Bulaga reportedly sign with the Packers

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to have him back also but I think from a salary cap standpoint you have to limit your offer especially with past injury concerns. We also have 2 possible replacements on the roster in Barclay and Tretter. Remember Bachtiara and Linsley were both snow white rookies who came in and started right away and have done a heck of a job. I think most of our priorities should be on the defensive side of the ball now.

D

Deleted member 6794

JC Tretter played Tackle in college. Any chance he gets moved out to RT with Corey Linsley tying down the starters job at Centre?

Tretter is still a huge unknown after two years in the league as he was injured most of the time. While he played LT in college the competition level in the Ivy League isn't even close to the NFL. The coaches like him so I expect him to be one of the backups on the OL but don't see him as a starter.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious why you don't think Tretter couldn't start at RT. Bachtaria started at LT as a rookie. Linsley started at center as a rookie. This is Tretters 2nd year in the system I don't see no reason he wouldn't have at least a shot to be the starting RT next year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just curious why you don't think Tretter couldn't start at RT. Bachtaria started at LT as a rookie. Linsley started at center as a rookie. This is Tretters 2nd year in the system I don't see no reason he wouldn't have at least a shot to be the starting RT next year.

I haven't seen anything convincing me he's able to start at RT. In his limited action there this season he gave up the game-clinching safety vs. Buffalo. It's possible he tirns into a reliable starter on the right side but I wouldn't feel comfortable entering the season with him being the primary option.

andeftw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quite frankly, what has Bulaga done to show he deserves that kind of money? I realize that he is young, but two RT's who performed about as well as he did last year (Free (DAL) and Newton (HOU)) signed for 5M/yr.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quite frankly, what has Bulaga done to show he deserves that kind of money? I realize that he is young, but two RT's who performed about as well as he did last year (Free (DAL) and Newton (HOU)) signed for 5M/yr.

A lot of it is a 'perfect storm' of opportunity. He's hitting a market that's favorable for him, especially if enough teams see him as a realistic option at LT.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we are all on the same team here. Its just sometimes you have to realize maybe at certain positions there may be less expensive options that may not cause a huge downgrade and I think this may be the case here.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bulaga is significantly younger than both of them and some teams might be inclined to play him on the left side.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know we are all on the same team here. Its just sometimes you have to realize maybe at certain positions there may be less expensive options that may not cause a huge downgrade and I think this may be the case here.

The 2014 offensive line was the best in McCarthy's tenure. I don't think it's a good idea to break up that unit.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Captain I get your point. I would like to have Bryan back also but you know all these bottom feeder teams with tons of cap space are going to drive his price up considerably. He is probably the best FA tackle out their and they will over spend to get him. I just don't think it is in our best interest right now with some defensive concerns to get in a bidding war for him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Captain I get your point. I would like to have Bryan back also but you know all these bottom feeder teams with tons of cap space are going to drive his price up considerably. He is probably the best FA tackle out their and they will over spend to get him. I just don't think it is in our best interest right now with some defensive concerns to get in a bidding war for him.

I agree the Packers shouldn't bring him back at all costs. I would be fine with a $7 million per year deal though.

andeftw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga is significantly younger than both of them and some teams might be inclined to play him on the left side.

Only two years younger than Newton, who missed four games since being drafted four seasons ago. Bulaga has missed 28 games over that same stretch. Why would you pay a good, but not top tier, RT with a considerable injury history more than the going market rate for players of his skill level? As far as I am concerned, his injury history balances out the advantage that is his young age.

Now if some other team is willing to pay him like a solid LT, I'm very happy for Bryan. Thompson has shown he can consistently draft solid lineman in the middle rounds, so I trust he can continue to do the same and find a solid player to start at RT.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeh, I dunno. He had a solid year last year, but I don't trust him to stay healthy, and I don't like the idea of paying guys that don't stay on the field. I want him back, but if it's not a pretty darn Pack-friendly deal, I won't really care if he leaves.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's not back by Tuesday, I don't expect to see him back. It's likely they take a tackle in the first 3 rounds.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
7 million a year is what he'll get if he re-signs with us.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see Bulaga back due to the rumors of what some teams are willing to pay and now that we spent BIG money on Cobb. I expect Barclay to get first crack at RT+Tretter+a draft pick up this draft from TT. If Bulaga is the only lineman going into the season we are missing I like our OL chances of improving on 2014...now if one of the other 4 can't go for some reason that is not good at all. I expect Linsley to honestly be one of the best C's we've had and Bahk is just simply bursting through supposed walls every year....this OL is tough with or without Bulaga...but life without seems a whole lot more likely.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If Bulaga is the only lineman going into the season we are missing I like our OL chances of improving on 2014...
Losing (who I consider) the second O lineman and the best OT on the team and you like the chances of the OL improving in 2014? IMO Barclay is nowhere near as good as Bulaga and there was a reason Tretter was going to be the OC before he got hurt. They shouldn't keep Bulaga at any price and obviously life will go on without him but thinking the OL will get better without him is unrealistic IMO.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing (who I consider) the second O lineman and the best OT on the team and you like the chances of the OL improving in 2014? IMO Barclay is nowhere near as good as Bulaga and there was a reason Tretter was going to be the OC before he got hurt. They shouldn't keep Bulaga at any price and obviously life will go on without him but thinking the OL will get better without him is unrealistic IMO.

Yes, I still foresee the chance statistically our line is better without him. Would we be better with him, duh, no argument there. However, Bahk is starting to hit his stride and I feel has proven he's a better OT than Bulaga hence why we keep him at LT. Linsley was awesome last year, but that was as a rookie and I expect a ton of growth out of him. Lang and Sitton are studs, possibly the best Guard tandem in the league....so yes I do expect growth out of the lineup even if that means a fresh T on the right side. I hope he takes a cut and stays but I simply do not see it happening and Bulaga will not be on a Green Bay jersey come this season.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree the Packers shouldn't bring him back at all costs. I would be fine with a $7 million per year deal though.

Jeremy Parnell reportedly is going to get almost $7M per year and he's a backup/swing T, if I'm Bulaga I'm looking at that and demanding at least $9M per. The money is getting outrageous.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga has got to take the big garaunteed money NOW. What are the chances he's ever the #1 tackle in free agency again? With his injury history he's got to lock things up. Also I don't buy this rumor that Cobb turned down significantly more money elsewhere. Nice story for his agent to put out there, but it's impossible to verify. Glad to have him back. Bulaga is much more replaceable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts