Brian Brohm from Scouts.inc

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaworski, Young, and Kiper all agreed before we took him, that Brohm was the only QB that if in a WCO was ready to start in the NFL. The key was that he needed to be in a WCO.

And to say that his program is not as near a good as offense as Cal is as biased as one can be. Lousville this year, had a popor line yet Brohm was still effective. However, when Patrino was there (prior to this year) they had one of the best offenses in the entire country.

Cal, your info has been pretty factual for the most part. However, your blind belief in Aaron is right along the lines of those that had the same blindness about favre. However, favrers had 15 yrs of proof to back up their beliefs.

Brohm also has a family history similar to Favre. his dad coached him. His brother coached him. He has been molded as a Louisville QB since his conception. He has the ability ot be as good or better than Rodgers. Weill he? who knows, but if he does then he will start.

I am excited becasue I feel we now have two capable starters. That bodes well for the Packers.

And by the way, Aaron is still the second best QB on the packers. Favre has yet to make it official..... :wink:

It truly is not a blind Aaron vs Brohm bias. It's faith in Jeff Tedford's Cal offense than the Lousville offense. So if there's any bias here..it's CAL vs Lousville. I believe the quality of football played at CAL was better than at Louisville. That is a college bias for sure.

I've stated over and over that I LIKE Brian Brohm..but saying he is more NFL ready than Aaron is not accurate. We don't all have to agree on this. We can agree to disagree on this one.

[I don't want to even get into Jaworski, and Kiper..that is a conversation in itself. I prefer the NFL network's experts over Jaworski and Kiper.]

Like I said. I thinking having Rodgers and Brohm in the fold with either Nall or Tim Rattay as a vet backup puts the Packers in good shape.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont believe anyone said he was more ready. I do believe that Brohm is more ready as a rookie than Rodgers was. Rodgers was not ready at all. Matter of fact, I wan't comfortable with his readiness til this las year.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BryanAschenbrenner said:
(And a post that said "Rodgers doesn't have the mannerism's of manning is stating the obvious and shows ignorance to the actual point of just stating robotic QBs have NFL success..not that Rodgers is the 2nd coming of Manning..nor is Brohm...to have to still state that again and again is just funny).

When you tried to counter my statement of "Brohm having Manning Mannerisms" you implied that it was Rodgers had Manning mannerisms as well.

"Umm. THIS is a stretch...

And the QB that was labeled mechanical and close to Manning was actually Aaron Rodgers."

I wasn't talking about being robotic anyway, I was talking about style, so why did you originally go against what I said if you were just going to say that they don't look the same later?

I was talking about robotics that's it. Manning, Rodgers and Brohm are labled robotic and mechancial qbs and people criticized them for it coming out of the draft.

As far as you wanting to compare mannerisms to Brohm..and Manning that's fine. Wasn't talking about that. I was stating the robotic thing inregards to Manning and Rodgers. That's why I put the quote above..

I guess the thing that got confusing for me was myself saying:

Brohm has Manning Mannerisms"

and then the way you stated "

"that's a stretch.....rodgers was more compared to Manning"

So it gave me the impression you were saying Rodgers himself had mannerisms closer to Manning.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont believe anyone said he was more ready. I do believe that Brohm is more ready as a rookie than Rodgers was. Rodgers was not ready at all. Matter of fact, I wan't comfortable with his readiness til this las year.

Yea, that's what I meant as well, Trip.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How was the Louisville offense inferior to the offense Rodgers ran?

Louisville is one of the top ranked team overall and has one of the top offenses. Brohm has loads of experience in a pro-like system and doesn't come from a system that pumps up your stats like the Tedford system, no Tedford QBs have succeeded yet.

Trent Dilfer - Average
Akili Smith - Huge bust
Kyle Boller - Bust
David Carr - Huge bust
Joey Harrington - Huge bust
Aaron Rodger - ??

How can you compare one of the top QBs in this draft, a guy that probably would have been a top 15 - 20 pick last year to Craig Nall or Longshore?

He has already done much more in college than those two combined.

