Brett Favre and Forrest Gregg followed similar career paths.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Maybe Favre will come back and be a below average coach for the Packers as well. I found this blog slightly interesting. I still hate Brent though. Let me put that on the record.

Insiders Blog: Favre, Gregg follow similar career paths | greenbaypressgazette.com | Green Bay Press-Gazette

People who want to draw parallels to how favre left the team versus other former greats omit one big factor - none of the others connived to go to our fiercest rival to "stick it" to the Packers out of revenge for not getting things exactly as he wanted them.

I still think that had favre handled everything professionally and above board like an adult, he'd have been dealt with much differently. Ted maybe even would have allowed him to go play for the Vikings (if that is what he really wanted) so long as the queens were willing to pony up some compensation.

But that isn't how brett did it. He chose to wage a nasty PR campaign against the team that basically split the fan base down the middle and caused a huge distraction for the team to recover from.

All comparisons to other former Packer greats who split with the team at the ends of their careers begin and end right there with me. It isn't that brett left or even that he wanted to play for the Vikings - it is about how he went about conducting his business. It reminds me of a nasty divorce where one of the parents wants to win at all costs and will use the children as a pawn to get what they want - and here the children were the Packers' fan base.

I'll never accept brett's actions as okay and I don't think I am even close to alone on this.

OP
OP
AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
People who want to draw parallels to how favre left the team versus other former greats omit one big factor - none of the others connived to go to our fiercest rival to "stick it" to the Packers out of revenge for not getting things exactly as he wanted them.

I still think that had favre handled everything professionally and above board like an adult, he'd have been dealt with much differently. Ted maybe even would have allowed him to go play for the Vikings (if that is what he really wanted) so long as the queens were willing to pony up some compensation.

But that isn't how brett did it. He chose to wage a nasty PR campaign against the team that basically split the fan base down the middle and caused a huge distraction for the team to recover from.

All comparisons to other former Packer greats who split with the team at the ends of their careers begin and end right there with me. It isn't that brett left or even that he wanted to play for the Vikings - it is about how he went about conducting his business. It reminds me of a nasty divorce where one of the parents wants to win at all costs and will use the children as a pawn to get what they want - and here the children were the Packers' fan base.

I'll never accept brett's actions as okay and I don't think I am even close to alone on this.

Completely agree. I was merely throwing the article out there for interpretation. How do you feel about the Packers retiring his number and putting his name in Lambeau Field after he retires for good?

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Completely agree. I was merely throwing the article out there for interpretation. How do you feel about the Packers retiring his number and putting his name in Lambeau Field after he retires for good?
Yeah - I wasn't being critical of you posting the article. My criticism is for the authors of stuff that want to say Lombardi left too, or Gregg played for the Cowboys. Apples and oranges regarding the circumstances.

I know that what I feel won't sway the Packers one bit regarding how they handle his retirement, putting his number up in the ring of honor etc. If it were up to me, his number wouldn't go up next to the likes of Starr, Nitschke, Hutson and Canadeo unless he gave a heart felt apology to the Packer fans for how he chose to behave. And knowing how egotistical brett is, that apology would come on a cold day in hell - so his number would never make it up there.

Now cue the favre apologists who want to come in and give their revisionist version of half truths in order to stick up for their deity Lord favre.

It's all a moot point really. The Packer organization has taken the high road the entire while favre has taken the low road. I don't see that changing in the future so once favre decides he's ready to forgive the Packers (my GOD is that rich... it makes me sick just to type it) I'm sure the Packers will have him back. I will go to the game and boo the crap out of him, but his number will get retired just the same.

OP
OP
AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Yeah - I wasn't being critical of you posting the article. My criticism is for the authors of stuff that want to say Lombardi left too, or Gregg played for the Cowboys. Apples and oranges regarding the circumstances.

I know that what I feel won't sway the Packers one bit regarding how they handle his retirement, putting his number up in the ring of honor etc. If it were up to me, his number wouldn't go up next to the likes of Starr, Nitschke, Hutson and Canadeo unless he gave a heart felt apology to the Packer fans for how he chose to behave. And knowing how egotistical brett is, that apology would come on a cold day in hell - so his number would never make it up there.

Now cue the favre apologists who want to come in and give their revisionist version of half truths in order to stick up for their deity Lord favre.

It's all a moot point really. The Packer organization has taken the high road the entire while favre has taken the low road. I don't see that changing in the future so once favre decides he's ready to forgive the Packers (my GOD is that rich... it makes me sick just to type it) I'm sure the Packers will have him back. I will go to the game and boo the crap out of him, but his number will get retired just the same.

