Biggest off field incident in packers history

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With everything going on with Hernandez, I was wondering, what was the biggest controversy, that was off the field, in packers history?

3 come to mind but would like to hear from you guys

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a great question. Because the media protected people back in the day, I wouldn't put Hornung's gambling suspension in 1963 up there. I'd say the Mark Chmura case. Johnny Jolly and others have had the drug or drinking thing, but Chmura was in a hot tub with high school chics, and although he was acquitted ... something shady did happen that night. Otherwise, nothing would have come of it. So, # 1, I'd vote for the Chmura case.

After that, I'd say Mossy Cade and James Lofton were definitely big-time incidents. Cade went to prison. Lofton got shipped out, having been one of the greatest receivers in team history. Eddie Lee Ivery had a huge coke problem, but he never got caught, he just got addicted.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a great question. Because the media protected people back in the day, I wouldn't put Hornung's gambling suspension in 1963 up there. I'd say the Mark Chmura case. Johnny Jolly and others have had the drug or drinking thing, but Chmura was in a hot tub with high school chics, and although he was acquitted ... something shady did happen that night. Otherwise, nothing would have come of it. So, # 1, I'd vote for the Chmura case.

After that, I'd say Mossy Cade and James Lofton were definitely big-time incidents. Cade went to prison. Lofton got shipped out, having been one of the greatest receivers in team history. Eddie Lee Ivery had a huge coke problem, but he never got caught, he just got addicted.

Criminal acts committed by players like Mossey Cade, James Lofton and Mark Chmura were extensively reported by Green Bay and national media. Cade and Lofton were tried before a jury in Brown County Court. Both trials had juriors chosen from outside of Green Bay / Brown County. Cade was found guilty and
Lofton was found innocent by those juries . Chmura was put on trial and found innocent in the Milwaukee area , where he lived .

Hornung gambling was heavily reported by Green Bay and national media
media. In fact, Hornung was suspended for one year by NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle.

However it was rumored in the 1960's, Players who commmitted misdemeanors in Green Bay/ Brown County (example fighting in public or drinking too much and causing disturbance in public) were reported to the Packers by local police but not to the media. Then Vince Lombardi would deal with players . I t was said they feared Vince more than the local police.
It was said Vince once fined Paul Hornung $500 for missing a Curfew. Back in 1950's and 1960's $500 considered a lot of money.

In th0se early days , Green Bay was much smaller city than today and everyone knew when a Packer player broke the law in public. Many times media knew nothing about the Packer situation , Yet "by word of mouth" everybody in Green Bay knew what the Packer player did in public (Bar or night club etc.)

In the modern era, everything done by Packer playes is reported by media

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well strictly going off of your question of biggest "controversy" it has to be the Brett Favre retirement/trade. However, I think that your intent was for a player involved in improprieties so I would say Hornung is #1 followed by Chewy.

Luckily our team's history doesn't have too many options to choose from

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, New England and Aaron Thug Hernandez has a little problem right about now.

Not only is he about to get arrested involving a murder, he also is about to be sued over shooting someone else in the face, in the state of Florida.

I still think he somehow walks, like Ray Lewis and Marvin Harrison did.
Funny you can be a part of a murder and walk, but if you pat your attorney on the butt like Chad Johnson just did, you will have to serve time.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, New England and Aaron Thug Hernandez has a little problem right about now.

Not only is he about to get arrested involving a murder, he also is about to be sued over shooting someone else in the face, in the state of Florida.

I still think he somehow walks, like Ray Lewis and Marvin Harrison did.
Funny you can be a part of a murder and walk, but if you pat your attorney on the butt like Chad Johnson just did, you will have to serve time.

Well Lewis walked when ever witness besides a convicted con man said he tried to break up the fight.

Did Harrison even go to trial?

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dan Devine's dog being shot by a Packer fan. :)

Ha, yeah ... that made me laugh. I dunno - there's been plenty of documented testimony that the dog story was BS. I'd put Dan Devine and Forrest Gregg in the same category of horsecrap, when it comes to their tenures as Packers head coaches. Devine single-handedly lost the playoff game to the Redskins in '72, by intentionally passing the ball all game, when Starr noticed that the 'Skins run D was never in position. Devine didn't like being undermined, so he never ran Brockington and Lane, to spite Starr's supposed insubordination. Then, the ridiculous John Hadl trade, capped it off.

Gregg was so damn jealous that Ditka had a far better team in Chicago, that he responded by resorting to tactics, such as ordering Mark Lee to shove Payton over the bench, threatening Ken Stills' starting spot, unless he leveled Matt Suhey, well after the whistle, and of course ... the Charles Martin advocating of the hit-list towel and flagrant slam of McMahon, was the last straw. Being a kid and a Packer fan in Illinois, while the Bears were defending world champs, while all this childish garbage was going on ... I never wanted to put a paper bag over my head any worse than that. I hated Forrest Gregg as the head coach. He was despicable.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dan Devine's dog being shot by a Packer fan. :)

Raptorman, get the facts about Devine's neighbor killing Devine's dog in 1972
from an article in Classic Wisconsin magazine

of Dan Devine's Dog - Classic Wisconsin

Among the prospects were Missouri's Dan Devine, Penn State's Joe Paterno, and
... at least on the surface -- in 1972, as Devine led his modestly talented team to a
10-4 ... explicitly reported that disgruntled Packer fans had killed Devine's dog.
http://www.classicwisconsin.com/features/dandog.html - 35k - Cached - Similar Pages

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Raptorman, get the facts about Devine's neighbor killing Devine's dog in 1972
from an article in Classic Wisconsin magazine

of Dan Devine's Dog - Classic Wisconsin

Among the prospects were Missouri's Dan Devine, Penn State's Joe Paterno, and
... at least on the surface -- in 1972, as Devine led his modestly talented team to a
10-4 ... explicitly reported that disgruntled Packer fans had killed Devine's dog.
http://www.classicwisconsin.com/features/dandog.html - 35k - Cached - Similar Pages
I know all about Devine's dog, who really killed him and why. Not like I didn't live in the area when it went down. Devine was one of the most beloved Packer coaches in history. I remember seeing this on numerous doors in Appleton at the time. "Welcome" and in a hand written note tapped under the welcome, "Expect if your Dan Devine". "Except" is French for "we love you" isn't it? :)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't remember it, bit young then, but it has to be Paul Hornung. Imagine Hornung, a Heisman Trophy winner; 1st overall draft pick; having a HOF career, at the height of his career, gets suspended for a year for gambling.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Far from being a top 3 mention, but don't forget Najeh Davenport and the business he did.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Far from being a top 3 mention, but don't forget Najeh Davenport and the business he did.

Deuce! I was going to mention this if no one else did.

Brandon Underwood deserves an honorable mention. The man brings two strippers back to a condo where multiple team mates were staying, has his fun with them and then refuses to payup... genius!

Members online

Latest posts