He is a big, strong and smart QB that doesn't make many mistakes. Gets the ball out there and if you watch tape, you will see he makes NFL passes, he sees open receivers before the play develops and makes the pass, not many QBs in college do that consistently. He's a prototypical WCO QB and fits right into our system. He's also a big pocket passer, an old school passer that doesn't dance around, the kind of QBs I like. Also he's smart, scored a 32 on the wonderlic and has very good bloodlines.
I think he will push Rodgers next year.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:

That's the point you guys.
Brian Brohm hasn't even stepped on field yet and you guys are saying he was more NFL ready than Aaron as a rookie?

Why don't we wait and see how he does in the preseason and at minicamp to make such a determination.

I'm saying, that just judging by Brohm's "pro" system doesn't mean it makes him more ready.

We'll just wait and see. I just think those statements are highly presumptuous.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
BryanAschenbrenner said:
trippster said:
I I do believe that Brohm is more ready as a rookie than Rodgers was.

Brian Brohm hasn't even stepped on field yet and you guys are saying he was more NFL ready than Aaron as a rookie?

Why don't we wait and see how he does in the preseason and at minicamp to make such a determination.

I'm saying, that just judging by Brohm's "pro" system doesn't mean it makes him more ready.

Read it again Cal..

They are comparing Rodgers as a rookie, and Brohm as a rookie..

They think Brohm is more ready for the NFL

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How was the Louisville offense inferior to the offense Rodgers ran?

Louisville is one of the top ranked team overall and has one of the top offenses. Brohm has loads of experience in a pro-like system and doesn't come from a system that pumps up your stats like the Tedford system, no Tedford QBs have succeeded yet.

Trent Dilfer - Average
Akili Smith - Huge bust
Kyle Boller - Bust
David Carr - Huge bust
Joey Harrington - Huge bust
Aaron Rodger - ??

How can you compare one of the top QBs in this draft, a guy that probably would have been a top 15 - 20 pick last year to Craig Nall or Longshore?

He has already done much more in college than those two combined.

He is a big, strong and smart QB that doesn't make many mistakes. Gets the ball out there and if you watch tape, you will see he makes NFL passes, he sees open receivers before the play develops and makes the pass, not many QBs in college do that consistently. He's a prototypical WCO QB and fits right into our system. He's also a big pocket passer, an old school passer that doesn't dance around, the kind of QBs I like. Also he's smart, scored a 32 on the wonderlic and has very good bloodlines.
I think he will push Rodgers next year.

For the 10,000th time(Bertram..please use search function..I've discussed this for years about Tedford), I will answer this... but I don't want to get off topic of Brian Brohm and turn this into a Tedford discusson. Please PM me if you want to talk about this off this thread so we don't hijack it.

How many college coaches even PUT QBs in the NFL as much as Tedford has?

USC? Besides Carson Palmer..you think Matt Lienart and John David Booty are going to be anything special?
Florida when Steve Spurrier was there? Rex Grossman? Danny Wuerfel? How many of his QBs made it in the NFL?

Tedford's offense ranks as one of the best in college since he took over CAL. He's the only coach that beat USC in their 3 year title run from 03-05. Did Louisville beat USC? Even now?

So touting the failures of the QBs from Tedford's program is not accurate considering VERY FEW big time college coach's QB's ever make it in the NFL. NFL success is not measured by the program, but by the individual player.

SO going back on topic..since the measure of success is on the acumen and ability of the individual player...Brian Brohm has a shot to be good because of his ability. NOT because of the "pro" style offense he came out of in Louisville. CAL's offense is just as explosive, if not more and incorporates WCO base formations and philosophy. That is a fact.

And based on sheer acumen and ability, I don't agree that Brohm is more ready to play in the NFL in his rookie year than Rodgers was when he was a rookie.

I would say they were on par.(SEE! You guys thought I'd say Rodgers was better in his rookie year...I'm not like the Favre apologists).

Again..Brohm has not even set foot on a Packers field and to declare
him more NFL ready w/out seeing him play in an NFL setting is highly
presumptuous and we can all just SEE what happens..

And in closing again...I BELIEVE that Rodgers, Brohm, and a Tim Rattay or Nall will be a great QB forumla for success for the packers.

p.s. And regarding the ability of them coming into the league..
You tout Brohm's ability to anticipate the route and throw accurately to his receiver. I've SEEN Brohm play. He IS good..I give him that.
I ALSO saw Aaron Rodgers BEAT USC when teams like Lousiville could not... I've also seen Aaron Rodgers throw 23 straight completions against USC and he threw the ball right at the off shoulder of the receiver where the defensive back couldn't get it. I saw him do that time and time again.

He had a career 64% completion percentage. So just wanted to add that when you mention Brian Brohm's accuracy and who was ready to get to the NFL. Aaron had a stronger arm than Brohm coming out of CAL and was also more atheltic. Aaron can throw 50 yards w/touch and power and he did that coming out of college. That's my 2 cents.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:
BryanAschenbrenner said:
trippster said:

Read it again Cal..

READ IT AGAIN longtimefan.

I was ANSWERING it regarding both of them as a rookie and I'm saying
it's presumptuous to think he's more ready than Aaron was AS A ROOKIE when you haven't seem Brian Brohm PLAY as a rookie.

You guys can only conclude that because you saw Aaron play as a rookie.
you have NOT seen Brohm play yet as a rookie so you won't really see if he's ready or not until this summer and beyond.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Cal2GreenBay said:
BryanAschenbrenner said:
trippster said:

Read it again Cal..

READ IT AGAIN Onetime fan.

I was ANSWERING regarding both of them as a rookie and I'm saying
it's presumptuous to think he's more ready than Aaron was when you haven't seem him play.

you have NOT seen Brohm play yet as a rookie so you won't really see if he's ready or not until this summer and beyond.

I honestly think you are not understanding it?

They think the tools Brohm has NOW is better then the tools AR had on April 23rd of 2005..So what if they said that...What matters is how both perform now that their will be solid competition in camp..AR has AHUGE edge, but doesn't mean he can not lose the spot.

Now If they said Brohm is more nfl ready than Rodger sis NOW, then they are full of it, but that isn't the way I am reading their statements.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:
longtimefan said:
Cal2GreenBay said:
BryanAschenbrenner said:
trippster said:

Read it again Cal..

READ IT AGAIN Onetime fan.

I was ANSWERING regarding both of them as a rookie and I'm saying
it's presumptuous to think he's more ready than Aaron was when you haven't seem him play.

Onetimefan? Ok Cal2Rodgers ;)

I honestly think you are not understanding it?

They think the tools Brohm has NOW is better then the tools AR had on April 23rd of 2005..So what if they said that...What matters is how both perform now that their will be solid competition in camp..AR has AHUGE edge, but doesn't mean he can not lose the spot.

Now If they said Brohm is more nfl ready than Rodger sis NOW, then they are full of it, but that isn't the way I am reading their statements.

Actually the name was a typo..not meant to be a slight =)

I AM referring to what they are saying.
And I have disagreed that Rodgers was less ready for the NFL than Brohm.

People have stated Brohm's program, his accuracy and his pedigree to say he's NFL ready.

I touted Aaron's program, his accuracy(against USC)..and his PRO DAY performance to show that Aaron was just as ready as Brohm was coming into the NFL as a rookie.

And I was going one step FORWARD by saying...you guys can only conclude that Aaron was less ready as a rookie than Brian was
because you saw how Aaron PLAYED as a rookie.
We have NOT seen Brian Brohm play as a rookie...we only have his file.
And file for file AS ROOKIES..I disagree that Brohm is more ready than Aaron was as a ROOKIE.

Of COURSE I know they aren't saying Brohm as a rookie is more ready than Aaron is now in his 4th year. That's again stating the obvious.

You guys need to read my point more carefully. I WAS referring to both of them as rookies and I disagree w/Brohm being more NFL ready.. I've said it 4 times in this post. I AM referring to them as ROOKIES and NEITHER had an edge on the other coming into the NFL.

The quality of competition, the offense both were trained in, their arm strength, their accuracy, and their QB acumen...I do NOT agree that Brohm was more NFL ready than Aaron was when AARON was a ROOKIE.