Couldn't agree with you more. You are absolutely right that the Packers will take the high road. They will retire his number and his name will be in the ring of honor. Whether he apologizes or not, it just will be. I mean hell....they are still selling Favre jerseys at the Packer pro shop and he is featured on the Packers website. Favre needs to know his role and realize he is smaller than the Green Bay Packers and that he should consider himself lucky to have his name next to Starr, Hinkle, Canadeo, Gregg, Hutson, and Nitschke. Those guys are Green Bay legends, and Favre has tarnished himself.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Couldn't agree with you more. You are absolutely right that the Packers will take the high road. They will retire his number and his name will be in the ring of honor. Whether he apologizes or not, it just will be. I mean hell....they are still selling Favre jerseys at the Packer pro shop and he is featured on the Packers website. Favre needs to know his role and realize he is smaller than the Green Bay Packers and that he should consider himself lucky to have his name next to Starr, Hinkle, Canadeo, Gregg, Hutson, and Nitschke. Those guys are Green Bay legends, and Favre has tarnished himself.

Favre will always be considered an all time great Packer but to me the "ring of honor" means something. Favre behaved with dishonor. I would be all for unofficially retiring his jersey (just don't assign it anymore) like Hornung... When I hear people say they should give #4 to the punter or something I think that is just dumb. That would make the Packers look small and petty - you know, all the things favre has been but so many people want to sweep under the rug.

To me the best answer is don't put his number up in the sky with the others, but don't assign it to a current Packer either. But that will never happen - it will go up there and IMO that just isn't right based on his off field behavior.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Nah I don't or couldn't picture Favre as a coach. As he is better off not coaching.

$F4RVE$

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if they wouldnt have put brett in that situation we wouldnt be debating this issue period. the management new how brett was, and if you dont know your player after 16 yrs you shouldnt be management. it kinda bugs me that the other half of the fan base thinks its right for management to crap all over the very guy that turned this org. around! won a s.b, and have made the packers a respected threat throughout the league!i know he didnt do it all by himself, but he was a definate leader, and is the top reason the packers have had and enjoyed so much success. those bart starr years, those years with forest gregg, ect.. made the packers the laughing stock of the league. something the detroit lions and cleveland are expieriencing now. id like to see favre comeback as a gm. i think he knows football, and knows how to win! if not gm, id like to see him comeback to the packers one last year, play, kick ***!, then retire. qb coach job would fit him good aswell.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
if they wouldnt have put brett in that situation we wouldnt be debating this issue period. the management new how brett was, and if you dont know your player after 16 yrs you shouldnt be management. it kinda bugs me that the other half of the fan base thinks its right for management to crap all over the very guy that turned this org. around! won a s.b, and have made the packers a respected threat throughout the league!i know he didnt do it all by himself, but he was a definate leader, and is the top reason the packers have had and enjoyed so much success. those bart starr years, those years with forest gregg, ect.. made the packers the laughing stock of the league. something the detroit lions and cleveland are expieriencing now. id like to see favre comeback as a gm. i think he knows football, and knows how to win! if not gm, id like to see him comeback to the packers one last year, play, kick ***!, then retire. qb coach job would fit him good aswell.
This is wrong on so many levels where do you want me to start?

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score

LT is that you playing devils advocate again?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Hell 'strap' ... why bother. That could be one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen anywhere on the #4 topic. All I can say to that post is "HMPF ... whatever!!!"

Anyway, I guess that when #4 is inducted into the Hall of Fame, and it'll happen of course, I'd see putting his name up with the other Packers who have been inducted into the Hall of Fame...that is the criteria for being put up there. However, the names and numbers in the South Endzone... Starr, Nitschke, Canadeo, White ... Ron Wolf's name off to the SouthEast - I just think that putting #4's name and number up with those guys diminishes their legacy to the Pack -- and I didn't feel that way UNTIL he signed with the Vikings.

OP
OP
AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Favre will always be considered an all time great Packer but to me the "ring of honor" means something. Favre behaved with dishonor. I would be all for unofficially retiring his jersey (just don't assign it anymore) like Hornung... When I hear people say they should give #4 to the punter or something I think that is just dumb. That would make the Packers look small and petty - you know, all the things favre has been but so many people want to sweep under the rug.

To me the best answer is don't put his number up in the sky with the others, but don't assign it to a current Packer either. But that will never happen - it will go up there and IMO that just isn't right based on his off field behavior.

Well said. Couldn't agree with you more.

OP
OP
AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score

Holmgren made the Packers respectable. Look how poorly Favre performed in the playoffs....even to this day....after Holmgren left.

Members online

Latest posts