Brian Brohm from Scouts.inc

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet that even IF Rodgers has a bad string of games, unless he's hurt, he will be our starting QB in week 17.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brohm is NOT better than rodgers right now. For one the offense he ran was not a WCO it was a very open passing attack, and he also had the tendency to throw some picks and force throws (reminds me of favre that way). He has great skills as a leader though and can make all the throws, so he will be good for us in a couple of years. A-Rod will get his chance I have no doubt there.

But drafting Mat Flyn I can't help but wonder if Nall is Nixed.

Who is arguing that Brohm is better right NOW?

I believe there was just a flurry of posts about being NFL ready coming out of college, but not at the moment given Rodgers' 3 years in the system. Did I miss a post somewhere?

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:
Brohm is NOT better than rodgers right now. For one the offense he ran was not a WCO it was a very open passing attack, and he also had the tendency to throw some picks and force throws (reminds me of favre that way). He has great skills as a leader though and can make all the throws, so he will be good for us in a couple of years. A-Rod will get his chance I have no doubt there.

But drafting Mat Flyn I can't help but wonder if Nall is Nixed.

Who is arguing that Brohm is better right NOW?

I believe there was just a flurry of posts about being NFL ready coming out of college, but not at the moment given Rodgers' 3 years in the system. Did I miss a post somewhere?

Okay the thread had me a bit confused. If noone is saying that then okay. I'll take A-Rod with 3 years in the system so to speak over Brohm right now. If A-rod doesn't work out hopefully Brohm, Flynn or some other will be ready to play.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, but I want to see what you guys think about this. I have already delved into this idea a little bit, but have something to add to it. This is not a slight on Rodgers, because I like him and hope he does well.

Anyway, when I watch clips of Brohm, I see a style that reminds me a whole lot of Peyton Manning's (this is the part I have stated already). Then I've read about how well he reads defenses, which just reminds me even more of one the traits Peyton has that people are always raving about.
Going even further, There is the judgement of Brohm being accurate, but not having the strongest of arms, which if I remember correctly was a knock on Peyton coming out of college as well (this is obviously not a problem for him in the NFL). Finally, there is the common theme of having the family bloodlines of good football players in both families. This could be more of a coincidence than anything else however (though it is reassuring.
I am not a Peyton Manning fan, but do realize the quality of player he is and can honestly say these likenesses intrigue me. Does anyone else see what I am seeing?

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, but I want to see what you guys think about this. I have already delved into this idea a little bit, but have something to add to it. This is not a slight on Rodgers, because I like him and hope he does well.

Anyway, when I watch clips of Brohm, I see a style that reminds me a whole lot of Peyton Manning's (this is the part I have stated already). Then I've read about how well he reads defenses, which just reminds me even more of one the traits Peyton has that people are always raving about.
Going even further, There is the judgement of Brohm being accurate, but not having the strongest of arms, which if I remember correctly was a knock on Peyton coming out of college as well (this is obviously not a problem for him in the NFL).
Finally, there is the common theme of having the family bloodlines of good football players in both families. This could be more of a coincidence than anything else however (though it is reassuring.
I am not a Peyton Manning fan, but do realize the quality of player he is and can honestly say these likenesses intrigue me. Does anyone else see what I am seeing?

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record, I do think it is disturbing for anyone to think Brohm is more NFL ready than Rodgers. The guy doesn't even know where he is sleeping next week. Best case scenario Rodgers is a stud, worst case we have a Majic Man situation. I like those options.

I don't think anyone thinks that at this moment, Brohm is more ready than Rodgers. I for one am excited about what Rodgers can do. Today on tv they were saying that Kitna was the best QB in the division. I could only think "wait til rodgers has played a few games"

What was being said is that I feel that Brohm, as a rookie today, is more prepared to play and succeed in the NFL than Rodgers was when he was a rookie.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
I'm willing to bet that even IF Rodgers has a bad string of games, unless he's hurt, he will be our starting QB in week 17.

K..what are we betting...?

Um. Maybe I used my pronouns incorrectly, but I think you and I agree on this one Cal. He = Aaron.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if this guy is thinking of jumping cus we got Brohm

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was being said is that I feel that Brohm, as a rookie today, is more prepared to play and succeed in the NFL than Rodgers was when he was a rookie.

I totally disagree w/this part. Aaron and Brohm were equal coming into the league. I don't agree that Brian Brohm was more ready.

POINT 1
Their ability level, acumen, college programs, etc were on par with each other as they were both drafted. If we judge it based soley on that...they are on PAR w/each other.

Somehow during the posts people started to think the comparison
was Aaron NOW in year 3 vs Brohm in his rookie year. That is a moot point..and isn't even worth discussing..of course Aaron's more prepared.

As far as when they both came in..they were equal coming in.

POINT 2
the ONLY reason you guys think Brohm's MORE prepared than Aaron was coming out of college is because you're judging it by how Aaron played in his rookie campaign.

So I'm saying, WAIT till we see how Brohm does this rookie season and then we can see who was more prepared.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finally, there is the common theme of having the family bloodlines of good football players in both families. This could be more of a coincidence than anything else however (though it is reassuring.

Bryan,

Family bloodlines don't really amount to much in the NFL. Peyton Manning and Eli Manning are the exception. Guys like Brian Griese are more the rule...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I totally disagree w/this part. Aaron and Brohm were equal coming into the league. I don't agree that Brian Brohm was more ready.
Okay you disagree, it is is an opinion..

POINT 1
Their ability level, acumen, college programs, etc were on par with each other as they were both drafted. If we judge it based soley on that...they are on PAR w/each other.

Why don't you post their numbers for 2 seasons, and their combine numbers..

POINT 2
the ONLY reason you guys think Brohm's MORE prepared than Aaron was coming out of college is because you're judging it by how Aaron played in his rookie campaign.
You can not prove that at all, unless someone specifically says it outright..The posts I seen on this thread, I do not get that impression

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:

POINT 1

POINT 2
You can not prove that at all, unless someone specifically says it outright..The posts I seen on this thread, I do not get that impression

Someone else had Brohm's junior/senior year stats.

Here's Aarons stats from his two years as starter at CAL.
The biggest standout's in Aaron's stats are his QB rating, and Completion
percentage. In his Junior year..he was over 65% and a QB rating of almost 155.

College career statistics
Passing[6]
Year Team Comp-Att Comp% Yards TD INT Long QB Rtg
2003 Cal 215-349 61.6 2903 19 5 79 146.58
2004 Cal 209-316 66.1 2566 24 8 80 154.35
Totals 424-665 63.8 5469 43 13 80 150.27

Rushing
Year Team Carries Yards Average Long TDs
2003 Cal 86 210 2.4 24 5
2004 Cal 74 126 1.7 26 3
Totals 160 336 2.10 26 8

Aaron ran a 4.75-4.8 in the NFL combine 40 yard dash.
He scored a 35 on the Wonderlic Test.

Aaron did not throw at the combine
but at his pro day, he threw 90 passes and only had 2 drops by the receiver. He threw 50 yard passes w/ease..and also threw passes to Jerry Rice. Rice..said Aaron's 50 yard passes looked "effortless". McCarthy said Aaron has an excellent arm and the most polished QB he'd seen in the draft. (Before you guys say.."but the 49ers" didn't draft him and took Alex Smith..know again..McCarthy wanted Rodgers...NOLAN wanted Smith and overrulled McCarthy).

Brian Brohm ran a 4.85-4.9 in the 40 yard dash.
Brohm scored a 32 on the Wonderlic Test.

He was rated the 3rd-4th best arm in the draft and threw at the combine.

They weren't that far away from each other...
What Brohm has advantages on Aaron in pedigree and a longer
body of work in college was offset by Aaron rated w/the strongest arm in his draft and his better athleticism than Brohm. If you go to packers.com
and listen to audio from Mike McCarthy..he says Brohm does everything "good"..but didn't say great. He didn't emphasize his arm or athleticism..just said he did everything "good".

They are both well prepared coming into their drafts fellas.
Neither was better than the other.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BryanAschenbrenner said:

Bryan,

Family bloodlines don't really amount to much in the NFL. Peyton Manning and Eli Manning are the exception. Guys like Brian Griese are more the rule...

I don't see the big deal about the Mannings. Peyton's a Hall of Fame QB. Eli is a decent QB on an excellent team. Archie really wasn't all that good.

It was like Walter and Eddie Payton. Walter is one of the best ever. Eddie, well, he was a serviceable RS.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Cal2GreenBay said:

POINT 1

POINT 2

Someone else had Brohm's junior/senior year stats.

Here's Aarons stats from his two years as starter at CAL.
The biggest standout's in Aaron's stats are his QB rating, and Completion
percentage. In his Junior year..he was over 65% and a QB rating of almost 155.

College career statistics
Passing[6]
Year Team Comp-Att Comp% Yards TD INT Long QB Rtg
2003 Cal 215-349 61.6 2903 19 5 79 146.58
2004 Cal 209-316 66.1 2566 24 8 80 154.35
Totals 424-665 63.8 5469 43 13 80 150.27

Rushing
Year Team Carries Yards Average Long TDs
2003 Cal 86 210 2.4 24 5
2004 Cal 74 126 1.7 26 3
Totals 160 336 2.10 26 8

Aaron ran a 4.75-4.8 in the NFL combine 40 yard dash.
He scored a 35 on the Wonderlic Test.

