Blake Bortles to Packers on 1 year deal

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice! I also read that Jim McMahon is coming in for a tryout

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i thinks some people are going to spaz a little just because his name is very recognizable
but he's just a veteran arm
i don't think this signing says anything about rodgers' or love's future

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i thinks some people are going to spaz a little just because his name is very recognizable

I agree. I think they just need quarterbacks and they just got a veteran backup. If there's any meaning to be assigned to it-again I don't think so- I think it would apply more to Love than Rogers in his current situation.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way this means anything is if he was more expensive than Boyle.
I actually think Blake is a decent QB that played with terrible teams, hopefully this is purely short term competition or #2 if Love really isn’t ready.

I hope they told Aaron about this, cuz if not dear lord imagine the emotional response this could cause.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Why wouldn't it say something? I doubt they are signing Bortles to be the #3 QB, perhaps, but I doubt it.

So that means either they see him as the starter or as the #2. Just a matter of behind who? Which means either Aaron is out or they feel Love isn't ready to be the #2.

I also doubt this this a "lets kick the tires on a 29 year old veteran and bring him in as a camp arm."

Their is purpose behind this

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why wouldn't it say something? I doubt they are signing Bortles to be the #3 QB, perhaps, but I doubt it.

So that means either they see him as the starter or as the #2. Just a matter of behind who? Which means either Aaron is out or they feel Love isn't ready to be the #2.

Have to figure that he was a top 5 pick for a reason once upon a time.

I also doubt this this a "lets kick the tires on a 29 year old veteran and bring him in as a camp arm."

Their is purpose behind this

Could be part of leverage game. By bringing in Bortles they are signaling to Rodgers that they really might accept his retirement.

Or that a Rodgers trade is in the works.

Finally its easier to work on a guys basocs if he doesnt have to be game ready. A long term qb prospect would benefit from spending a couple of years at the 3 hole, depending on how raw he is.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
My honest assessment on this is that the Packers are bringing Bortles in with little to no guarantees, which will leave them a bunch of options. He could go from simply being a camp arm to being in contention for a roster spot. Which would then mean either Rodgers sits out/is traded and there's an open competition with Love/Bortles for the starting job, or that Love simply isn't ready for the #2 spot behind Rodgers.

If it's the latter....Lord have mercy.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gute said a week ago they were going to look at bringing in qbs for offseason work and camp
they brought in a qb for offseason work and camp
that is the purpose
it's your prerogative if you want to read more into it than that, but i for one would be pretty happy if we'd just stop insisting that there is always hidden text between the lines

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It certainly could be. Sign the guy, he get's to be the no. 3 during preseason, and he's "trying out" for all 32 teams. There's no downside for Blake.

If he's crap or truly a camp arm, you cut him and pay him zero. If he's a better clipboard holder than Love this year, you keep him on the cheap for the one year. There's no downside for the team.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
gute said a week ago they were going to look at bringing in qbs for offseason work and camp
they brought in a qb for offseason work and camp
that is the purpose
it's your prerogative if you want to read more into it than that, but i for one would be pretty happy if we'd just stop insisting that there is always hidden text between the lines
It provides a perfect cover for the Packers. And perhaps you turn out to be correct and Bortles doesn't get a roster spot. But they could literally bring in just about any quarterback to be a camp arm. I think this is a little bit more than just a camp arm. I think it's an insurance policy for the Packers.

And one that really makes some sense, depending upon how things shape up with Rodgers. And if Rodgers does play this season and Love isn't ready (lol), he would be a perfect backup given his familiarity with Hackett and his experience as a starter.

I'm with PB. There's a little smoke with this fire. But on the downlow.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It provides a perfect cover for the Packers. And perhaps you turn out to be correct and Bortles doesn't get a roster spot. But they could literally bring in just about any quarterback to be a camp arm. I think this is a little bit more than just a camp arm. I think it's an insurance policy for the Packers.

And one that really makes some sense, depending upon how things shape up with Rodgers. And if Rodgers does play this season and Love isn't ready (lol), he would be a perfect backup given his familiarity with Hackett and his experience as a starter.

I'm with PB. There's a little smoke with this fire. But on the downlow.

I doubt this came without some upfront money. Pretty expensive #3 QB for a team with cap issues. The more I let this sink in, it feels like this is insurance on Rodgers not playing. Given the Packers M.O. over the last several season, when was the last time they had a veteran with any kind of experience for their backup? Kizer was the closest thing and I think he was just an easy piece in a trade for Randall that gave the Packers a project with some potential upside.

Most definitely not a camp arm and I really don't think meant to be a back up to Rodgers.

Optimistic outlook. Bortles was willing to sign for Vet. min and no guarantees and he and Rodgers are best friends that golf together.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I think this is a little bit more than just a camp arm. I think it's an insurance policy for the Packers.
Not a lot of decent vets on the open market, getting one on a one year deal makes sense with all the uncertainty at the position.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Lol doubt it.

No matter what, they need at least 2 qb...and normally carry 3..There are now three..

Settle down everyone..
I doubt Bortles is coming to be a 3rd string QB. If he's on the roster in week 1, he'll either be 1st string (Rodgers gone) or 2nd string (Love not being ready).

Members online

Latest posts