Breakout Packers for 2019

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So based off that, you'd argue that if he ran a sub 6.5 in the 3-cone, he'd still have gone in the second round? Please remember that players have been taken in the top ten just for being fast (John Ross, Darrius Heyward-Bey) and people lose draft position all the time for having slow numbers.
DHB was always a 2nd round talent. Al Davis was crazy to take him as high as he did.

Metcalf is not a very good receiver, and that is why he wasnt drafted higher. He has a few impressive plays for highlight clips, but he played a lot of snaps against average college level DBs and was unable to get open and put up marginal effort to get contested balls.

My take is, with the shirtless pics and showing up at Seahawks without a shirt, guy is impressed with his own body. But how tough is he? The attitude of body builders is to protect their bodies, and that prohibits doing things in football. I think he will not get a 2nd NFL contract.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DHB was always a 2nd round talent. Al Davis was crazy to take him as high as he did.

Metcalf is not a very good receiver, and that is why he wasnt drafted higher. He has a few impressive plays for highlight clips, but he played a lot of snaps against average college level DBs and was unable to get open and put up marginal effort to get contested balls.

My take is, with the shirtless pics and showing up at Seahawks without a shirt, guy is impressed with his own body. But how tough is he? The attitude of body builders is to protect their bodies, and that prohibits doing things in football. I think he will not get a 2nd NFL contract.

On a per snap basis he (Metcalf) was more productive than N'Keal Harry and was PFF's top WR of the draft. He has limited skills, but if Seattle can take advantage of his skill set I think he could return first round value.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...-pffs-top-wide-receiver-in-the-2019-nfl-draft

The DHB fact was just to point out that speed can be a major factor in where people are drafted.

Reaction score
I’ll take Burks. He started slow, but he has very limited LB experience in general and last year he was relegated to ST so he didn’t have enough snaps to get in a groove on Defense.
Burks also showed many flashes of his speed and athleticism on ST. I think he’ll get more opportunities to show off his athleticism because we didn’t prioritize ILB.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m gonna go jimmy graham On offense and defense Darnell savage is gonna be a beast!
Mark my words

D

Deleted member 6794

So based off that, you'd argue that if he ran a sub 6.5 in the 3-cone, he'd still have gone in the second round? Please remember that players have been taken in the top ten just for being fast (John Ross, Darrius Heyward-Bey) and people lose draft position all the time for having slow numbers.

It doesn't matter that Metcalf ran the 3 Cone Drill at the combine as it was obvious to teams watching his tape he isn't agile enough to post a time anywhere close to below 6.5.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't matter that Metcalf ran the 3 Cone Drill at the combine as it was obvious to teams watching his tape he isn't agile enough to post a time anywhere close to below 6.5.

I'll await your precombine evidence of that statement. Until then I'll take my dozens if not hundreds of articles that stated post combine concerns regarding his agility.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a per snap basis he (Metcalf) was more productive than N'Keal Harry and was PFF's top WR of the draft. He has limited skills, but if Seattle can take advantage of his skill set I think he could return first round value.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...-pffs-top-wide-receiver-in-the-2019-nfl-draft

The DHB fact was just to point out that speed can be a major factor in where people are drafted.
Not sure about comparing him to anyone, in general he was unproductive despite being far physically superior than any DB he faced. He had 67 catches in 3 years (although he only played in 2 games as a freshman). NKeal Harry had 213 catches over the same period. If your stat is true, then he must have had less than 33% of the snaps of Harry. Which begs the question, why did Mississippi have Metcalf sitting on the sidelines so much and not out there helping the team?

If you are a believer in profootballfocus metrics, Metcalf has one of the lowest AV scores of any WR of the last 10 years. His bust potential is 94%.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure about comparing him to anyone, in general he was unproductive despite being far physically superior than any DB he faced. He had 67 catches in 3 years (although he only played in 2 games as a freshman). NKeal Harry had 213 catches over the same period. If your stat is true, then he must have had less than 33% of the snaps of Harry. Which begs the question, why did Mississippi have Metcalf sitting on the sidelines so much and not out there helping the team?

If you are a believer in profootballfocus metrics, Metcalf has one of the lowest AV scores of any WR of the last 10 years. His bust potential is 94%.

The production stat comparing Harry and Metcalf was from last year, and was mentioned in the above article. Metcalf had his season cut short last year due to injury. I'm not sure why they didn't use him more. There's plenty of great nfl players who weren't used much in college.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The production stat comparing Harry and Metcalf was from last year, and was mentioned in the above article. Metcalf had his season cut short last year due to injury. I'm not sure why they didn't use him more. There's plenty of great nfl players who weren't used much in college.
Players who are successful in the pros and were successful in college are far more numerous.

Pro football reference metrics compares the physical attributes and actual college production. Data then correlates that to NFL success. This is then compared to historical NFL players. The result is DK Metcalf is one of the lowest rated WRs ever. His All Pro potential is less than 1% and bust potential is at 93.5%.

Maybe he will do well, I think if anyone gets it out of him it will be Pete carrol. But I cant see him doing much in the pros against even average CBs.

Reaction score
Players who are successful in the pros and were successful in college are far more numerous.

