Brian Brohm from Scouts.inc

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Taking Brian Brohm, Good Move

This move is not to send a message to Favre or A-Rod, it is to get more value by trading him in the future.

I think that is a bit of a stretch. A second round draft pick is still a pretty valuable pick, and to think that Thompson would draft him with the sole plan to trade him away in two years is a little out there.

Personally, I believe that they drafted Brohm as an insurance policy in case that Aaron Rodgers does not pan out in his first year as a starter. If Rodgers does fine, then Brohm will almost certainly be trade bait in 2010 if not earlier. If Rodgers does not pan out, or is too injury prone, then the Packers have a solid QB to fall back on. It is nothing against Aaron Rodgers, this is how most NFL teams work. You guys have just been spoiled with Fav-re for so long that you forgot what it is like to have some uncertainty at the QB position. ;)

I agree that it was a good move, but I think you are trying to attribute WAY to much fantasy to the motives behind the pick.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Profizzle99 said:
This move is not to send a message to Favre or A-Rod, it is to get more value by trading him in the future.

I think that is a bit of a stretch. A second round draft pick is still a pretty valuable pick, and to think that Thompson would draft him with the sole plan to trade him away in two years is a little out there.

Personally, I believe that they drafted Brohm as an insurance policy in case that Aaron Rodgers does not pan out in his first year as a starter. If Rodgers does fine, then Brohm will almost certainly be trade bait in 2010 if not earlier. If Rodgers does not pan out, or is too injury prone, then the Packers have a solid QB to fall back on. It is nothing against Aaron Rodgers, this is how most NFL teams work. You guys have just been spoiled with Fav-re for so long that you forgot what it is like to have some uncertainty at the QB position. ;)

I agree that it was a good move, but I think you are trying to attribute WAY to much fantasy to the motives behind the pick.

I am not sure about the trade projection, but I'm pretty sure they drafted him to be a solid NUMBER 2 quarterback..

Check the draft day 1 video on Ted Thompson regarding Aaron and Brian Brohm. His quotes "Aaron's a pro..he knows this is his job. I let Brian know what his role is and he knows this is Aaron's team"

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score

NodakPaul said:
Profizzle99 said:

I am not sure about the trade projection, but I'm pretty sure they drafted him to be a solid NUMBER 2 quarterback..

Check the draft day 1 video on Ted Thompson regarding Aaron and Brian Brohm. His quotes "Aaron's a pro..he knows this is his job. I let Brian know what his role is and he knows this is Aaron's team"

Agreed. I don't think Rodgers needs to be worried about his job this year by any means.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taking Brian Brohm, Good Move

I don't think TT would take a player in the second round either to push Rodgers or because he thinks he can trade him in two years.

He took Brohm because he was good value at that pick according to the draft board. Now the question is, what is Brohm's purpose for the Packers? There I think his purpose is not really to push Rodgers but to be developed into a #2, or developed into a #1 and traded.

Maybe I am wrong but in the top rounds I don't think TT is having any of those thoughts, he is watching his board. He had Brohm ranked high because he thought he was a good QB, or thought he was a good QB for our offense. All these other things are after-the-fact considerations, at least in the top rounds.

That's my best reading of Thompson, but who knows, he is hard to figure out sometimes.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No, not this year. Next year or the year after? Who knows...

Produce or perish. But isn't that what the NFL is all about anyway? It's good to have a promising your QB as a backup to push our starter as they both develop.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

I think the Flynn pick is all about developing and then dealing though.. not sure with the Brohm pick.

I think the Brohm pick might be just incase Rodger fails, gets injured or is marginal enough that when it comes to contract time they have options other than coughing up whatever money Rodgers might want.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't really see how the Brohm pick should bother Rodgers. I mean Rodgers is used to having a Hall of Famer and a #1 pick on the team. Now there's a #1 pick and a #2 pick. I really don't see the big deal. He of all people should know that being drafted at QB for the Packers doesn't mean you play!

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree, but this has to be one of the smartest picks in the draft. TT has put way more thought into this pick than you might think. If Rodgers sucks, you have Brohm, If Rodgers lives up to his expectations, Brohm goes and our once 2nd round pick becomes a 1st.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree, but this has to be one of the smartest picks in the draft. TT has put way more thought into this pick than you might think. If Rodgers sucks, you have Brohm, If Rodgers lives up to his expectations, Brohm goes and our once 2nd round pick becomes a 1st.

Exactly. It's a win/win situation.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score

johnny_blood said:
I don't think TT would take a player in the second round either to push Rodgers or because he thinks he can trade him in two years.

He took Brohm because he was good value at that pick according to the draft board. Now the question is, what is Brohm's purpose for the Packers? There I think his purpose is not really to push Rodgers but to be developed into a #2, or developed into a #1 and traded.

Maybe I am wrong but in the top rounds I don't think TT is having any of those thoughts, he is watching his board. He had Brohm ranked high because he thought he was a good QB, or thought he was a good QB for our offense. All these other things are after-the-fact considerations, at least in the top rounds.

That's my best reading of Thompson, but who knows, he is hard to figure out sometimes.

This is a very accurate reading IMHO =)

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If Aaron Rodgers sat on the bench for three years, there's no reason why Brohm can't sit on the bench for three years--maybe even four. That's plenty of time to find out if Rodgers can stay healthy and play at a high enough level. If Rodgers is doing fine after a few years, it would be a waste to have Brohm on the bench, so Ted could trade him away, just like Ron Wolf did with Hasselbeck, Detmer, and Brooks.

But all kinds of things can happen in the space of three or four years, so it's jumping the gun to think that Thompson drafted Brohm just to trade him away.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Greg C. said:
If Aaron Rodgers sat on the bench for three years, there's no reason why Brohm can't sit on the bench for three years--maybe even four. That's plenty of time to find out if Rodgers can stay healthy and play at a high enough level. If Rodgers is doing fine after a few years, it would be a waste to have Brohm on the bench, so Ted could trade him away, just like Ron Wolf did with Hasselbeck, Detmer, and Brooks.

But all kinds of things can happen in the space of three or four years, so it's jumping the gun to think that Thompson drafted Brohm just to trade him away.

agreed.

i think everything is black and white with Ted. he probably saw Brian Brohm on the board and said "I like Brian Brohm, he could be a good player." then he drafted him.

it was vastly different with Matt Flynn though. when he saw Flynn's name still on the board he said "I like Matt Flynn, he might turn out to be a good player." then he drafted him.

the difference in those 2 sentences are miles apart in Ted's world.

RedSoxExcel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Great pick. If Rodgers doesn't work out or is injured all the time, then we have a solid QB.

Though I feel bad for Brohm, if he would have come out last year, he would have been a top 10 draft pick, now he fell all the way to the second round when Petrino left. Ouch. That cost him millions.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have no problem with the pick at all. I think Rodgers will do just fine but we have to remember there is no longer the "guarantee" of #4 out there each week. That streak was simply unparalleled and leaves Packer fans really spoiled. 60 different QBs started in the NFL last season yet only one had started in Green Bay for 16 seasons.

IOW - Rodgers will play fine but the team needs to be ready if he can't get out there.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brian Brohm has already been on the cover of Sports Illustrated:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2003 HS Football Cover:

2007 College Football Cover:

Deadliest in College Football ESPN Cover

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Consensus Draft Services evaluation:

Overview
Brian has great football bloodlines, and were he able to stay healthy for the entire 2006 season would probably have been a surefire top 15 pick. As it is, he returned to school for his senior year in order to enhance his draft status and get his degree. Unfortunately, the wheels came off for the entire team in 2007, and, as always, Brian took an inordinate amount of blame for his team's difficulties. At Trinity High School in Louisville, KY, Brian was named the USA Today Offensive Player of the Year for producing 10,579 yards and 119 touchdowns during his prep career. Brian was the recipient of the National Quarterback Club's award for the National High School Quarterback of the Year and was voted one of the 2003 National Top 150 Adidas Playmakers while also being named the Gatorade Player of the Year. Brian was named to the Parade Magazine High School All-American teams and ranked as the No. 1 quarterback and No. 2 prospect by ESPN's Tom Lemming. Led the Shamrocks to three state titles and was awarded the Roy Kidd Award. He was a three-time state finals Most Valuable Player. Brian also started for the East squad in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl and finished second in state history in career passing yards and career touchdowns. He also set a state record for career completion percentage and threw for 3,720 yards and 33 touchdowns during senior season, completing 298-of-463 passes. Brian passed for 3,777 yards and 47 touchdowns as a junior. 2003 Kentucky Mr. Football. Brian was also MVP of his high school baseball team that advanced to the semi-finals of the state tournament and has been drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the baseball draft.

