Biggest off field incident in packers history

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deuce! I was going to mention this if no one else did.

Brandon Underwood deserves an honorable mention. The man brings two strippers back to a condo where multiple team mates were staying, has his fun with them and then refuses to payup... genius!

LOL , what a turd. Well ... at least he wasn't trying to "make it rain", while some innocent dude got shot and paralyzed.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I think that Davenpoop's incident occurred right before he was drafted. It only came to light later on - so, that was a pre-Packers poop. Speaking of which, couple of weeks ago, I had a homeless/mentally ill woman take a crap in my employee parking lot...right between two employee vehicles and right in front of a mortgage closing office w/ one-way windows...and eight people in that office. Man...we'd have allowed her to use our facilities, we always do.

Anyway, back on topic... without question in my mind, the worst off-the-field incident and the ensuing public relations nightmare that came with it was Brett flying into Green Bay after coming out of retirement. It was so painfully obvious to me that NOTHING good was going to come of that and I got to watch it unfold live on local TV ... cripes, the local TV stations were giving departure times from Mississippi and ETA's for Green Bay... it was like watching O.J. Simpson's "high speed chase" on the LA interstate system unfold.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a great question. Because the media protected people back in the day, I wouldn't put Hornung's gambling suspension in 1963 up there. I'd say the Mark Chmura case. Johnny Jolly and others have had the drug or drinking thing, but Chmura was in a hot tub with high school chics, and although he was acquitted ... something shady did happen that night. Otherwise, nothing would have come of it. So, # 1, I'd vote for the Chmura case.

After that, I'd say Mossy Cade and James Lofton were definitely big-time incidents. Cade went to prison. Lofton got shipped out, having been one of the greatest receivers in team history. Eddie Lee Ivery had a huge coke problem, but he never got caught, he just got addicted.

The Chmura case would top the list for me, though that is mostly due in part to the fact that most of the other incidents I was not born yet to know about. I don't agree that "something shady did happen that night", at least for the rational of nothing would have come from it otherwise. I've seen plenty or professionals, from all walks of life, lose their career over the accusation of impropriety regardless of the accusation's basis in fact.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Chmura case would top the list for me, though that is mostly due in part to the fact that most of the other incidents I was not born yet to know about. I don't agree that "something shady did happen that night", at least for the rational of nothing would have come from it otherwise. I've seen plenty or professionals, from all walks of life, lose their career over the accusation of impropriety regardless of the accusation's basis in fact.

Well ... of course, it's entirely possible that nothing shady happened that night. I wasn't there and I have no intention of judging Chmura on anything, when I have no proof of anything, etc. Regardless, something still doesn't seem quite right about the whole thing. I would find it very hard to believe, that some 16-year-old high school chic, would just create this story out of nowhere and accuse Chmura of inappropriately touching her or whatever, just to milk him for his money, and cause the backlash that it created. Most of the time, it's adults who do that, not kids. 16 year-olds are more busy being 16, being in high school, hanging out, getting stoned, and just being kids. That's my common sense take on it.

You're right ... it's possible that nothing shady happened, but personally, I think something did happen. If I recall, it was discussed in court, that Chmura and this chic were in the bathroom together, alone. Uh, nothing good comes out of that scenario. Nothing.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

I love irony. Particularly where the Chewy matter was involved. Chewy was a vocal fan of Rush Limbaugh and went on his show to announce he was refusing to go to the White House after the Packer's SB31 victory because he had a problem with Bill Clinton's morals.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As a professional I can attest that there is much to be said about behaving in a manner beyond reproach. Do you have to be perfect... no but you probably shouldn't show up completely blitzed at a post prom party at 330 in the morning. You also probably shouldn't jump into a hot tub with a bunch of 16 and 17 year old girls some of whom are wearing only their unmentionables. Finally you definitely shouldn't jump into that hot tub while you are in your briefs, nevermind that his house was just down the street and that he could have acquired his bathing suit if he wanted to.

As for the allegations, the police investigation revealed that there was some ****** contact even though there wasn't any DNA evidence linking Chmura to the girl. There were also a number of neutral witnesses who stated that the two did go into a bathroom together. It's been a heck of a long time since I have looked at the burdens of proof for criminal matters but of course felony charges require "Beyond reasonable doubt," and I believe that misdemeanors require the middle BoP which is Clear and Convincing. Put into number you basically have preponderance of the evidence/more likely than not= 51% certain, Clear and Convincing= 70% certain and of course and finally Beyond reasonable doubt at around 90% certain. You won't find these numbers in the statutes but that's how these are taught in Law School, typically. Anyways the evidence provided would have likely failed as to the felony charges. The 4th Degree ****** Assault misdemeanor charge would have likely resulted in a conviction or plea bargain had Mr. Chmura not armed himself with crack representation. I think the third party witness statements were damning to Mr. Chmura for anything short of a felony trial.

As the old saying goes Justice may be blind but she can certainly hear the jingle of a coin purse.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a professional ...
I don't agree that "something shady did happen that night", at least for the rational of nothing would have come from it otherwise.

Never meant to imply that I thought Chewy was innocent of impropriety, only that I found the rationale for saying such by PackerFlatLander in the post that I quoted entirely weak and besides the point. Sorry for not being more clear on that point.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of my favorite sights at packer games is pre college age girls in mark chmura jerseys. I laugh every time.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Davenpoop's incident occurred right before he was drafted. It only came to light later on - so, that was a pre-Packers poop. Speaking of which, couple of weeks ago, I had a homeless/mentally ill woman take a crap in my employee parking lot...right between two employee vehicles and right in front of a mortgage closing office w/ one-way windows...and eight people in that office. Man...we'd have allowed her to use our facilities, we always do.

Anyway, back on topic... without question in my mind, the worst off-the-field incident and the ensuing public relations nightmare that came with it was Brett flying into Green Bay after coming out of retirement. It was so painfully obvious to me that NOTHING good was going to come of that and I got to watch it unfold live on local TV ... cripes, the local TV stations were giving departure times from Mississippi and ETA's for Green Bay... it was like watching O.J. Simpson's "high speed chase" on the LA interstate system unfold.
I had my whole family there for Family Night, I think. I remember watching his box and wishing I could be a fly on the wall.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never meant to imply that I thought Chewy was innocent of impropriety, only that I found the rationale for saying such by PackerFlatLander in the post that I quoted entirely weak and besides the point. Sorry for not being more clear on that point.

That much I certainly can agree with, I hope I did not come across as confrontational.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been a Packer fan since '81. I've seen the 3 mentioned above, but I'd like to add one to it. Back in the mid 90's when Brett sent himself to rehab it was the biggest story in the league, none of the others mentioned earlier in the thread were huge outside of Green Bay except MAYBE for Lofton. It was a 'football player doing good' thing instead of a screw-up, but it was an off field thing, and it was the biggest in the league at the time.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I
I've been a Packer fan since '81. I've seen the 3 mentioned above, but I'd like to add one to it. Back in the mid 90's when Brett sent himself to rehab it was the biggest story in the league, none of the others mentioned earlier in the thread were huge outside of Green Bay except MAYBE for Lofton. It was a 'football player doing good' thing instead of a screw-up, but it was an off field thing, and it was the biggest in the league at the time.
I actually forgot all about that one. Good call.

That much I certainly can agree with, I hope I did not come across as confrontational.
Not really, I just felt the need to reiterate that point. No affront preceived.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's a great point. I can't believe no one mentioned it. It should be top 3. MVP QB goes to rehab? Espn would have it on a 24 hour loop these days. Then he wins the SB that year? Can't write them better than that.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Brett in rehab gets lost because the internet was at it infancy...But it is a great point..

I havent read all but what about Reggie White and his blasting of race and ****?

http://www3.jsonline.com/packer/sbxxxiii/news/white32598.stm
In making a point about the need for all races to work together, White discussed differences between races that many lawmakers said they found to be inappropriate stereotypes. Among his comments about races:

Blacks: "When you look at the black race, black people are very gifted in what we call worship and celebration. A lot of us like to dance, and if you go to a black church, you see people jumping up and down because they really get into it."

