Brian Gutekunst new Packers GM

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the personnel guy over the numbers guy. that's good. hope he's got balls. guess we'll see soon enough. if he does that'll put the onus on MM to put up or shut up.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We do gotta expect him to come in and run things differently he knows what the fans want and what the team needs

If he's going to run things in any little way based off what fans want then we hired the wrong guy

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is beyond awesome. I think they went with the best possible internal candidate. Now let's see who our DC is... Hoping for Fangio.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I good with this. Did NOT want Russ Ball as the GM.

I really don't care if Wolf is furious. He can leave if he wants to. Obviously the Packers felt that Gutekunst was a better fit.

I'm curious as to what all the talk was that the fix was in for Russ Ball. Was that bad info or was there a change in opinion after key people voiced displeasure?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We do gotta expect him to come in and run things differently he knows what the fans want and what the team needs
Oh please. Screw whatever it is some of the fans think they want. I get so dang sick of some people pretending they know what is really going on and know exactly what needs to be done.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is beyond awesome. I think they went with the best possible internal candidate. Now let's see who our DC is... Hoping for Fangio.

Rumor has it, they have found their DC. He plans on running the "4-5-1", build a wall around the line of scrimmage and make the Defense great again!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So if the Packers play well as a team, will the fans start chanting "Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuut"?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I good with this. Did NOT want Russ Ball as the GM.

I really don't care if Wolf is furious. He can leave if he wants to. Obviously the Packers felt that Gutekunst was a better fit.

I'm curious as to what all the talk was that the fix was in for Russ Ball. Was that bad info or was there a change in opinion after key people voiced displeasure?
He was the fav... But I'm thinking Brian Gut had an awesome interview.. And blew away Murphy

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was the fav... But I'm thinking Brian Gut had an awesome interview.. And blew away Murphy
I read he blew away Murphy and McCarthy Friday in the interview. Must mean they plan on MM going forward,and that may help us sign a good DC sooner rather than later.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh please. Screw whatever it is some of the fans think they want. I get so dang sick of some people pretending they know what is really going on and know exactly what needs to be done.
Right I get what ur saying.. but dude the fans are who bring in that cash flow... realistically the ONLY a thing that matters in the end to anyone is Money.. plain and simple that’s it bottom line.. yeah they wanna win but whatever way they can keep bringing in money then they are happy

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is great btw. He was my favorite candidate. But I mean, I don't know anything about these guys, none of us do. What we know is that Gute is highly respected across the league, and he was a top scout for one of, if not the best, scouting teams in the league. Keeping Gute and Ball is a win.

I don't get Wolf wanting to leave. He's not in the running for any GM job. He's going to be the top personnel guy after Gute here. Where would he go where he will have more power? I get that he's disappointed/mad, but leaving doesn't make any sense to me.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I think they tested the waters with Russ Ball but then MM said he would quit and that probably put a damper to that. If A-Rod dident like him as GM that would not be good dont want to make your franchise QB mad and your HC want to leave.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is great btw. He was my favorite candidate. But I mean, I don't know anything about these guys, none of us do. What we know is that Gute is highly respected across the league, and he was a top scout for one of, if not the best, scouting teams in the league. Keeping Gute and Ball is a win.

I don't get Wolf wanting to leave. He's not in the running for any GM job. He's going to be the top personnel guy after Gute here. Where would he go where he will have more power? I get that he's disappointed/mad, but leaving doesn't make any sense to me.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/950092060299800577

Murphy and Gute are reportedly going to try to convince him to stay.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think they tested the waters with Russ Ball but then MM said he would quit and that probably put a damper to that. If A-Rod dident like him as GM that would not be good dont want to make your franchise QB mad and your HC want to leave.

I think you may be spot on. Ball would have been a big rock of the boat amongst too many people that the Packers wanted to retain. It will be interesting to see if Ball stays. Wolf, if he continues to prove himself will get hist shot somewhere at some point. Seems like whenever you heard of other teams interviewing candidates for GM jobs, Gutekunst name was in the mix (Wolf's too). That tells me something, he isn't just a guy doing an ok job in GB, he is a guy other teams were keeping their eyes on.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll find a way.

Actually I'm happy. To get Thompson and Capers out of there is a dream come true. I never would of believed it a month ago that these guys would finally be gone. I see a reason for hope an optimism.

I think it just came down to age with Elliot still being pretty darn young to make a GM.

Members online