Aaron did not throw at the combine
but at his pro day, he threw 90 passes and only had 2 drops by the receiver. He threw 50 yard passes w/ease..and also threw passes to Jerry Rice. Rice..said Aaron's 50 yard passes looked "effortless". McCarthy said Aaron has an excellent arm and the most polished QB he'd seen in the draft. (Before you guys say.."but the 49ers" didn't draft him and took Alex Smith..know again..McCarthy wanted Rodgers...NOLAN wanted Smith and overrulled McCarthy).

Brian Brohm ran a 4.85-4.9 in the 40 yard dash.
Brohm scored a 32 on the Wonderlic Test.

He was rated the 3rd-4th best arm in the draft and threw at the combine.

They weren't that far away from each other...
What Brohm has advantages on Aaron in pedigree and a longer
body of work in college was offset by Aaron rated w/the strongest arm in his draft and his better athleticism than Brohm. If you go to packers.com
and listen to audio from Mike McCarthy..he says Brohm does everything "good"..but didn't say great. He didn't emphasize his arm or athleticism..just said he did everything "good".

They are both well prepared coming into their drafts fellas.
Neither was better than the other.

Thanks for those stats, it was I that posted Brohms numbers. And they line up where I expected, these two guys can both be good QBs, I'm thankful A-Rod is ready to roll this year that gives Brohm time to improve in areas he may be weak.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for those stats, it was I that posted Brohms numbers. And they line up where I expected, these two guys can both be good QBs, I'm thankful A-Rod is ready to roll this year that gives Brohm time to improve in areas he may be weak.

No prob Veretax. The numbers are comparable and Brohm
has more body of work statistically..but I don't think either was
more prepared than the other. Aaron had a stronger arm, athleticism going into the NFL than Brian.

They're were both good prospects but don't believe one was better than the other coming in.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nods I feel really good about our future once both have another season under their belt :D

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BryanAschenbrenner said:

Bryan,

Maybe thats why I said "This could be more of a coincidence than anything else however" ?

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackOne said:
Just for the record, I do think it is disturbing for anyone to think Brohm is more NFL ready than Rodgers. The guy doesn't even know where he is sleeping next week. Best case scenario Rodgers is a stud, worst case we have a Majic Man situation. I like those options.

I don't think anyone thinks that at this moment, Brohm is more ready than Rodgers. I for one am excited about what Rodgers can do. Today on tv they were saying that Kitna was the best QB in the division. I could only think "wait til rodgers has played a few games"

It is my opinion Cal.....simply my opinion just like you feel that they were equal. It become fact (either way) until we do see Brohm in the preseason.

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taking Brian Brohm, Good Move

Just think about it, this guy was meant to start not backup. I have a feeling that TT has no intention, knowing his tricks, to play Brian Brohm or have him to push A-Rod. I also have a feeling that he will not be on our team in two years. A-Rod is good and is the youngest QB in the NFL to be coached by a HOF player in Brett Favre. This move is not to send a message to Favre or A-Rod, it is to get more value by trading him in the future. We all know Rodgers is injury prone but we also know Brohm will do a worse job filling his spot than a veteran QB. I think TT is playing the cards to get more value than a late second round pick and has something pulled up his sleeve. Just remember we went from a 4-12 team, to a 8-8 team, to a team 1 play away from the superbowl. Now give some credit to Favre, but give more credit to Favres weapons that TT provided, Grant, Jennings, and Jones. TT is not a retard, he got us in this spot that we are now, just rember those C+ graded drafts, now look at those players. I am pumped for next year!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Taking Brian Brohm, Good Move

Just think about it, this guy was meant to start not backup. I have a feeling that TT has no intention, knowing his tricks, to play Brian Brohm or have him to push A-Rod. I also have a feeling that he will not be on our team in two years. A-Rod is good and is the youngest QB in the NFL to be coached by a HOF player in Brett Favre. This move is not to send a message to Favre or A-Rod, it is to get more value by trading him in the future. We all know Rodgers is injury prone but we also know Brohm will do a worse job filling his spot than a veteran QB. I think TT is playing the cards to get more value than a late second round pick and has something pulled up his sleeve. Just remember we went from a 4-12 team, to a 8-8 team, to a team 1 play away from the superbowl. Now give some credit to Favre, but give more credit to Favres weapons that TT provided, Grant, Jennings, and Jones. TT is not a retard, he got us in this spot that we are now, just rember those C+ graded drafts, now look at those players. I am pumped for next year!

I'm thinking the same thing. Brohm will show promise as Aaron's backup and we trade him in '10 for a 1st.

Smart move by TT.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Taking Brian Brohm, Good Move

Profizzle99 said:

I'm thinking the same thing. Brohm will show promise as Aaron's backup and we trade him in '10 for a 1st.

Smart move by TT.

All very intelligent posts! =)

Members online

Latest posts