Brian Brohm from Scouts.inc

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brohm is Craig Nall w/a slightly better arm.

Don't get all excited you guys...

...and the first salvo is fired.

Cal, you have been a great source of information (and optimism) about Aaron Rodgers, which I appreciate, so I'm asking you: Please don't become like one of those Favre-firsters who would get all sensitive when somebody said something positive about the backup QB. If Aaron is as good as you say he is (and I think there's a good chance of that), he will be fine and so will the Green Bay Packers.

Besides, your "Craig Nall with a slightly better arm" assessment isn't even accurate. Brohm is considered to be a good NFL prospect not because of his arm strength but because of his experience and decision-making--two things that Craig Nall was sorely lacking when he came into the league after having played at a small college.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:
BryanAschenbrenner said:
He has the mannerisms of Peyton Manning. Just saying.....

Umm. THIS is a stretch...

And the QB that was labeled mechanical and close to Manning was actually Aaron Rodgers.

Brohm is better than Rodgers.

*waits for Cal to erupt*

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BryanAschenbrenner said:

And the QB that was labeled mechanical and close to Manning was actually Aaron Rodgers.

Translation: If your name isn't Aaron Rodgers, you are no good. Yeah we get it Cal.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What Ted has done is build some depth to the quarterback position. I don't think there is a doubt the Brohm can play in the NFL. But I also said this when Aaron Rogers was drafted. Here is the thing, you can't expect Brohm to come in and start. He is probably two to three years away from being ready for that. Watch what happens in Atlanta with Matt Ryan. The pro game is too complicated for a QB to come in and make a difference. Young QB's lose confidence and can be destroyed when they play before they're ready. That's probably an over statement, but I think if you give a kid time to learn the game and fix up mechanics, learn to read defenses, they have a much better chance to be successful.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude..you guys should take what I say in stride.
I'm not like the Favre apologists and thinks Aaron's it and everyone else sucks. Not what I said.

When Aaron sucks, I WILL BE THE FIRST to admit it.

I'm going by what the scouts said in rating Brohm and Rodgers..

The scouts rated Rodgers over the draft class of this year and ranked
him on par w/Matt Ryan and Flacco, Henne, AND Brohm were below him.

That's just a fact.

I just stated that he's Craig Nall w/a good arm because I was trying to offset all those who were considering Brohm the best QB prospect around..and getting ahead of themselves...

I LIKE Craig Nall. I think he runs the offense well.but his physical limitations offset his abilities. I LIKE Brian Brohm. I've SEEN him play...He's a lot like Nate Longshore..the current QB of the CAL bears. That's why I can relate to him. I LIKE Brian Brohm as a QB.
I am just not ready to anoint him the savior as everyone seems to do in this forum when someone new comes along.

If you read the scouting report..they say that Brohm is slow of foot
and is a pocket passer. He's got a slightly better than avg NFL arm.
That's a fact. So saying he's Craig Nall w/a good arm is not a stretch.

Everyone who's saying Brohm's so awesome were the one's who were also saying Ingle Martin was the FUTURE of the Packers. Where's INGLE NOW? I'm trying to offset that kind of thinking.

I ain't worried at all fellas. The best QB will be there in the end.

no NEED to erupt.

Thompson drafted Brohm because he was the best player on the board. That's it. He's drafting for depth. Brohm will be a great #2 or 3. If we get Tim Rattay as the qualified vet..then I think the Packers are in great shape at QB. We'll have the starter, the youth and the vet.

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live out here in Pac-10 land. Saying Brohm is like Longshore is like saying Matt Hasselbeck is like Rex Grossman. Longshore is nothing like Brohm. Longshore is a strong-arm QB who has made terrible decisions as a starter (finished with 11 picks in final 6 games). Brohm has a solid arm, but is a very good decision maker. Despite having a sieve for an OL and few helping pieces, he finished with 30 TDs and 12 INTs over almost 500 passes.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Cal,

Brohm just may take that starting QB spot from Rodgers within a year or two. The guy is Pro-ready. He will be a very good QB.

"the guy is PRO ready". Ummm..how many QB's out of college
were PRO ready???

Peyton Manning and Troy Aikman didn't even adjust in their first year.

So that's a BOLD statement...

IF you're toting that Brohm came from a pro-STYLE offense at Louisville..
that's what Rodgers came out of.

McCarthy's offense takes time to learn...

Let's just keep it more realistic before stating Brohm's PRO READY...

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:
BryanAschenbrenner said:

I'm guessing you weren't too excited with the Brohm pick, eh Cal? :D

Hehe..first lighthearted and funny post gopackgo =)

Actually I'm excited about Brohm. I'm just not OVERLY excited.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not like the Favre apologists and thinks Aaron's it and everyone else sucks. Not what I said.

That's just a fact.

I just stated that he's Craig Nall w/a good arm because I was trying to offset all those who were considering Brohm the best QB prospect around..and getting ahead of themselves...

I LIKE Craig Nall. I think he runs the offense well.but his physical limitations offset his abilities. I LIKE Brian Brohm. I've SEEN him play...He's a lot like Nate Longshore..the current QB of the CAL bears. That's why I can relate to him. I LIKE Brian Brohm as a QB.
I am just not ready to anoint him the savior as everyone seems to do in this forum when someone new comes along.

Everyone who's saying Brohm's so awesome were the one's who were also saying Ingle Martin was the FUTURE of the Packers. Where's INGLE NOW? I'm trying to offset that kind of thinking.

no NEED to erupt.

Thompson drafted Brohm because he was the best player on the board. That's it. He's drafting for depth. Brohm will be a great #2 or 3. If we get Tim Rattay as the qualified vet..then I think the Packers are in great shape at QB. We'll have the starter, the youth and the vet.

1. Did you keep track of all the people who supposedly said that Ingle Martin was the future of the Packers? I know that I never said that, and I remember others suggesting it here only as a joke.

2. I wonder how many NFL scouts would describe Brohm as "Craig Nall with a good arm"? My guess, and this is just a guess, is zero, and I suspect that they would laugh at the suggestion.

3. It's not a good sign that you claim you are "just trying to offset" those who think too highly of Brohm. What that means, as best I can tell, is that you are giving yourself a license to exaggerate for the sake of a larger truth. You don't need to do that.

4. I sure hope that Aaron has a better reaction to this pick than you do.

5. Last but not least, NOBODY IN THIS ENTIRE THREAD has suggested that Brohm is better than Rodgers. In fact, some people have gone out of their way to support Rodgers even though they like having Brohm. This fits the pattern we got from some of the Favre fanatics. It wasn't enough just for people to support Favre. They were always accusing fans of not supporting Favre ENOUGH. Like there was a higher standard of moral purity. We don't need this again, especially for a player who hasn't even started a game yet.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heh. It's funny because Favre is my favorite QB ever, and here I am defending Aaron Rodgers.

Unless Rodgers gets hurt, Brohm will be carrying a clipboard the entire season. And next. And next, until Brohm asks for a trade and hopefully we'll get a First for him.

We picked up Brohm simply because he was BPA. He should have been a mid-to-late First round pick by all the reports I read. Why do I like Aaron Rodgers better? Aaron Rodgers is mobile. Non-mobile QBs bother me, and yes, Favre was mobile. He'd just rather complete the pass and let that person have all the fun. Favre was perhaps the hardest QB I've ever seen to bring down. Aaron though is a better scrambler than Brett.

Nall is underrated and underappreciated. It's funny that any comparison to Nall is seen as an insult. Nall is a capable backup. He'll probably slip behind Brohm to third QB, and might decide to sign with someone else, but I'd prefer to see him on the Packers. he knows this offense. He doesn't throw INTs.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's just a fact.

no NEED to erupt.

-Craig Nall is bad. Bad. Comparing Brohm to him is an insult.

-Ingle Martin was a late round pick. Brohm is a first day.

-Brohm is more ready to run an NFL offense coming out of college than Rodgers was.

-People said Peyton Manning didn't have that great of an arm coming out of college.

Since when is being a pocket passer a negative?

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

That's just a fact.

no NEED to erupt.

1. Did you keep track of all the people who supposedly said that Ingle Martin was the future of the Packers? I know that I never said that, and I remember others suggesting it here only as a joke.

2. I wonder how many NFL scouts would describe Brohm as "Craig Nall with a good arm"? My guess, and this is just a guess, is zero, and I suspect that they would laugh at the suggestion.