Pro football reference metrics compares the physical attributes and actual college production. Data then correlates that to NFL success. This is then compared to historical NFL players. The result is DK Metcalf is one of the lowest rated WRs ever. His All Pro potential is less than 1% and bust potential is at 93.5%.

Maybe he will do well, I think if anyone gets it out of him it will be Pete carrol. But I cant see him doing much in the pros against even average CBs.
I partly agree and disagree. While I don’t think Metcalf will “light it up” by default, I think he had the ability to be effective if utilized in the right system.

He needs to be the #2 perimeter receiver early on or he’s going to be surprised at how much faster and aggressive the game is played at the NFL level today. He also needs to have a more focused role and be with the right QB. I don’t think Russell is a perfect fit, but he does have the ability to scramble and has an above average arm.
I believe a teams like GB would’ve been more ideal. GB because Rodgers is the master of buying time for Metcalf to break free past 20 yards, which is one key to his success. Also, Rodgers has a strong enough arm to hit him accurately 35+ yards down field on a scramble and Davante Adams would absolutely make opposing Defenses pay if they focused on Metcalf with dedicated Safety help or by using a #1 CB or combination thereof.

I see Metcalf as a systematic threat. He’s fit to be paired with a receiver that’s universally dangerous (e.g, Davante). I don’t believe he’s a complete bust though. I think he would excel paired with a 1000 yard type capable, perimeter receiver.

He’s a good pick at #64 overall. That’s a worthy area to grab a WR with upside, regardless if he turns into an average receiver. I would’ve been all over him in the 3rd round had he slipped any more.
No way was he a top 15 grade pick. He’s too limited in scope and anything inside #32 overall was an anticipated reach.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I'll await your precombine evidence of that statement. Until then I'll take my dozens if not hundreds of articles that stated post combine concerns regarding his agility.

Do you really believe NFL teams weren't aware that Metcalf lacks agility??? They definitely didn't expect him to run anywhere close to a 6.5 when all he could put up was a 7.38.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are several things that make me optimistic about Burks.

- He's smart.

- Martinez has brought up how Burks has been living in the film room, which is exactly what he needs.

- He has all of the physical tools, he just needs reps and time.

- Mike Pettine's system is tailor made for athletic ILB's.

- KO is reportedly a very good LB coach. Has been around for a while, and a good knowledge of the positions. Matches up well with Burks, huh?

- Who else is there to play? He's gonna get the reps. He'll have his struggles, but the guy needs reps.

D

Deleted member 6794

Who else is there to play? He's gonna get the reps. He'll have his struggles, but the guy needs reps.

The Packers having to play Burks because they don't have anyone else doesn't instill a lot of confidence in the position entering this season though.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers having to play Burks because they don't have anyone else doesn't instill a lot of confidence in the position entering this season though.

When you consider they didn't add anybody else, it gives you a certain look into how they view him.

They're clearly planning on him playing.

In that same respect, we can also see how they view Josh Jones. They spent a lot of money/assets on making sure he doesn't have to play a lot.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Although you could also turn that around and say that the Packers lack of activity at the position means that they still have confidence in him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Bottom line for me on Burks:

He was drafted in the 3rd round to be a project because he had great tools and needed to be developed, having switched positions regularly in college.

He basically had a developmental year, where he flashed some good, some bad, and missed some time with injury.

Thus it's entirely too early to say anything definitive about him. You don't draft developmental players only to move on after one year because they turned out to be... developmental players.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will go with Jake Kumerow on offense. I have been in a few back and forths over my belief in this young man and I see no reason to shy away from my belief that he will be a solid performer for us this season. He has good size, good hands, ample speed and the trust of AR. I understand there are many other WR's fighting for a roster spot/snaps that were drafted and that may give them an edge as of today. However, once the pads come on and guys are being judged off their actual play, I like Jake's chances to break out and prove himself worthy of not only a roster spot but his fair share of snaps.

Defensively, I will go with Montravius Adams. This kid has been an intriguing prospect since the day we landed him and I think this could be the year the proverbial light goes off for him. Getting to grow and learn in the same room as guys like Mike and Kenny can only help his chances of success. He has the skill-set to be a disruptive player and I will not be surprised one bit if that is exactly what we see from his this upcoming season. IF he can take his game to new heights it could make what looks to be a formidable unit even better.

G P G

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom line for me on Burks:

He was drafted in the 3rd round to be a project because he had great tools and needed to be developed, having switched positions regularly in college.

He basically had a developmental year, where he flashed some good, some bad, and missed some time with injury.

Thus it's entirely too early to say anything definitive about him. You don't draft developmental players only to move on after one year because they turned out to be... developmental players.

100% agree. The guy will need a few years to show what he's worth. Relying on him to be "the guy" I think would be a desperation move, but I'm very curious to see how he does this year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
100% agree. The guy will need a few years to show what he's worth. Relying on him to be "the guy" I think would be a desperation move, but I'm very curious to see how he does this year.

One thing that I do expect is that he will get a lot of snaps. At least early on. If he shows himself capable with what they give him early, it will continue. We will obviously know a lot more this time next year. If he has a really lousy year 2, then I would suspect that the naysayers are correct and he's not going to develop.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts