Brett Favre says stealing signals might cross ethical line

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsess...0d5d8024a8b2&template=with-video&confirm=true

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- As a former high school baseball star, Brett Favre knows it's not unheard of for a ballplayer to sneak a peek at the signals a catcher is sending to his pitcher.

But if the New England Patriots really were using a video camera to steal opposing defensive coaches' signals - perhaps even in their game against the Packers last year - Favre said they might have gone too far.
"Can it cross the line? I'm sure it can," Favre said. "It can give you a huge advantage."
NFL security officials confiscated a camera and tape from a Patriots employee on the sidelines during New England's 38-14 victory on Sunday. The league now is investigating whether the Patriots were spying on signals from the Jets' defensive coaches.

The Packers also had an incident with a Patriots employee shooting unauthorized video during New England's 35-0 victory at Lambeau Field last November. Packers officials simply asked him to stop.

But given the current controversy, last year's incident has taken on added significance.

Favre called the sign-stealing allegations a "serious issue," one that goes above and beyond the normal scope of gamesmanship in the NFL - or sign-stealing in baseball, for that matter - mostly because of the use of technology.

"It seems different," Favre said.

Packers cornerback Al Harris was more direct in questioning the Patriots' ethics.

"When you look back, it's scary," Harris said. "I don't want to say anything wrong towards their organization, because I think highly of their coaching staff and their personnel. But if that's the case, that's not right. I would consider it cheating. I honestly would."

And New York Giants defensive end Michael Strahan seemed to think the controversy could cloud the Patriots' recent success.

"It does make you wonder," Strahan said Wednesday, in a conference call with Wisconsin media members in advance of Sunday's Packers-Giants game. "You look at that situation and go, 'How much did it help, and if it did help, in what situations and what games did it help?' Because that team has won some big games. I'm not saying that stealing signals definitely did it, because they have extremely talented players. But obviously it didn't hurt if they were doing it."

Favre, who hurt his elbow during last year's Patriots-Packers game and didn't play in the second half, doesn't remember seeing anything out of the ordinary on the field.

But he does remember watching game film of the Patriots' 31-7 victory over the Minnesota Vikings a few weeks earlier.

"They just were flawless," Favre said.

Almost like they knew what was coming.

Does that make Favre wonder what was really going on?

"Now? Maybe," Favre said. "Before? No."

Packers coach Mike McCarthy punted on the issue, saying he found out about the Patriots staff member after last year's game and wasn't sure if the Packers reported it to the league.

"We don't play that way," McCarthy said. "I don't know if other people do. I know the situation going on in New England, it's a league issue."

But isn't McCarthy at least a little curious as to what really happened in that game?

"We didn't play very well in that football game," McCarthy said. "All the other things that potentially went on around it, I don't really have a comment on it because I don't know the specifics of it. And to me it's kind of irrelevant, because I'm not going to sit here and talk about a game that we got beat thoroughly in and blame it on something like that."

Of course, with the Packers preparing to play the Giants this Sunday, it's likely that the Green Bay coaching staff is trying to glean as much information as possible from running back Ryan Grant, who was traded from New York to Green Bay before the season started.

So where does gamesmanship turn into cheating?

"We're playing Chicago and I hear Brian Urlacher say something, I'm thinking, 'He's trying to trick me,"' Favre said. "And (that's) no different than offense, really. Sometimes we say 'over,' and it's not an over. You try to give dummy signals and things like that. And I think that's just good competitive nature."

Favre said it would be difficult for a quarterback to steal a defensive coach's signals, mostly because he wouldn't have time in the huddle.

"Not to mention, that would be so obvious," Favre said.

Favre pantomimed a blank stare at the sidelines, then grinned and said, "Cover-2!"

But if somebody told Favre what was coming, he certainly could use it to his advantage. In fact, he sometimes does just that to his teammates in training camp.

"In practice, I hear our guys - especially early in training camp - safeties (saying), "Cover-2, Cover-2,"' Favre said, with a grin. "And, you know, OK. But from that standpoint, you're going to take advantage where you can."

But only to a point.

"Bottom line is, you still have to produce," Favre said. "OK, blitz is coming - you still have to make a good throw, you still have to block, you still have to run the route right. But there's no doubt it gives you an advantage."

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
It definitely does in my opinion.

How is this not cheating, almost as bad as the NBA Ref's gambling, steroids, and things of that nature??

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't, or maybe shouldn't, the helment communication system eliminate this risk? (Unless the theft is electronic).

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Brett Favre says stealing signals might cross ethical li

Wouldn't, or maybe shouldn't, the helment communication system eliminate this risk? (Unless the theft is electronic).

The Bengals and lions have said their electronic communication went 'out mysteriously' at certain times when playing AT new england.

(im paraphrasing from NFL LIVE earlier)

Fine them, take their first 3 draft picks, and suspend Belicheck for 5 games.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
every team has cameras to take pictures of plays, legally

what i'm saying is they abused their priviledge...take away some of the equipment that is entitled to coaching staffs...headsets, qb helmet communicators, cameras, something to that effect

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
might cross ethical lines?
I think they are all trying to say it, without yelling "Hell yes they are cheaters!" I think they are trying to be diplomatic about it, until such time as ALL the evidence comes out.
JMO of course.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
every team has cameras to take pictures of plays, legally

what i'm saying is they abused their priviledge...take away some of the equipment that is entitled to coaching staffs...headsets, qb helmet communicators, cameras, something to that effect
Yup....they take photos of the field and who is set up where. Thats allowable.
But what they are doing is WAY over the lines. And i would not doubt they are cheating electronically too. If they were willing to cheat one way, why not every way?

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Timmons said:

The Bengals and lions have said their electronic communication went 'out mysteriously' at certain times when playing AT new england.

