Bigger plans for Elton Jenkins?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bahk is undoubtably the best tackle in football, and he’s due for a major payday..but will it come from Green Bay?

Green Bay is really high on Elton Jenkins, hasn’t given up a sack in his career I believe. His athletic ability and great feet have allowed him to excel at Guard in the NFL...but Is it possible that Jenkins is actually being groomed to be the LT of the NEAR future? I mean if he’s really as good as advertised why not? Gives the Packers the option to use the 70 plus million they’d have to pay Bahk over 4 yrs or so on other pieces. Linsley, Jones, Lane Taylor, Ervin, King, Jamal Williams, Sullivan, and Robert Tonyan are all in the final years of their contracts. ALL those guys have played a lot this season and contributes to this 3-0 start. If the Packers were to let Bahk walk the line could look like this going into 2021.

LT Elton Jenkins
LG Patrick\Runyan
C Cory Linsley
RG Billy Turner
RT Rick Wagner

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he can play Tackle as well as he plays guard, line him up and find new guards. But from what it seems, Bakhtiari is a priority in GB too. Sounds like they're trying to get a deal done with him next.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what the sportswriters were discussing this weekend

It’s interesting..because although I don’t live in Green Bay, I haven’t heard any talk on if they have been trying to extend Bahk or not. I want Bahk here, and I’m sure Rodgers does as well...but if you like Elton Jenkins that much and you truly believe he’s one of the best o linemen in football already...then do you roll the dice and throw him out at left tackle? I believe what happens with Linsley will actually tell us a a lot. No way you can let both Linsley and Bahk leave....but I don’t think they re-sign them BOTH either.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he can play Tackle as well as he plays guard, line him up and find new guards. But from what it seems, Bakhtiari is a priority in GB too. Sounds like they're trying to get a deal done with him next.

So in that case/scenario we could be looking at this type of o line going into 2021.

LT Bahk
LG Wagner
C????
RG Turner
RT Jenkins

I put a ?? At Center because if they resign Bahk, Linsley isn’t getting resigned. Maybe Patrick slides in at center? Or maybe even Billy Turner and Runyan slides to Guard. But guys like King, Ervin, Williams, Lewis, and maybe even Sullivan are In jeopardy of not being resigned.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
for how linsley has been playing, i'd look at cutting turner to make some room and re-signing him. A bit of a change from my opinion 2 months ago LOL

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I thought I read that as Elton John :eek:. New glasses ordered.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

They say people see what they want to see, Billy is proof positive on that :)

I would LOVE to see Elton John getting the **** kicked out of him every week.....lol. He`s a horrible person.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
for how linsley has been playing, i'd look at cutting turner to make some room and re-signing him. A bit of a change from my opinion 2 months ago LOL

Well I believe it’s Football Focus that has the Packers o-line rated as the best in the NFL. Can we upgrade from Turner tho? Absolutely.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If Jenkins is capable of playing either tackle position at a high level, it would be foolish not to use him in that capacity, as it's a much higher value than iOL.

However, I wouldn't want them to take an outstanding guard and turn him into a mediocre tackle. So it really would depend on how well he transitions.

Athletically, he should be capable. He had good agility numbers across the board and he has the length (34" arms). It would just be unusual for a college guard to become a good pro tackle. But being unusual doesn't mean it can't work.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Jenkins is capable of playing either tackle position at a high level, it would be foolish not to use him in that capacity, as it's a much higher value than iOL.

However, I wouldn't want them to take an outstanding guard and turn him into a mediocre tackle. So it really would depend on how well he transitions.

Athletically, he should be capable. He had good agility numbers across the board and he has the length (34" arms). It would just be unusual for a college guard to become a good pro tackle. But being unusual doesn't mean it can't work.

Yep

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as if we needed proof 2020 is one crazy year, Rodell and I are agreeing on something

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather see a OL like this

LT: Bahk
LG: Elton Jenkins
C: Lucas Patrick.
RG: Runyan
RT: Turner

Bahktiari is the best LT in the NFL right now IMO I do not want to see him walk out the door as good as Jenkins is replacing Bahk would be a tremendously difficult task.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Here's the thing. If they thought he could excell enough at Tackle to make it worthwhile to move him from Guard they wouldve done it THIS year and not bothered signing Wagner

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is...if we don't sign Bak; we can sign everyone else. Tempting to me. But they need to feel comfortable with a LT.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this Elton is so great why isn't he out there playing? Personally I just want to continue seeing Elgton excel for us LOL :D

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's the thing. If they thought he could excell enough at Tackle to make it worthwhile to move him from Guard they wouldve done it THIS year and not bothered signing Wagner

Maybe so. I don't expect it to happen, but if he's good enough to do it, it's not a bad idea.

ColoradoPacker51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don’t let the best LT in football walk. You make signing him the number one priority. Then it’s Jones, and then Lindsley. Good offensive lineman are hard to find these days, and when you have two of best at their position, you resign these guys. Corey is highly underrated and Bhaktiari is best in the game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he’s a good RT I could see it. I do think DBakh should be and is a priority for us.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bahk is undoubtably the best tackle in football, and he’s due for a major payday..but will it come from Green Bay?

Green Bay is really high on Elton Jenkins, hasn’t given up a sack in his career I believe. His athletic ability and great feet have allowed him to excel at Guard in the NFL...but Is it possible that Jenkins is actually being groomed to be the LT of the NEAR future? I mean if he’s really as good as advertised why not? Gives the Packers the option to use the 70 plus million they’d have to pay Bahk over 4 yrs or so on other pieces. Linsley, Jones, Lane Taylor, Ervin, King, Jamal Williams, Sullivan, and Robert Tonyan are all in the final years of their contracts. ALL those guys have played a lot this season and contributes to this 3-0 start. If the Packers were to let Bahk walk the line could look like this going into 2021.

LT Elton Jenkins
LG Patrick\Runyan
C Cory Linsley
RG Billy Turner
RT Rick Wagner

You're more likely to see

LT: Bakhtiari
LG: Patrick
C: Jenkins
RG: Runyway

ColoradoPacker51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're more likely to see

LT: Bakhtiari
LG: Patrick
C: Jenkins
RG: Runyway

I honestly feel they would not use Jenkins as the C in this scenario. I feel Runyon Or Patrick are more likely to move there over Jenkins. I would like to see us resign Linsley but I could see us not, as he might be too expensive.

D

Deleted member 6794

I honestly feel they would not use Jenkins as the C in this scenario. I feel Runyon Or Patrick are more likely to move there over Jenkins. I would like to see us resign Linsley but I could see us not, as he might be too expensive.

It's all but guaranteed that the Packers don't have the cap space to re-sign Linsley after this season.

I agree that there's no reason to believe the team plans on moving Jenkins to center as he's more valuable at other positions.

Other than that it's too early to make an educated guess on how the offensive line will look like entering the 2021 season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Patrick is #2 on the depth chart at Center and has played there before when needed.