1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Breakout Packers for 2019

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers Fan Forum' started by AmishMafia, May 16, 2019.

1. PackFan2

PackFan2 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Breakout player- I'll go outside the norm-ish

Offense: Lane Taylor
    - I think Taylor is gonna come into camp hungry and be an above average linemen this year for us.

Defense: Tony Brown.
    - Won't be shocked if Kevin King gets injured again. Brown showed up (though he made some boneheaded decisions) and player with swagger.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  2. GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I'd suggest you compare their 3-cone measurements before stating that.

Edit: Their 3-cones will be hard to find - my assumption is they didn't do it. Typically larger WR's forego the 3-cone more often. Anyway, J'mon's was 6.56, that is an elite 3-cone. Some place more emphasis on the 40 time, but the 3-cone does demonstrate some success as well for WR's.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/jmon-moore

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

You are correct. I still think both EQ and MVS are better athletes, but the difference is negligible. Moore is a very impressive athlete in his own right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Packer Fan Since:
    I still like to think Gute found something there in all 3 second year WR's. I expect MVS and EQ to pick up where they left off and continue to get better and if Moore can clear up his drop issues, he could make a big leap in year 2.

Now it's easy for me to get excited about them, but I think the Packers are as well. Cobb leaves and they sign 0 FA WR's and draft 0, they must like what they have seen thus far from that group of 3 or I think their off season approach to the position would have been different.

Aaron Rodgers can go a long way at making a WR look pretty good and if all 3 of those guys improve, Graham plays better and Adams and GMO do what they do, look out.

5. Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Offense: Allison - Personally Allison already "broke out" last year but there are still so many naysayers here because of the injury. Allison had a perfect blend of explosive plays mixed in with volume receptions as well. As long as he's unbothered by the injury my money is he's no less than a 700 rec yds and 9 TD stat line.

Defense: Jackson - I want to believe Kevin King will play in every game this year, but if not it's his time to shine.

6. Dantés

Dantés Gute Loot

Packer Fan Since:
    Allison is a much more "sure" bet as a breakout player. I definitely agree with expectations that he's going to contribute quite a bit to the offense.

7. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:

I had thought of that but I think he can be a lot better. I'm looking for him to be one of the two or three guys people list by name when talking about the best DBs in the game before they say "along with a few others." He's not there yet. I guess if you are looking for guys who didn't do squat until now then he wouldn't qualify but I have more confidence that he will play even better than I do with King or Jones although I think they have the potential to up their game as well. Primarily in staying healthy in Kings case.

With the addition of Amos and Savage and the hopefully improved game of the rest of the young guys (namely King, Jones and Jackson) and throw in Greens and Brown and I am quietly optimistic that this may be one of the best secondaries in the league by the end of the year. SO much potential. SO much to be excited about IMO.

A second year under Petine's system and a much improved pass rush and I can see a top 5 defense. They may start out slow but by midseason they will be on a roll. Maybe its just my eternal optimism and desire to see a top level defense but I am excited to see what they can do.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I was thinking maybe Allison as well but I think MVS, EQS and Moore all have the potential to outplay him. Its a young and unproven group but there certainly is cause for excitement there.

9. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    MVS ran a 6.85 3-cone at his Pro Day. Also a 4.17 20 yard shuttle. Pretty good numbers for a 6' 4" guy.

http://www.draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=129683&DraftYear=2018

St. Brown did not run these drills at his Pro Day.

http://www.draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1002833&DraftYear=2018

Skipping these drills didn't help his draft status even if he didn't expect to time very well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Cheetahs dont run 3-cones.

J'Mon is rather tall as well at 6' 2 5/8".

11. GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Ya, I don't think Megatron ran his. That was the knock on Metcalf this year. If he wouldn't have run that drill, he may have been a top 15 draft pick.

12. curley

curley Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    They were sure targeting (picking on) him as the year went on. Hope he picks it up a bit.

13. curley

curley Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    O:
    I believe that both St. Brown and MVS ate going to step up. Big, fast and no double teams with Adams attracting attention. They have now seen SEC speed for a year so the adjustment will come.

D:
    I would love for Josh Jones to show up somewhere, even special teams, but time is ticking. Burke stepping up would allow us to not overpay Martinez in 2020. However, I predict that Kevin King stays on the field and adds serious depth to the DB’s. (He says as he rubs his rabbit foot)

14. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I trust you're joking.

15. gbgary

gbgary Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    breakout players. someone who comes out of nowhere to surprise us. someone suddenly doing more than expected. a lot of the names i've seen mentioned have shown us who they are. i'll bet they give pretty much continue to show what they've already shown. but i'll go ahead and guess mvs and amos from the vets and a couple of rookies perhaps. maybe gary and sternberger.

16. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

EQ doesnt stretch to warmup because "cheetahs dont stretch"

17. texaspackerbacker

texaspackerbacker Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I'll go with Valdez-Scantling. Unlike some, I think (and hope) the Packers throw at least as much as previous seasons with the running game just a change of pace. I expect St. Brown to be a bigger factor also. On defense, it's more bounce back than break out, but I expect Daniels to have a good year as teams need to load up to block our new found outside pass rush strength.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Packer Fan Since:
    I miss Norm!

19. texaspackerbacker

texaspackerbacker Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Good for him. Stretching is overrated. I'm 72 and still playing tennis, and I've never stretched.

20. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    That's not my idea of a breakout player. My idea of a breakout is a guy who has shown flashes of greatness ( I don't really like that word in this case because it may be too strong but I'll use it anyway) giving us a reason to think he may be capable of a lot more. Some guy who has done nothing so far gives me no real reason to think he may be capable of doing more. Breakout players build upon a year or two of small successes and finally burst onto the scene.

IMO what you have described is a surprise not a breakout. That's just my take on it.

I hope the guys mentioned don't just continue to give us what they have already shown because as good as some of them were I think, or at least I hope, they are capable of a lot more.

Just a different way of looking at it is all.

21. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I highly doubt Metcalf running the 3 Cone Drill was the reason he was selected at the end of the second round.

The Packers offense should definitely be a pass heavy one with Rodgers starting but they need to be more balanced than last season.

22. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    He hasn't been able to shoulder the load.

https://instantrimshot.com/

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. PackerDNA

PackerDNA Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Was there a pun intended with that "ouch"? :) I give you a "funny" for it regardless.

Frankly, when a kid fresh out of college gets handed $5.3 million in guaranteed money, and his issues do not involve brain or spinal cord injuries, I'm looking for performance without much in the way of sympathy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    So based off that, you'd argue that if he ran a sub 6.5 in the 3-cone, he'd still have gone in the second round? Please remember that players have been taken in the top ten just for being fast (John Ross, Darrius Heyward-Bey) and people lose draft position all the time for having slow numbers.