Brian performed well at the Combine, throwing the ball with authority and accuracy and, as a result, he re-enhanced his status as one of the top 3 QBs available for the 2008 NFL draft.

Strengths
Brian is a veteran QB who shared time his freshman year with Stefan LeFors. Is like a coach on the field. Knows what to do, when to do it, and displays a classic delivery, touch, and good arm strength. Ideal measurables. A leader who is a student of the game. Inspires people around him. Makes all the throws. Comes from football bloodlines and has seen it all. One of the most NFL-ready QBs to come along in years. Was more productive every year, and did a fine job even when UL suffered mightily on the field in 2007 versus the preseason bowl predictions. Smart, and makes good decisions most of the time. Very acceptable ball speed and accuracy.

Weaknesses
Footwork and toughness are the only questionable items. He sometimes puts himself in unfavorable positions that expose him to injury. Foot speed is not great, so he will not escape when the pressure gets to him like others might. Pocket presence is shaky at times. Gets rattled and loses focus at times and struggles to make his reads as quickly as he will need to at the next level. A bit streaky and moody. Concentration and level of play suffer when things start to go wrong. Must be protected well in the pocket. Will not create on the wings.

Projection
Should be a Top 15 choice in the 2008 NFL draft.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People like to read too much into things. TT didn't pickup a veteran QB to backup Rodgers like he planned. Favre offhand mentioned that he'd consider coming out of retirement if GB needed him. Then TT goes and drafts a great QB prospect in Brohm to backup Rodgers.

So then the controversy creating media says this must be a message to both Rodgers and Favre. TT couldn't just be drafting a good QB to be a backup! Of course this is GB media and fans who have been spoiled by many years of having the same QB and not really needing a good backup.

Look, Favre retired. Whether or not he might be able to come back if Rodgers goes down is a moot point. Any good GM would not risk having the backup QB be a retired player who isn't practicing, staying in game shape, up to date with the offense and doesn't even know many of the players. It may be a great story, but it would be clinging the to past instead of looking to the future of this team. Those who cry about TT pushing Favre away are more Favre fans than Packer fans. Favre was a great player, who could still get it done on the field. He decided to retire, he decided to walk away from the team that almost made it to the Super Bowl. No one should blame the team for moving on without him.

Rodgers is not Favre. He will get injured and not be available some weeks -- just like almost every other starting QB in the NFL. We need to have a solid #2 that is ready to step in when called upon. Ideally that #2 has NFL experience, but in the case of the youngest team in the NFL, that #2 will be rookie with great potential. I don't think this will change Rodger's approach to the game. Aaron will work hard to be the best player he can and to do what he can to help the team win. Hopefully Brohm will develop quickly so he's ready to come in should Rodgers go down.

These are good moves by a GM in a tough situation. Look at Denver, look at Miami. Do you really want GB to fall like them after our HOF QB retires?

GO PACK GO!!!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The thing is, we had 3 of them. I'm not TT, but I'm guessing he saw him sitting there when he should have been a 1st round pick and couldn't pass him up. It's a total win/win scenario. If Rodgers stays healthy, we trade him for a 1st later on. If Rodgers goes down, we have Brohm. Brohm lasting that deep into the 2nd round was a fluke.

ElleBlue

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Profizzle99 said:

Agreed. Very simple plan. Why are some people making this so complicated?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Great pick. If Rodgers doesn't work out or is injured all the time, then we have a solid QB.

Though I feel bad for Brohm, if he would have come out last year, he would have been a top 10 draft pick, now he fell all the way to the second round when Petrino left. Ouch. That cost him millions.

In the long run, he will probably be a better football player because of that hardship.

ElleBlue

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2003 HS Football Cover:

2007 College Football Cover:

Deadliest in College Football ESPN Cover

Thanks,
I was wondering what this Brohm dude looked like. I watched most of the draft, but I was in and out of the house doing work outside.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Zombieslayer said:
Profizzle99 said:

Agreed. Very simple plan. Why are some people making this so complicated?

Because humans like to do that.

Our lives were intended to be simple. We made them complex, as we make everything that's intended to be simple complex.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Profizzle99 said:

I agree with you 100%. If Rodgers struggles and the Packers miss the playoffs then GB will have an open QB competition in 2009 training camp. If Rodgers plays well and the Packers make the playoffs then the Packers have a starter plus another young guy to develop to possibly be their Matt Schaub so to speak.

I do think the Packers record and Rodgers production will go hand in hand this year.

Members online

Latest posts