3. It's not a good sign that you claim you are "just trying to offset" those who think too highly of Brohm. What that means, as best I can tell, is that you are giving yourself a license to exaggerate for the sake of a larger truth. You don't need to do that.

4. I sure hope that Aaron has a better reaction to this pick than you do.

5. Last but not least, NOBODY IN THIS ENTIRE THREAD has suggested that Brohm is better than Rodgers. In fact, some people have gone out of their way to support Rodgers even though they like having Brohm. This fits the pattern we got from some of the Favre fanatics. It wasn't enough just for people to support Favre. They were always accusing fans of not supporting Favre ENOUGH. Like there was a higher standard of moral purity. We don't need this again, especially for a player who hasn't even started a game yet.

AGAIN..I LIKE BRIAN BROHM....

YOu are taking what I say and OVERREACTING to it and taking my my comments as fuel in worry that this FAVRE apologist plague gets reignited in Rodgers form.

IT IS NOT THE CASE.

RELAX MAN.

If only the internet can express TONE...

What my comment sounds like in audio would totally be taken differently than how it seems to be taken when it's written.

OF COURSE BROHM is better than NALL...

Let me spell it out again.

BRIAN BROHM is a MUCH BETTER PROSPECT than NALL...

It was a JOKE and as he said..an exaggeration and a WRY one that obviously got taken very sensitively...

OKAY? Can we move on fellas?

LIke I stated in my previous thread.

Having Rodgers, Brohm and possibly a vet like Tim Rattay would put the packers in great shape..

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having Rodgers, Brohm and possibly a vet like Tim Rattay would put the packers in great shape..

Nah. Rodgers, Brohm, and Nall sound better. Like I said, I like Nall. He knows the O and he doesn't throw INTs. Nall is a decent backup, but I doubt he stays now that we have Brohm.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heh. It's funny because Favre is my favorite QB ever, and here I am defending Aaron Rodgers.

Unless Rodgers gets hurt, Brohm will be carrying a clipboard the entire season. And next. And next, until Brohm asks for a trade and hopefully we'll get a First for him.

We picked up Brohm simply because he was BPA. He should have been a mid-to-late First round pick by all the reports I read. Why do I like Aaron Rodgers better? Aaron Rodgers is mobile. Non-mobile QBs bother me, and yes, Favre was mobile. He'd just rather complete the pass and let that person have all the fun. Favre was perhaps the hardest QB I've ever seen to bring down. Aaron though is a better scrambler than Brett.

Nall is underrated and underappreciated. It's funny that any comparison to Nall is seen as an insult. Nall is a capable backup. He'll probably slip behind Brohm to third QB, and might decide to sign with someone else, but I'd prefer to see him on the Packers. he knows this offense. He doesn't throw INTs.

Nall isn't going to be on the team at any point of the offseason is what I would guess. He was more of a filler because Rodgers was dinged up, he knew the system decently, and most other options were already signed to other teams.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score

-Brohm is more ready to run an NFL offense coming out of college than Rodgers was.

-People said Peyton Manning didn't have that great of an arm coming out of college.

People called Manning robotic coming out of college. People called Rodgers robotic coming out of college. People call BROHM robotic coming out of college. So I SUPPORT the QB's that come in that mold. I like QBs that are of that mold. (And a post that said "Rodgers doesn't have the mannerism's of manning is stating the obvious and shows ignorance to the actual point of just stating robotic QBs have NFL success..not that Rodgers is the 2nd coming of Manning..nor is Brohm...to have to still state that again and again is just funny).

Saying Brohm was more ready to run an NFL offense than Rodgers was
is the stuff I'm talking about.

Brohm ran an inferior offense in Louisville than the Cal offense. That's the truth.

Take that one and swallow it any way you want.

NEVERTHELESS... Brohm is a GREAT prospect. I'm going to be real now and not joke around.

I LIKE BRIAN BROHM..

But saying that he's more pro ready than Rodgers was when he came out of college is as ignorant as those who thought Ingle Martin was the future.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record, I don't have anything against Nall. He just isn't starting QB material for the NFL, at least not yet. He's a #2 at best. That's not bad for a fifth round draft choice who played at a small school.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But saying that he's more pro ready than Rodgers was when he came out of college is as ignorant as those who thought Ingle Martin was the future.

People who said Ingle was our future were joking. We just liked his name. Ingle Martin IV. It doesn't get better than that.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(And a post that said "Rodgers doesn't have the mannerism's of manning is stating the obvious and shows ignorance to the actual point of just stating robotic QBs have NFL success..not that Rodgers is the 2nd coming of Manning..nor is Brohm...to have to still state that again and again is just funny).

When you tried to counter my statement of "Brohm having Manning Mannerisms" you implied that it was Rodgers had Manning mannerisms as well.

"Umm. THIS is a stretch...

And the QB that was labeled mechanical and close to Manning was actually Aaron Rodgers."

I wasn't talking about being robotic anyway, I was talking about style, so why did you originally go against what I said if you were just going to say that they don't look the same later?

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(And a post that said "Rodgers doesn't have the mannerism's of manning is stating the obvious and shows ignorance to the actual point of just stating robotic QBs have NFL success..not that Rodgers is the 2nd coming of Manning..nor is Brohm...to have to still state that again and again is just funny).

When you tried to counter my statement of "Brohm having Manning Mannerisms" you implied that it was Rodgers had Manning mannerisms as well.

"Umm. THIS is a stretch...

And the QB that was labeled mechanical and close to Manning was actually Aaron Rodgers."

I wasn't talking about being robotic anyway, I was talking about style, so why did you originally go against what I said if you were just going to say that they don't look the same later?

I was talking about robotics that's it. Manning, Rodgers and Brohm are labled robotic and mechancial qbs and people criticized them for it coming out of the draft.

As far as you wanting to compare mannerisms to Brohm..and Manning that's fine. Wasn't talking about that. I was stating the robotic thing inregards to Manning and Rodgers. That's why I put the quote above..

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Just for the record, I don't have anything against Nall. He just isn't starting QB material for the NFL, at least not yet. He's a #2 at best. That's not bad for a fifth round draft choice who played at a small school.

Oh, agreed. I wouldn't want Nall as our starting QB. But as a #2, he's serviceable and cheap.

Whenever you have an injury at your QB position, it's a bad thing, so you pray it doesn't happen. Nall is one of those guys who can step in and complete a game, and hold a lead if you have it. He's not going to win you games though, and you hope your #1 guy comes back the next week.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BryanAschenbrenner said:

People called Manning robotic coming out of college. People called Rodgers robotic coming out of college. People call BROHM robotic coming out of college. So I SUPPORT the QB's that come in that mold. I like QBs that are of that mold. (And a post that said "Rodgers doesn't have the mannerism's of manning is stating the obvious and shows ignorance to the actual point of just stating robotic QBs have NFL success..not that Rodgers is the 2nd coming of Manning..nor is Brohm...to have to still state that again and again is just funny).

Saying Brohm was more ready to run an NFL offense than Rodgers was
is the stuff I'm talking about.

Brohm ran an inferior offense in Louisville than the Cal offense. That's the truth.

Take that one and swallow it any way you want.

NEVERTHELESS... Brohm is a GREAT prospect. I'm going to be real now and not joke around.

I LIKE BRIAN BROHM..

Jaworski, Young, and Kiper all agreed before we took him, that Brohm was the only QB that if in a WCO was ready to start in the NFL. The key was that he needed to be in a WCO.

And to say that his program is not as near a good as offense as Cal is as biased as one can be. Lousville this year, had a popor line yet Brohm was still effective. However, when Patrino was there (prior to this year) they had one of the best offenses in the entire country.

Cal, your info has been pretty factual for the most part. However, your blind belief in Aaron is right along the lines of those that had the same blindness about favre. However, favrers had 15 yrs of proof to back up their beliefs.

Brohm also has a family history similar to Favre. his dad coached him. His brother coached him. He has been molded as a Louisville QB since his conception. He has the ability ot be as good or better than Rodgers. Weill he? who knows, but if he does then he will start.

I am excited becasue I feel we now have two capable starters. That bodes well for the Packers.

And by the way, Aaron is still the second best QB on the packers. Favre has yet to make it official..... :wink:

Members online

Latest posts