Bobby Tonyan

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So do you use a roster spot for a 3rd string qb, who didnt have a traditional off season?

No, I agree with everybody that a 3rd string QB should be on the bench. What I am saying is that I take it as a bad sign that the heir apparent is still 3rd string in week 14.

Yes, it is possible that a normal off season could have led to him being #2 by now, but why would we think that? What evidence is there? I am not being argumentative-- I only know what I see and read-- and we saw Rodgers with his college days bad throwing mechanics improve enough to see paying time by week five.

Rodgers didn't do well in his rookie appearances, and I am sure Love would struggle as well, but I think we'd all like to see him get some of the struggles over and done with. Up by 30 against the 49ers in week 12, for example, would have been a good opportunity, but he wasn't ready in the event of a 1st quarter injury to the starter.

We'd all feel better about the pick if Love is activated soon.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I agree with everybody that a 3rd string QB should be on the bench. What I am saying is that I take it as a bad sign that the heir apparent is still 3rd string in week 14.

Yes, it is possible that a normal off season could have led to him being #2 by now, but why would we think that? What evidence is there? I am not being argumentative-- I only know what I see and read-- and we saw Rodgers with his college days bad throwing mechanics improve enough to see paying time by week five.

Rodgers didn't do well in his rookie appearances, and I am sure Love would struggle as well, but I think we'd all like to see him get some of the struggles over and done with. Up by 30 against the 49ers in week 12, for example, would have been a good opportunity, but he wasn't ready in the event of a 1st quarter injury to the starter.

I agree with a lot of this... I will add that I doubt that we will see Love activated this season. I just don’t think it was ever in the plans regardless of how he is doing in practice.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will add that I doubt that we will see Love activated this season. I just don’t think it was ever in the plans regardless of how he is doing in practice

Undoubtedly true, and we're all happy that no backup QB gets on the field.

This makes it more important, in my view, that the other draft picks and free agents contribute. It's true that you can't really judge a draft class for 2-3 years, but early returns are a good thing.

Moreover, if the rest of the draft class or UFAs were making a splash, Love (and Dillon) wouldn't be as much of a topic of conversation.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

What some are failing to recognize when they bring Rodgers and his rookie season up is that fact that the Packers were 4-12 that year. The Packers are currently 9-3 and except for maybe that 49'er game, have never had the luxury of trotting in a backup QB for very long, just to give him game experience. For all we know Love's skill levels have surpassed Boyles, but I think MLF would feel more comfortable having Boyle trot in if Rodgers gets knocked out and the game is in the balance.

I'm not implying that Love is a better than Boyle right now, but he very well could be, except with no game experience to prove it, MLF isn't going to risk putting him in there. Love is going to need some real game time experience, but I would prefer that to either come via Preseason or in a situation where the result of the game just doesn't matter. I don't think dressing him as the #2 or the #3 QB in the hopes of being able to play him in a blowout is worth the game day active roster spot at this point.

Patience Packer fans, we will all get a chance to see just how good or bad Love is, just probably and hopefully not this season.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tell you what, if I could just see that Jordan Love kid take a few kneel downs at the end of games, I’d feel a heck of a lot better about his future. Dadgum.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I tell you what, if I could just see that Jordan Love kid take a few kneel downs at the end of games, I’d feel a heck of a lot better about his future. Dadgum.
I'll cut Love a little slack for not earning 2nd string this season due to no preseason and limited training camp, but if he can't get the backup role next season, consider yourself worried.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll cut Love a little slack for not earning 2nd string this season due to no preseason and limited training camp, but if he can't get the backup role next season, consider yourself worried.

Yeah, there’s just no reason at all to be concerned yet.

When a QB like Aaron Rodgers can’t pick up the entire offense in his first year, why would you expect a rookie QB with no training camp to be able to have a good enough grasp to justify being the backup?

We’ll find out if Love is “the guy” in a couple years.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He caught all 5 of his targets and even got a TD for his trouble....good for 17.10 points in my fantasy league.

Now if we can just get him to avg about an extra 13-17 yds per game.....
2 for 2 and a td

When will you admit he can do it

Seems like never enough?

Wasnt consistent

Then needs more yards..

What will it be this week? His gloves arent white enough? Lol

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Getting hard criticism and stepping up rather than feeling sorry for yourself... we need as much of that as we can get.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting hard criticism and stepping up rather than feeling sorry for yourself... we need as much of that as we can get.

To be fair, I think Robert's intent or one of them with this letter was to share precisely that is the mentality fostering and occurring within our organization. That is incredible.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really nice write up by him. Though he's obviously not gonna poo poo his teammates before a playoff game on the record. Seemed very genuine though!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also reading vastly too much into it no doubt...but doesn't sound like a guy that believes he is on his way out.

D

Deleted member 6794

I really hope we find a way to re-sign him. I’d even re-sign him over Aaron Jones

The Packers most likely will be able to retain Bobby for less than $4 million for next season by putting a second round tender on him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers most likely will be able to retain Bobby for less than $4 million for next season by putting a second round tender on him.

Given the Salary cap constraints, I would say this is probably the best plan to try and retain him. After reading the posted article, he seems very content in Green Bay, so hopefully that won't upset him too much.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope we find a way to re-sign him. I’d even re-sign him over Aaron Jones

Within our system and especially if fiscally able to retain Jamaal, Jones just isn't worth the tag it would/will take to keep him. I hope he has a hell of a last ride with us over the coming weeks though!