We can agree to disagree on that one.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It is their opinion, so they can't be wrong with THEIR opinion..

At least in this case they can't...

As long as they give both the same chances to prove what they have or don't have is all that I care about.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is their opinion, so they can't be wrong with THEIR opinion..

At least in this case they can't...

As long as they give both the same chances to prove what they have or don't have is all that I care about.

Exactly..so let's see how Brohm plays as a rookie and we'll see if their opinions WERE right.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
his masterpeice to the canvas? Aren't YOU being presumptious??

aaron has yet to play a full game in the NFL. Same as Brohm.
Yet, you have already annointed him a better fit this year than Favre should he have come back.

I hope you are right. I hope Aaron is every bit as perfect as you insinuate. If not, or if he gets hurt for the third time..... I am glad we have Brohm.

The experts (not us) think that Brohm, this year, could step in if needed. I like that and that is what I am excited about. That the back up is capable.

That being said, I have always liked Nall too. He always played well when he got in the games...

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brohm is NOT better than rodgers right now. For one the offense he ran was not a WCO it was a very open passing attack, and he also had the tendency to throw some picks and force throws (reminds me of favre that way). He has great skills as a leader though and can make all the throws, so he will be good for us in a couple of years. A-Rod will get his chance I have no doubt there.

But drafting Mat Flyn I can't help but wonder if Nall is Nixed.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has great skills as a leader ...

I heard he was kind of a quiet guy. I don't know what that says for leadership skills but a link on this question would be cool. If anyone finds one.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Veretax said:

I heard he was kind of a quiet guy. I don't know what that says for leadership skills but a link on this question would be cool. If anyone finds one.

That is an excellent point. Ron Wolf said the thing that caught him about Brett first was how he commanded the huddle and got players to work together on the same page.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:

Could be more vocal on the field, but he has total command of the huddle. He hates "special treatment" that most quarterbacks require and prefers to be considered "one of the guys."..

no link. if i supplied one it would just take you to zombie kid.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record, I do think it is disturbing for anyone to think Brohm is more NFL ready than Rodgers. The guy doesn't even know where he is sleeping next week. Best case scenario Rodgers is a stud, worst case we have a Majic Man situation. I like those options.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackOne said:
Veretax said:

Could be more vocal on the field, but he has total command of the huddle. He hates "special treatment" that most quarterbacks require and prefers to be considered "one of the guys."..

no link. if i supplied one it would just take you to zombie kid.

I love guys who hate special treatment.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some stats for those that care. I don't know what years Rodgers played at cal but would be happy to dig those up for comparison later.

Let's look at some stats on their Offense:

in 2005, UL ranked the following Offensive Categories:

Rushing Offense: 30 188.50 Yards Per game
Passing Offense: 13 293.58 Yards Per Game(Lead conference)
Total Offense: 9 482.008 (Lead conference)
Scoring Offense: 3 43.2 Pts Per game (Lead conference)
Pass Efficiency: 3rd 159.85 Rating (Lead Conference)

Brohm himself was 2nd in Passing Efficiency 166.73 (first in Conference)
17th in Total Offense 287.40 Yards Per Game (First in Conference)

In 2006:
Rushing Offense: 12 185.31 Yards Per Game (2nd in Conference)
Passing Offense: 7th 290.00 (Lead Conference)
Total Offense: 2nd 475.31 Yards Per Game (Lead Conference)
Scoring Offense: 4th 37.77 Pts Per Game (2nd In Conference)
Pass Efficiency: 5th 161.53 (Lead Conference)

Brohm in Passing Efficiency was 9th 159.08
Total Offense was also 9th with 281.27

In 2007L

UL was ranked:
64th In Rushing Offense: 146.08 Yards Per Game
Passing Offense: 4th 341.92 Yards Per game (Lead Conference)
Total Offense: 6th 488.00 Yards Per Game (Lead conference)
Scoring Offense: 18th 35.17 Points Per game
Pass Efficiency: 9th 149.05

Brohm in Passing efficiency was 8th, 152.43
5th in Total offense 331.50 Yards Per Game and lead his conference in both categories.)

