting 13 games at left tackle. I think everyone can agree that a Newhouse-level player is probably the worst case scenario for whoever replaces Bulaga and that left tackle is way more important than right tackle. Losing Bulaga won't be the end of the world, or even close to it.

I don't think LT is much more important than RT to be honest. At least not as much as some people think. To hear some people if you had the best LT in the league you could put anyone, and I mean anyone, in at RT and your line would be fine. I disagree with that. On a rating of 1-10 if I had a choice between a 10 at LT and a 4 at RT or 7s at both spots I'd take the 7s every day.

I also don't know why people are so quick to jump on the "We did it without him in the past that proves we don't need him" type of stuff. I get it that our offense will continue on without these players. Unless the team folds that is what will happen. I just don't understand why you would be OK going into the next season with stop gap players if it is at all possible to avoid it.

Its also a bit presumptuous to think that just because Ted seems to have struck gold with later round OL the last two years that he will automatically do it again (same for WRs for that matter)

No, you don't pay these guys whatever they are asking. There needs to be some checks in place to keep it from getting out of hand and I think Ted and the cap meisters in Green Bay have done a good job of that.

If Bulaga and Cobb get elite type money elsewhere and they move on I won't blame them certainly and I will understand why Ted let them walk. Depending on the details I may not agree but I will understand. What I won't do is sit back and say it doesn't matter because we did this before and Ted can do that and we have Aaron so we won't miss a beat. Losing your best guys causes you to miss beats. You might be able to make them up but is certainly not a foregone conclusion.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think LT is much more important than RT to be honest. At least not as much as some people think. To hear some people if you had the best LT in the league you could put anyone, and I mean anyone, in at RT and your line would be fine. I disagree with that. On a rating of 1-10 if I had a choice between a 10 at LT and a 4 at RT or 7s at both spots I'd take the 7s every day.

I also don't know why people are so quick to jump on the "We did it without him in the past that proves we don't need him" type of stuff. I get it that our offense will continue on without these players. Unless the team folds that is what will happen. I just don't understand why you would be OK going into the next season with stop gap players if it is at all possible to avoid it.

Its also a bit presumptuous to think that just because Ted seems to have struck gold with later round OL the last two years that he will automatically do it again (same for WRs for that matter)

No, you don't pay these guys whatever they are asking. There needs to be some checks in place to keep it from getting out of hand and I think Ted and the cap meisters in Green Bay have done a good job of that.

If Bulaga and Cobb get elite type money elsewhere and they move on I won't blame them certainly and I will understand why Ted let them walk. Depending on the details I may not agree but I will understand. What I won't do is sit back and say it doesn't matter because we did this before and Ted can do that and we have Aaron so we won't miss a beat. Losing your best guys causes you to miss beats. You might be able to make them up but is certainly not a foregone conclusion.

Well, the NFL disagress with the LT not being more important than the RT (hence the reason LT salaries are much higher than RT). The whole "we did it before" is perfectly valid because it points out that the oline losing a tackle isn't going to destroy the team. A really good QB doesn't need a great oline (or even a good oline); what was the last Super Bowl winner with an above average oline? It might have been the Packers in 2010.

You respond to a post initially by pointing out that you don't go into the season with stop gap guy if possible to avoid it, which wasn't anything that I mentioned at all. My point was that the offense wouldn't fall apart without Bulaga. I brought up Newhouse at LT as an example of how a bad tackle can be accounted for by an offense and the offense can still excel. However, you then go on to sort of support my point by saying that the Packers shouldn't overpay these guys to keep them. If the Packers don't have to keep these guys (even at the risk of overpaying) then how key are they really for the offense next year? That was my only point.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the NFL disagress with the LT not being more important than the RT (hence the reason LT salaries are much higher than RT). The whole "we did it before" is perfectly valid because it points out that the oline losing a tackle isn't going to destroy the team. A really good QB doesn't need a great oline (or even a good oline); what was the last Super Bowl winner with an above average oline? It might have been the Packers in 2010.

You respond to a post initially by pointing out that you don't go into the season with stop gap guy if possible to avoid it, which wasn't anything that I mentioned at all. My point was that the offense wouldn't fall apart without Bulaga. I brought up Newhouse at LT as an example of how a bad tackle can be accounted for by an offense and the offense can still excel. However, you then go on to sort of support my point by saying that the Packers shouldn't overpay these guys to keep them. If the Packers don't have to keep these guys (even at the risk of overpaying) then how key are they really for the offense next year? That was my only point.