Whites: "White people were blessed with the gift of structure and organization. You guys do a good job with building businesses and things of that nature. And you know how to tap into money pretty much better than a lot of people around the world."

Hispanics: "Hispanics were gifted in family structure. You see a Hispanic person, and they can put 20 or 30 people in one home."

Asians: "When you look at the Asian, the Asian is very gifted in creativity and invention. If you go to Japan or any Asian country, they can turn a television into a watch. They are very creative."

"When you put all of that together, guess what it makes? It forms the complete image of God," he said.

In another part of his address, while talking about sin, White said "one of the biggest ones" is homosexuality.
He added he was offended that homosexuals "compare their plight with the plight of black people" and say they they have been persecuted and discriminated against. "Homosexuality is a decision; it's not a race," White said.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my time, it was Hornung's suspension. Overall, I would say it was Green Bay getting kicked out of the league in 1921 for using college players. Everyone was doing it, but the Packers had a college player the Bears wanted, so Halas snitched on the Packers and got them kicked out of the league, allowing Halas to sign the player while Lambeau applied to be reinstated. Just another reason to hate the team in Illinois.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
In my time, it was Hornung's suspension. Overall, I would say it was Green Bay getting kicked out of the league in 1921 for using college players. Everyone was doing it, but the Packers had a college player the Bears wanted, so Halas snitched on the Packers and got them kicked out of the league, allowing Halas to sign the player while Lambeau applied to be reinstated. Just another reason to hate the team in Illinois.

I would agree with the Hornung issue being number one simply because of the high profile nature. He was much more famous than Chewy or those others. Remember, he was called "The Golden Boy." But the other cases mentioned in previous posts all have some merit.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing about Reggie's thing was he wasn't a Packer anymore when he did it. He was either retired or a member of the Panthers when he did it. (That is IF memory is working today)

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing about Reggie's thing was he wasn't a Packer anymore when he did it. He was either retired or a member of the Panthers when he did it. (That is IF memory is working today)
He was retired as I recall. Frankly, although I found his comments offensive and outdated, I supported his right to speak his mind. I just was sad for him. I also don't expect my sports heroes to be anything more than great performers on the field. Of course, I do expect them to be law abiding, apparently unlike Aaron Hernandez. When I can root for them off the field like Aaron Rodgers or Donald Driver I consider it a bonus.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you go back to the 1930's era, some of the things Johnny "Blood" McNally did would be front page stuff today. Curly Lambeau's antics off the field are also stuff of legend. Hornung was an infamous drinker- womanizer. But nothing, and I mean nothing, tops the Mossy Cade-James Lofton stuff. I read the criminal complaints in both cases. Cade tried to force sex on a step-inlaw. Lofton had a quick act in a stairway of a building with a woman he cavorted with that night.(As I remember it his wife was pregnant at the time). Apparently his "friend" expected more and was told to say good-bye, so she went to the police.(As I recall she also was married).
Two ****** assault trials the within the same month in Green Bay involving two prominent players.

H

HardRightEdge

If you go back to the 1930's era, some of the things Johnny "Blood" McNally did would be front page stuff today. Curly Lambeau's antics off the field are also stuff of legend. Hornung was an infamous drinker- womanizer. But nothing, and I mean nothing, tops the Mossy Cade-James Lofton stuff. I read the criminal complaints in both cases. Cade tried to force sex on a step-inlaw. Lofton had a quick act in a stairway of a building with a woman he cavorted with that night.(As I remember it his wife was pregnant at the time). Apparently his "friend" expected more and was told to say good-bye, so she went to the police.(As I recall she also was married).
Two ****** assault trials the within the same month in Green Bay involving two prominent players.

Yeah, I'd have to go with Cade at #1. It was an aunt by marriage. 15 month prison sentence. To add insult to injury, Gregg traded a 1st. round pick for him, one of the worst trades in Packer history. Of course, the Vikes signed him after we cut him (not a joke), though he never played another down.

Latest posts