OKay now to just give you an idea of who else was in those rankings:

2006 Total Offense:
1. Colt Brennan, Hawaii JR (drafted in 08 6th rd by Skins)
2. Chase Holbrook, N. Mex State SO
3. Graham Harrel, Tx Tech SO
4. John Beck, BYU SR (drafted i 07 in 2nd or 3rd by Miami)
5. Chase Daniel, Mizzou SO
6. Jordan Palmer, UTEP SR (Drafed in 07 late rd by skins)
7. Curtis Paiunter, Purdue SO
8. Kevin Kolb, Houston SR (drafted in 07 in 2nd Round by eagles)
9. Briahn Brohm, Louisivlle JR
10. Shawn Bell, Baylor SR

(Note 11 was Brady Queen, 12 was Andre Woodson, and 14 was John David Boothy, 15 JaMarcus Russel)

2006 Passing Efficiency:
1. Rudy Carpenter, Az St FR
2. Brian Brohm, Louisville SO
3. Vince Young, Texas JR (I believe he was drafted this year by the titans)
4. Troy Smith, OSU, SR (Drafted in 07 by Ravens)
5. Drew Olson UCLA SR
6. Phil Horvath, N. Illinois JR
7. Brady Quinn, Notre dame JR (Drafted in 07 draft by cleveland)
8. Matt Leinart, USC SR (Drafted in 07 or 06 draft y AZ)
9. Colt Brennan Hawaii, JR
10. Drew Stanton Mi. ST (Drafted by Detroit in 07 or 06)

2005 Total Offense
1. Colt Brennan, Hawaii SO
2. Cody Hodges, Tx Tech SR
3. Brett Basanez, Northwestern SR
4. Brian Johnson, Utah SO
5. Brady Quinn, Notre Dame JR
6. Vince Young, Texas JR
7. John Beck, BYU JR
8. Drew Stanton, MSU JR
9. Brad Smith, Mizzou SR
10. Jay Cutler Vanderbilt SR (Drafted by the Broncos)

(other notables Matt Leinart 12th, Kevin Kolb 15, ordan Palmer 16, Brohm was 17, Troy Smith was 23 )

2005 Passing efficency
1. Rudy Carpenter, Az St FR
2. Brian Brohm Lousiville SO
3. Vince Young, Texas JR
4. Troy Smith, OSU SR
5. Drew Olson, UCLA Sr
6. Phil Horvath, N. Illinois JR
7. Brady Quinn, Notre Dame JR
8. Matt Leinart, USC SR
9. Colt Brennan, Hawaii SO
10. Drew Stanton, MSU JR

(Only other notable is Bruce Gradkowski Toledo, sr who is with Tampa now)

2007 Passing Efficnecy
1. Sam Bradford, OK FR (this guy might be good)
2. Tim Tebow, Fla SO
3. Dennis Dixon, Oregon SR (was drafted this year not sure the round)
4. Paul Smith Tulsa SR
5. Colt Brennan, Hawaii SR
6. Graham Harrel, Tx Tech JR
7. Taylor Tharp, BSU SR
8. Brian Brohm, Lousiville Sr
9. Patrick White, West Virginia JR
10. Colin Kaepernick, NEvada FR

(Other ntoables, Andrew Woodson, KY 20 John David Booty, USC 28, Matt Ryan, BC 61, Chad Henne, Michigan, 53 all taken in the draft this year)

2007 Total Offense
1. Graham Harrel, Tx, Tech JR
2. Paul Smith, Tulsa SR
3. Colt Brennan, Hawaii
4. Dan LeFevour, Cen. Mich SO
5. Brian Brohm, Lousiville SR
6. Chase Clement, Rice JR
7. Chase Daniel, Mizzou JR
8. Chase Holbrook, N. Mex St JR
9. Matt Ryan, BC SR
10. Tim Tebow, FL SO

Other notables, KEven O'Connel, San Diego St SR 24, Dennis Dixon 31, andrew woodson KY SR 32, etc.)

So Brohm is clearly a capable pro prospect. You don't know how guys will do till they are under center though I mean. Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, need I say more?

Members online

Latest posts