I disagree. That fine is way too lenient. I think Belicheck should also be forced to have to listen to 500 1 hour lectures from Joe "Norman Einstein" Theisenman on how to successfully run a professional football organization. Now that would be punishment.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tromadz said:
Timmons said:

I disagree. That fine is way too lenient. I think Belicheck should also be forced to have to listen to 500 1 hour lectures from Joe "Norman Einstein" Theisenman on how to successfully run a professional football organization. Now that would be punishment.

Thats cruel and unusual punnishment. :shock: :rotflmao:

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre to Brady in pre-game warm ups: "Cheater, Cheater; pumpkin eater."

Brady to Favre: "Did not, did not."

Favre: "Did too, I read it in the Enquirer."

Brady: " What does that ****** magazine know about sports."

Favre: "THEY know everything....Britney; Lindsey, the whole bunch of them."

Brady: "They're actresses, Brett. Not sports stars, like us."

Favre: "Sooooo.... but you still cheated. Cheater, cheater pumpkin eater."

Brady: "Did not, did not."

Enter Coach Bellichek: "Tom, how many times have I told you...No consorting with the enemy. They might be spying on us."

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This reminds me of the time a Patriot player was hurt, and a trainer from the opposing team went out to help out as well, cuz it looked serious, and Belicheck FLIPPED OUT on him.

I guess he was worried the guy was going to be a classless cheating P.O.S like him.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Frankly, I think it's too lenient. Who thinks that the Patriots couldn't pay this fine for Belichick in an under-the-table manner? Big deal re the 1st rounder...they have another to use, don't they? I can understand the reasons for not suspending him...with all the new electronic gadgets now, he could coach the team from home while watching the game on TV. Who could stop him?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Frankly, I think it's too lenient. Who thinks that the Patriots couldn't pay this fine for Belichick in an under-the-table manner? Big deal re the 1st rounder...they have another to use, don't they? I can understand the reasons for not suspending him...with all the new electronic gadgets now, he could coach the team from home while watching the game on TV. Who could stop him?
Just like i feared would happen.............slap on the wrist.
All this will make them do is hide their cheating better next time.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This reminds me of the time a Patriot player was hurt, and a trainer from the opposing team went out to help out as well, cuz it looked serious, and Belicheck FLIPPED OUT on him.

I guess he was worried the guy was going to be a classless cheating P.O.S like him.
Yeah.......like a severe injury is not more important. Geez..........as you say, "What a POS!"

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tromadz said:

Yeah.......like a severe injury is not more important. Geez..........as you say, "What a POS!"
Yeah I think Belicheat said something like, "Get the f away from my player!" :roll:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

So, how exactly did they get ANOTHER 1st round pick from SF via the moss deal??

Moss came from Oakland..NE has TWO #1 in 2008

. Let's remember, though, the blow can be softened by the fact that New England does own San Francisco's first-round pick after trading away its second of two first-rounders this year.

source

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't mean to rip on Favre in particular, but I get sick to my stomach of the weak comments of celebrities when asked their opinions re their peers. They're always afraid to step on toes. When Favre says it "might cross the line" he's exhibiting the same gut-less spirit of so many in the public eye. Afraid to call 'em the way they are. Politicians all. Why ask these guys for any opinions at all? It's always going to be sugar-coated. A half truth is a half lie, IMO. Doesn't Favre realize that this cheating could have contributed in some way to the near-perfect parformance NE had againest the Packers last year? Doesn't that matter to him? It would to me. It's long past time that a spade be called a spade. The public can take the whole truth.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

I don't mean to rip on Favre in particular, but I get sick to my stomach of the weak comments of celebrities when asked their opinions re their peers. They're always afraid to step on toes. When Favre says it "might cross the line" he's exhibiting the same gut-less spirit of so many in the public eye. Afraid to call 'em the way they are. Politicians all. Why ask these guys for any opinions at all? It's always going to be sugar-coated. A half truth is a half lie, IMO. Doesn't Favre realize that this cheating could have contributed in some way to the near-perfect parformance NE had againest the Packers last year? Doesn't that matter to him? It would to me. It's long past time that a spade be called a spade. The public can take the whole truth.

Maybe after time and time again getting hammered for saying the things that others won't finally have caught up with Favre's williness to be hammered in the media. Usually he is the one to speak his mind about whatever.. Javon, Ted, and others come to mind.

Plus, who knows what type of things the Pack or other NFL teams have employed... hence the somewhat light penalty the Patriots faced. Maybe there is more below the surface and the NFL just wants this to go away from the media's attention ASAP.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

retiredgrampa said:

Maybe after time and time again getting hammered for saying the things that others won't finally have caught up with Favre's williness to be hammered in the media. Usually he is the one to speak his mind about whatever.. Javon, Ted, and others come to mind.

Plus, who knows what type of things the Pack or other NFL teams have employed... hence the somewhat light penalty the Patriots faced. Maybe there is more below the surface and the NFL just wants this to go away from the media's attention ASAP.
How true.....in the past, evertime Favre spoke up, a group would jump on him and tell him to shut up. Maybe he decided to just let the NFL take care of it, and keep his real feelings to himself.
I don't know of course, just guessing.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taking away a first rounder is a pretty fair punishment. I don't think suspending Belicheck would be a big deal because he would just coach from home.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah now the patriots only have ONE 1st rounder. How will they cope.

weak punishment.

I don't know. Imagine how pissed we'd all be if we lost a first rounder. The thing that sucks is that it will be late first rounder.

If a team like the Raiders were cheating they would probably lose a top 5 pick. That could really cripple a franchise.

What do you think the punishment should have been, trom?

Members online

Latest posts