Brad Jones

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was either Jaws or Gruden who said something very interesting last night. That our future at outside linebacker on the other side of Clay Matthews was Brad Jones.

Now I think that Jones has played great. I can see that happening. Amazing that we got him in the 7th round. Do you guys see him as our starting outside linebacker for years to come?

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if you set aside for a minute that he was a 7th rounder, he has beat out Brady P. and Thompson and has only played and practice with the first team for about 4 games, its a rather impressive start. He has looked good against Dallas and improved with a sack against the Ravens. He has played well against both teams and if you where an average viewer of the game would never have guessed he was a rookie from the 7th round.

He may never dominate or be as good as Mathews, who knows, he seems to at least get the job done at a decent level.

I believe he is a faster player than Kampman, and has the body type and skill set to play the 3-4 defense. Kampan is not a LB, but a DE in a 4-3 scheme.

OP
OP
CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if you set aside for a minute that he was a 7th rounder, he has beat out Brady P. and Thompson and has only played and practice with the first team for about 4 games, its a rather impressive start. He has looked good against Dallas and improved with a sack against the Ravens. He has played well against both teams and if you where an average viewer of the game would never have guessed he was a rookie from the 7th round.

He may never dominate or be as good as Mathews, who knows, he seems to at least get the job done at a decent level.

I believe he is a faster player than Kampman, and has the body type and skill set to play the 3-4 defense. Kampan is not a LB, but a DE in a 4-3 scheme.

There was an instant upgrade when Jones took over for Kampman. You are right about Kampman, he was never able to make the transition to the 3-4.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I've taken from Jones this far is that we've found at least a great rotation OLB with a 7th rounder. If he's gonna be a star, a pro-bowler, or even a starter is still up to question, but I think it's pretty sure he'll be a great rotation player, which in the 3-4 is extremely important.

But with Matthews, he'll be a competent starter. Next year, CM3 will command double team every snap, believe me. If we manage to keep Jolly, and manage to get another young stud CB, or if Williams develops into one, this defense will be dominating for years to come...

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
He's made a former Pro-Bowler expendable in my opinion.

Resign Kampman, turn around and trade him for whatever you can get. Poison pill so he doesn't get traded to Minnesota must be part of it. Allen, Williams Wall, and Kampman would cause me to lose sleep at night.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's made a former Pro-Bowler expendable in my opinion.

Resign Kampman, turn around and trade him for whatever you can get. Poison pill so he doesn't get traded to Minnesota must be part of it. Allen, Williams Wall, and Kampman would cause me to lose sleep at night.
The same could be said to Jolly, Jenkins, Raji, Pickett and CM3 ;) And considering both Raji and CM3 are rookies... Scary...

We ought to keep at least Jolly, though. I don't think we'll re-sign Pickett, but he provides quality depth, but Jolly is a must.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hahaha Good one. Never understood that pick by TT. He definitely did well in this years draft though.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Noone's perfect. Even the glorified Ron Wolf made some bad picks (Jamaal Reynolds).

Yeah definitely no one is perfect. It is quite hard to be a GM and do not envy those in that position. Sometimes the fanboy in me would like to be the GM for the packers, but in reality I think it would be very difficult. Let's just hope TT can consider going after just a few Free agents and keep up with drafting quality players.

OP
OP
CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah definitely no one is perfect. It is quite hard to be a GM and do not envy those in that position. Sometimes the fanboy in me would like to be the GM for the packers, but in reality I think it would be very difficult. Let's just hope TT can consider going after just a few Free agents and keep up with drafting quality players.

The GM of the Packers would be a dream job. But then again you have all kinds of cry babies who complain about every single move. It's amazing,and I may be alone in this, but as the season has gone along, alot of holes on our team is being filled by players stepping up. That just goes to show how great of a job TT is doing in bringing in talent.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The GM of the Packers would be a dream job. But then again you have all kinds of cry babies who complain about every single move. It's amazing,and I may be alone in this, but as the season has gone along, alot of holes on our team is being filled by players stepping up. That just goes to show how great of a job TT is doing in bringing in talent.

Yeah, Tramon must be under some huge pressure filling in for Harris and Brad Jones filling in for Kampman had definitely worked out to say the least. The O-line stepping up as a group has been the most surprising thing to me though. They deserve a lot of credit for the past four games. I'm hoping Lang and Barbre learn a few things from the Vet Tackles.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly see that the entire team is doing a better job of blitzing due to Jones. However it's a bit reasonable to stay a little cautious. Just out of curiosity, why did he fall to the seventh round in the first place?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly see that the entire team is doing a better job of blitzing due to Jones. However it's a bit reasonable to stay a little cautious. Just out of curiosity, why did he fall to the seventh round in the first place?
He didn't have a lot of production in college. He had very good measurables, though.

OP
OP
CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now why would anyone bring Bustin Harrell and Jamaal Reynolds up? Let's talk about Tony Mandarich then...

I brought Harrell up because of the possibility, and it's a slight possibilty, that he can stay healthy and contribute for us, how big that would be for our line.

I brought Reynolds up to show that all GM's make a bad pick here and there, because people love to highly scrutinize Ted Thompson.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I brought Harrell up because of the possibility, and it's a slight possibilty, that he can stay healthy and contribute for us, how big that would be for our line.

I brought Reynolds up to show that all GM's make a bad pick here and there, because people love to highly scrutinize Ted Thompson.
I'm just messing... I just don't like very much to remember packers busts...

And Harrell is a bust. He's getting paid too highly. I do agree that we should keep him, but he needs to get a salary cut. Keeping him for that money is dumb.

OP
OP
CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just messing... I just don't like very much to remember packers busts...

And Harrell is a bust. He's getting paid too highly. I do agree that we should keep him, but he needs to get a salary cut. Keeping him for that money is dumb.

I know what you mean. I don't like to remember them either.

Harrell so far is a bust, but there is a chance he could turn it around a be a big playmaker. I know how ridiculous I must sound, but I just don't feel liek we should give up on him. As for a salary cut, hell yeah!

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The same could be said to Jolly, Jenkins, Raji, Pickett and CM3 ;) And considering both Raji and CM3 are rookies... Scary...

We ought to keep at least Jolly, though. I don't think we'll re-sign Pickett, but he provides quality depth, but Jolly is a must.

My only concern with Jolly if he gets that big contract with all that guarantee money, he will become slow and lazy. This year he is putting everything on the line in a contract year. Not to mention his legal problems. I just think players like Jolly play better with incentives.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what is Harrell doing to get better? Is he using rest and time to heal or did he have more surgeries?

What are his chances of playing again? I understand why the Packers kept him and did not cut him. It only costed them 500,000 dollars more to keep him, because all the other money was guranteed. I think his contract comes due next year, not sure.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Harrell probably has had the longest NFL career of doing nothing but sitting on IR ever. If he ever did get healthy enough to play, that would really help out on the depth chart of the D line. I don't know why they didn't just fuse the vertebraes back 2 years ago. He probably would be ready to go by now. Or put in an artificial disk that wouldn't bulge. Yeah, I know, easier said than done. I think the dude has been sandbagging it if you want my honest opinion. If you really want to play in the NFL, he could have done something to get back out there. But hey, if you can just sit on IR and collect $500,000 a year. Why not.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts