Breakout Packers for 2019

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Breakout players - who ya got?

Defense: Montravarious Adams. He played quite well during the later part o fthe season. I think he has just hit his stride and will be even better this season. I'm guessing he surpasses Daniels on his value to the defense. He have a bit better matchup opportunities this year with our improved pass rush from the Smith Brothers. He is big, strong and a great attitude. He is quick and persistent. These DL guys need a little time to develop their bodies. It takes a lot of abuse to play on the DL and the body has to toughen up. Adams is at that point now where he is going to be causing more abuse than taking it. Go get em!

Offense: One of the 2nd year recievers. I could make a case for either Moore, EQ or MVS. I'm going with Moore. He should have done better last year but the game appeared to big for him through his rookie eyes. I'm thinking he had a whole year to digest everything and he is coming back ready. I have seen some video of his offseason workouts and it appears like he is really dedicated to making himself better. He isn't as athletically gifted as the other 2, but he is a better route runner. Hopefully his hands aren't an issue - again, I think he was thinking too much and not just naturally playing.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Jones. Under a new scheme that will (hopefully) include a heavy dose of running, Jones should excel. Of course, that will depend on how much the OL can improve.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
New Special teams coach, none other than...... :coffee:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robert Tonyan... I'm hoping he's the seam-splitting TE that GB has been missing since Jermichael went down. Would have absolutely no problems if he quietly, steadily "stole" more and more snaps from Graham.

*Edit* I didn't know we were naming an O AND a D guy, so here's my D breakout player:
Oren Burks - Knows what the NFL is like and attacked this offseason to bulk-up a little and get his mind into Inside Linebacker-mode. I think he'll surprise with his 2nd year jump and add a LOT with his coverage skills.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Aaron Jones. Under a new scheme that will (hopefully) include a heavy dose of running, Jones should excel. Of course, that will depend on how much the OL can improve.

Jones has put up pretty good numbers in limited action over his first two seasons in the league already. Unfortunately it seems he isn't build to stay healthy with an increased workload.

New Special teams coach, none other than...... :coffee:

You truly expect a holder to have enough of an impact to be considered as a breakout player??? ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Josh Jackson might change this offseason narrative during the season. Not that he's been talked about a lot, but most of it seems to be disappointment. I actually don't think he was that bad last year at all. I thought he had a good year for a rookie, but there were a few big plays that went against him that stand out. But even those, very few was he "toast". Most of those plays were just a finger tip away, half step, or just a fluke type play, and that often times the difference between winning and losing in this league. But I think another year and confidence, he'll be that half step closer and instead of a big play going the other way, he's batting it down or taking the ball away this year.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Josh Jackson might change this offseason narrative during the season. Not that he's been talked about a lot, but most of it seems to be disappointment. I actually don't think he was that bad last year at all. I thought he had a good year for a rookie, but there were a few big plays that went against him that stand out. But even those, very few was he "toast". Most of those plays were just a finger tip away, half step, or just a fluke type play, and that often times the difference between winning and losing in this league. But I think another year and confidence, he'll be that half step closer and instead of a big play going the other way, he's batting it down or taking the ball away this year.
Jackson played very well in the preseason, as I recall the top rated CB in the NFL, only to fade as the season went on. Was it stamina, tape allow exploitation, or just facing better receivers?

Regardless, he was raw coming out with his technique, having only played CB a short time. An NFL season under his belt and a full offseason should help him tremendously.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You truly expect a holder to have enough of an impact to be considered as a breakout player??? ;)
Well #9 in the picture is former Packer Punter Jon Ryan and he hasn't played for the Packers since 2007, too bad they didn't hang on to him.

So, that leaves the best marginally average overpaid kicker in the league. ;)

Interesting side note about the #9 jersey for the Packers. While I didn't research all the numbers, that particular one seems to be the kiss of death. Very few players have worn it in Green Bay over the years and those who have, haven't stuck around very long. Keep an eye on DeShon Kizer.
  • OL Whitney Woodin - 1925-26
  • OL Jug Earp - 1928
  • End Fritz Borak - 1938
  • K Dean Doresy - 1988
  • P Bryan Wagner - 1992-93
  • K Dirk Borogognone - 1996
  • QB Jim McMahon - 1995-96
  • P Josh Bidwell - 2000-2003
  • P Bryan Barker - 2004
  • P Jon Ryan - 2006-2007
  • QB Seneca Wallace - 2013
  • QB DeShon Kizer - 2018 -

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm gonna go with Moore and Jackson. Actually, all 3 of the 2nd year WR's, but especially Moore. Everything I've seen has people raving about his off season work.
The biggest criticism I saw about Jackson was he needed to stop grabbing and trust his technique.
I'm looking for big improvement from both of these young men.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones has put up pretty good numbers in limited action over his first two seasons in the league already. Unfortunately it seems he isn't build to stay healthy with an increased workload.

Captain made a joke:D:D:D and a good one.

Just kidding Cap. Its just that too many times I'm tempted to give you one of these

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaire Alexander on defense

On offense its too much of a toss up to pick one of the wonder triplets so I'll go with Aaron Jones who was my first thought anyway. As captain pointed out though injuries are a concern.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I'm really hoping this will be Kevin King's year. He has played well enough when healthy that I feel the potential is there to have a good year.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Josh Jackson doing well will be dependant on whether we run primarily zone or man. Jackson can be very good in zone, in man...he struggles. He has heavy feet.

I'm really not sure he can play outside corner like Pettine wants. Hope he can.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hmmm... I'll throw out some guesses.

On offense, I will go with J'mon Moore. Moore, while he lacks long speed, is a rare athlete. I would say he was the most advanced of all the young receivers last offseason, however his horrific drop problem completely undermined his ability to make good. If (and I do mean "if"-- it's not a foregone conclusion) he can settle down on the drop issue, I love his chances to make a big impact. I can envision him being the "big slot" that has been discussed so frequently this offseason.

On defense, I'll call my shot with Kevin King. Put simply-- athletes like King taken in the top 100 do not miss. You'd be hard pressed to find another prospect with his ability that never developed into at least a "pretty good" corner. Injuries have hamstrung (pun intended) his chances to this point, but if he can get a little luckier with injuries this season, I think he could have a strong season.

Other names I thought about-- basically all of the receivers behind Adams (MVS, EQ, Allison). Aaron Jones for sure, but I wanted to go a little deeper than that. Oren Burks in his second season. And lastly, while I don't think Blake Martinez is ever going to be an elite three down linebacker, for the type of player he is I think he has a great season in store.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
G-Mo is my pick, assuming he stays healthy.
I'd like Tonyan to be given more snaps.

Best player in D would be Blake Martinez again.

H

HardRightEdge

Jackson played very well in the preseason, as I recall the top rated CB in the NFL, only to fade as the season went on. Was it stamina, tape allow exploitation, or just facing better receivers?
I like Jackson to realize some some upside this season if not exactly a breakout. When it comes to Jackson's and Burks' improvements, it might be more a case of optimism based on need. The defense needs to see their progression.

Preseason is 4 games worth of cautionary tales. It's better than rosy reports of scripted reps in non-contact camp drills, but the reality is a disproportionate number of snaps against the #30 - #90 players on the roster with with vet stars playing hardly at all. In the case of Jackson, it is not just a matter of playing against second and third string receivers, it's also the QBs and the O-Line when the starters go to the bench.

Based on the last preseason, to take an example, a Gilbert breakout to some degree was expected in some quarters last year. That it didn't happen is a function of competition. Let's face it--by the time you get to the 3rd. and 4th. quarters of these games you're seeing a lot of guys who won't make a roster and any impressive individual performance could be the guy's ceiling against inferior competition, just a good college player.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to say Jimmy Graham. He won't get much after the catch (unless no one is around him) but I think he will be open more. On D I am going to say Tony Brown. But he needs to get his head together after the play.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to say Jimmy Graham...but I think he will be open more.
Just wondering why you think this? He's another year older, and another step slower. Most routes led to contested catches, whereas in his youth he had a step or 3 before meeting with contact.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm not sure what is supposed to constitute a "breakout". I like Allison and MVS for increased production in a slot-by-committee approach. I'd like to put Moore on that list, but he's starting behind the curve. He's in a do-over rookie season. There will be a lot of performance pressure on the first throw that doesn't hit him on the numbers.

The other day I watched a rerun of the Steve Largent "30 for 30". As one of the great pair of hands in the pre-glove era, he said his key was not focusing on the ball, instead focusing on the leading tip of the ball. Can somebody pass that along to Moore? ;)

Does Alexander's rookie year constitute a "breakout", making everybody's all-rookie team? If so, I would not rule out the Packers first 3 picks on that basis.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Might as well toss in Aaron Rodgers name. Especially considering his last 2 seasons have been underwhelming. Yes, he already "broke out" a long time ago, but if he stays healthy, buys into the new offense and the OL can protect him, he could light it up and have a 2011 like year.

Members online

Latest posts