First of all there is definitely a perceived difference in value between LT and RT. I'm just not sure it is a valid one or at least it is not as bug as some people would think. I also think thge better the QB is the less the difference in value between a LT and RT is.

I don't think we necessarily disagree on the whole FA thing. The Packers will go on if Cobb and Bulaga leave, that is a given. They will still probably be one of the top offenses in the league even without them. I just think it would be a lot easier to be one of those top offenses with them and I think paying a little more would be a wise thing to do. Paying a lot more, no I don't think that is wise. I guess what it comes down to is how much you think is overpaying. To me 10 million per year is not paying to much for Cob for all he brings. 12 million, yeah that is probably too much. Others think anything over 8 is too much. We all agree on the basic premise which is set your price and don't go over it we just disagree on the price.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beightol was a great offensive line coach. Hopefully TT agrees with his analysis of our o line.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big ole world keeps right on turning. Yes it would be easier if we resign Bulaga and Cobb, Raji is comeback player of the year, linebacker becomes a position of strength somehow, we suffer no injuries etc. Most likely this doesn't all happen and we have to fight it out in a parity league

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big ole world keeps right on turning. Yes it would be easier if we resign Bulaga and Cobb, Raji is comeback player of the year, linebacker becomes a position of strength somehow, we suffer no injuries etc. Most likely this doesn't all happen and we have to fight it out in a parity league

Yep, that's a big part of what makes life great; you never know......

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I don't think anybody believes all of that will happen. The question is how much of that will happen.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just so you know...those are not the right tackle prospects; those are offensive tackle prospects.

You can figure the first 4 or 5 names on that list will be off the board when the Packers pick.
http://www.drafttek.com/2015-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-Left-Offensive-Tackles-2015-Draft.asp

I didn't compare the rankings for each and every one but suppose they rate some higher or lower as prospects for left or right. Probably doesn't make too much difference. Bulaga was originally drafted for left tackle and only his training camp injury in 2013 and Bakhtiari's emergence put him on the right.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bulaga was originally drafted for left tackle and only his training camp injury in 2013 and Bakhtiari's emergence put him on the right.

Bulaga started a total of 33 regular season games and five playoffs games including every single one during the Packers Super Bowl run at RT from 2010-12.

McCarthy's plan to switch him to the left side in 2013 never worked out because of Bulaga's season ending knee injury and the surprising emergence of Bakhtiari.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Don't know what the chances are on Bulaga. Hope he hangs around...for his attitude and leadership if nothing else. The guy is just flat out talented.

I don't know whether or not he could play left tackle -- I'm assuming he could, it's a matter of inverting all of the technique that you've grown accustomed to...I'd bet he could because he's smart -- most talented OL are.

Are there any starting southpaw QB's in the NFL? That's where the biggest risk to the Pack losing Bryan comes from. Left Tackles get more money and more notoriety because most NFL QB's are righties ... put a lefty under center and your priority is Right Tackle.

I'm hoping that he hangs around. Certainly understand if he gets more money and leaves but...maybe we'll get lucky.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anything can happen, but waking up to news of Cobb resigning has made me more optimistic about Bulaga.
I had him at 50/50. Now I'll say 80/20.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And it begins again...
Bulaga is said to be looking for $7-8M a year, with the Bucs, Jags and Redskins interested.
Silverstien has a source saying that no way will the Packers pay $7M or more per year for Bulaga, and are prepared to let him walk if he stays firm on that.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga started a total of 33 regular season games and five playoffs games including every single one during the Packers Super Bowl run at RT from 2010-12.

McCarthy's plan to switch him to the left side in 2013 never worked out because of Bulaga's season ending knee injury and the surprising emergence of Bakhtiari.

Bulaga became right tackle in 2010 because of Mark Tauscher's injury.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And it begins again...
Bulaga is said to be looking for $7-8M a year, with the Bucs, Jags and Redskins interested.
Silverstien has a source saying that no way will the Packers pay $7M or more per year for Bulaga, and are prepared to let him walk if he stays firm on that.
I can not see him leaving for any of those 3 crap teams.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope they resign him, but I also hope they don't pay too much. The coaches know more about what they have with Barclay and Tretter, who will be competing during camp to see which will be the backup tackle and which will be the backup interior guy. If they really think that one or both of those guys (plus a rookie) and handle it then they shouldn't waste money if they don't have to. I hope Cobb's idea is infectious though and Bulaga sticks around to play for a winner.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
And it begins again...

He wont be a Packer if thats really true.

I think they only give him at most 6 per year

Members online